Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

81 Ironhead carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM
mykechambers
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Ironhead carb issues

I've got an 81 with an S&S Super E shorty on it. No matter what i do I can't get the carb adjusted right. the carb came off of another Ironhead that was running perfectly. It was running fine for a few hours then started losing power and backfiring really bad in 1st and 2nd. I put new plugs in, retuned the carb to s&s reset specs then brought it to operating temp and tuned it in and bam it was perfect. I checked for intake leaks. none. She was running great for an hour or so then went to crap. I checked the plugs and the were black so I cleaned them and tried it again. Still horrible. I had some more new plugs so I figured I'd just try them. It ran perfect...then crap after riding for 30 mins.

I'm stumped. I guess next I'll try some different jets on it but I didn't think I would need to as it was fine on the other bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I'm new here. Thanks.

Last edited by mykechambers; 08-09-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

turn the acc pump almost off it flooding the engine every time you turn the throttle

the oil might have a gas smell to it as well

Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Running well then not well when warmed up is a classic symptom of a bad ignition coil or a bad ignition module. There are no really satisfactory tests for either of these components.

You can fool with the reg using a hair dryer to heat it up or canned compressed air to cool it down hoping to create or remove the overheat condition. IMO best to just buy a new coil. If it does not fix the problem keep it - a good working coil is a useful tool to have for testing.

There is virtually no way to test most ignition modules, altho there is an 8-step troubleshooting procedure in the 99484-85 Factory Service Manual for the 80 to 82 module. Again, best IMO is to buy a new one.

The Ultima kit with both an ignition module and a matching ignition coil is often on eBay for $154.95 Highly recommended. I think this one has expired but it will come up again ...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=261557832099

Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 AM
mykechambers
Stage III

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
turn the acc pump almost off it flooding the engine every time you turn the throttle

the oil might have a gas smell to it as well
I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 AM
mykechambers
Stage III

Originally Posted by IronMick
Running well then not well when warmed up is a classic symptom of a bad ignition coil or a bad ignition module. There are no really satisfactory tests for either of these components.

You can fool with the reg using a hair dryer to heat it up or canned compressed air to cool it down hoping to create or remove the overheat condition. IMO best to just buy a new coil. If it does not fix the problem keep it - a good working coil is a useful tool to have for testing.

There is virtually no way to test most ignition modules, altho there is an 8-step troubleshooting procedure in the 99484-85 Factory Service Manual for the 80 to 82 module. Again, best IMO is to buy a new one.

The Ultima kit with both an ignition module and a matching ignition coil is often on eBay for $154.95 Highly recommended. I think this one has expired but it will come up again ...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=261557832099
I had a feeling that might be the case. Thank you!!