Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Wcm71
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead 911

I have some serious issues. I wrote y'all a week ago talking about my bike fading out on the top end of each gear about half throttle. Since then I rebuilt carburetor putting in new Jets 33 and a 67 unfortunately this did not solve the problem . I also wrote about my compression and realized with the response that I did the compression check wrong. The compression was 110 and 115 and that was cold and the throttle closed. I recheck compression yesterday after work and got some odd numbers. I did run the bike this time didn't check the compression the numbers I got was 145 and 130. 130 being on the number one cylinder. My gauge came from Harbor freight so I thought maybe this could be the issue with the numbers. Today I brought home an oil filled gauge to replace the cheap one . I started my bike to let warm-up I was given it some gas and it jumped into gear and shutdown. I put it back in neutral and the engine will not turn over. I also cannot engage the clutch to go through the gears. At this point I really don't know what to do and hope y'all have some ideas.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

my guess the trans selector spring or springs have broken causing the bike to just select a gear while running and then jam - and now you cant get it out of gear

Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Wcm71
Intermediate

I'm completely unable to turn the back wheel while in gear.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

you will need the books and some tools - remove the primary - remove the rear chain and primary chain - try to turn the motor to split the issue into 2 groups - report back

Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcm71
I'm completely unable to turn the back wheel while in gear.
Remove the spark plugs, then try again. Rotate the rear wheel forward until it clicks to a stop then shift the gear toward neutral. It will go past neutral into first. Then get it back to neutral.

Originally Posted by Wcm71
... I rebuilt carburetor putting in new Jets 33 and a 67 unfortunately this did not solve the problem . I also wrote about my compression and realized with the response that I did the compression check wrong. The compression was 110 and 115 and that was cold and the throttle closed. I recheck compression yesterday after work and got some odd numbers. I did run the bike this time didn't check the compression the numbers I got was 145 and 130. 130 being on the number one cylinder. My gauge came from Harbor freight so I thought maybe this could be the issue with the numbers. Today I brought home an oil filled gauge to replace the cheap one . I started my bike to let warm-up I was given it some gas and it jumped into gear and shutdown. I put it back in neutral and the engine will not turn over. I also cannot engage the clutch to go through the gears ...
What carb do you have in there?

Starting and running the engine in the shop will not get it warmed up properly for a compression test. Take it out for a ride, not in city traffic, for 15 to 30 minutes. Then it is fully warmed up and you will get the best results. If you got 110/115 cold with throttle closed then there is not a problem with the engine. A proper test should give you at 140 or more in each cylinder.

When it jumped into gear it was probably not completely in neutral, or perhaps it was in a false neutral between, say, 2nd and 3rd gears or whatever.

What do you mean by "I put it back in neutral and the engine will not turn over"? What actually does happen? There should be fuel and spark - is the battery run down?

What actually happens when you try to "engage the clutch to go through the gears"? When you try to pull the lever in does it just go floppy? If not sit on the bike and rock it back and forth as you try to shift etc.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Wcm71
Intermediate

Mick I believe you're right I think it jumped out of neutral into a gear. This morning on my way out I attempted to start again had my charger on the battery all night it did turn over. Big relief so far still unsure about why the carburetor at half throttle stalls I have a super B carb. The old jets that were in it was a 32 and a 110 now I have a 33 and 67.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

bike fading out on the top end of each gear about half throttle

I am not familiar with the S&S carbs.

Could be fuel level too low in float bowl so it just runs out. Or clogged fuel filter, which will also cause it to run out temporarily.