J&M Motorcycle Audio Providing the industry's best motorcycle audio products for 32 years. If you have any questions for J&M, reach out directly to John here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Corp/HD-Forums VIP Tech Assist & Cust Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Tailwind ,,,,,,

I apologize for the confusion ,,,,

all J&M ROKKER and Performance series amplifiers, are set up from J&M for the STOCK HARLEY FLASH, and they work very well (((see http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=55 ,,,,,, and http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=49 ,,,,,

"IF" However, you want to take things a step further in terms of minimum distortion and maximum volume, J&M can perform a special FLASH on your Harley radio, ((that the Harley dealer is NOT able to perform)) and then specially tune the amp for that exact J&M/Harley radio flash,,,,,

that is the option ,,,,,,,,

Old 03-27-2016, 04:42 PM
swampfox44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006-2013 HK/J&M flash update.

Hey John, I have a 2003 EG Ultra Classic, I just swapped the factory Stereo Sound head unit for an Harman Kardon unit from a 2013 Street Glide. I converted my factory Ultra 23 pin plug to the updated 35 pin plug. I installed a new J&M kit for the 2006-2013 Ultra Classic. 500W DSP amp kit, 7.25" XX ROKKER front speakers with mid/tweet grills, High Performance 5.25" rears with mid/tweet grills. It sounds way better than factory but, I just can't seem to get the bass and treble levels tuned to my liking. I'm getting distortion at 3/4 volume with demo disc and at lower levels with some of my own cds and ipod. I saw in a previous thread J&M offered a custom flash/update for the HK head unit and also enabled the fader controls. My current software is ST10 v8.25.0. Would this flash update offer anything beneficial for my setup, sound and tuning?
Is J&M per chance coming to the Myrtle Beach South Carolina Spring Rally in May?

Thanks, Mark

Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 PM
COZWV
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed your Rokker XX Extreme Kit (Speakers and AMP) in my 2014 SGS. Mid's and highs are amazing as is most of the bass BUT The really low bass songs sound terrible. The bass is really mushy or sorta like reverb? This was really apparent when playing "Nickleback - Animal" from the provided thumb drive of sample songs. It really seems to sound like the speakers are starving for air in a sense? Any thoughts?

Also, I did NOT drill any holes in the Speaker Pods but the instructions say it doesn't matter other than temps?

Last edited by COZWV; 03-31-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:51 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Swampfox ,,,,,,

sounds like you did a god job on that conversion to the later model Harley HK radio ,,,,,

please put the J&M demo disk back in, go to track #2 volume to maximum and tell me how much distortion you hear ,,,,

is the Harley HK radio you installed ever been serviced by Iron Cross Audio ? ,,,,

COZVW ,,,,,,

that extreme kit you purchased is the very best that we can do so far, using the stock Harley flash on the radio ,,,,,,

if you want to go to a custom radio flash and non-greenband RCA input harnesses, you can take another step up in performance ,,,,

please take a look at this video for full details on the options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MsC1naLYY ,,,,,

what state is the bike in right now ?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:06 PM
COZWV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Swampfox ,,,,,,

sounds like you did a god job on that conversion to the later model Harley HK radio ,,,,,

please put the J&M demo disk back in, go to track #2 volume to maximum and tell me how much distortion you hear ,,,,

is the Harley HK radio you installed ever been serviced by Iron Cross Audio ? ,,,,

COZVW ,,,,,,

that extreme kit you purchased is the very best that we can do so far, using the stock Harley flash on the radio ,,,,,,

if you want to go to a custom radio flash and non-greenband RCA input harnesses, you can take another step up in performance ,,,,

please take a look at this video for full details on the options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MsC1naLYY ,,,,,

I am in WV and so far have tried the following:

Removed the speaker pods and checked speaker grills, added some RTV silicone to edges to make sure no rattle or vibration was produced. Removed tweeter grills. Drilled a 2 inch hole in the Speaker Pods and added some polyfill. The deep bass is still just terrible sounding. Sounds just like a speaker that is busted. I even turned the bass way down on the HD Audio and those deep bass sounds are still very mushy. I will try to upload a video.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
COZWV
Cruiser

Here is a video I took today with your Demo Music Drive. Notice the Bass thump is very washed out or mushy as I describe it?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM
COZWV
Cruiser

Swampfox ,,,,,,

COZVW ,,,,,,

So what does going non-greenband RCA and a flash do for me that the Rokker Extreme doesn't? At this point I need to either return the speakers or have a viable option that works. I just can't imagine that this bass is normal? I've heard two bikes with your system. One was older but the other was a new 2015 SGS. I had a 2013 SG that I had put a RF Amp and Polk Speakers in and I do not remember ever hearing anything like the mushy bass I am hearing now?

After watching your video it seems like the greenband RCA is not taking out the distorted bass as that sounds like an exact description of what is happening to me? Do you think there may be an issue with my Greenband wire?

Last edited by COZWV; 04-06-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 PM
swampfox44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swampfox ,,,,,,

COZVW ,,,,,,

Hey JMJOHN,
Sorry for delay posting reply, work has been hectic. Got a chance earlier to check system. Played track 2 on demo disc, full volume, bass 2 above center, treble center. Had borderline distortion on fairing speakers and I did have distortion on rear pod speakers. I do not know if Iron Cross has ever serviced the unit but, it does have an HDPDPLUS iPod interface purchased from them. I will contact previous owner and ask. A good bit of my personal music has a moderate amount of bass and it really gives alot of distortion at higher volume levels. I've adjusted the bass a good bit lower but, the result is overbearing highs. Any suggestions would be appreciated, the J&M System sounds a heck of alot better than stock but, I just haven't found the happy medium yet. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

swampfox44 ,,,,,,

various types of music sources will play thru the Harley HK radio of that era, with varying amounts of distortion especially at maximum volume ,,,,,,

we try and set all ROKKER amplifiers so that the average gain level coming thru the input is good and loud, but especially with the Hartley iPod controllers etc, there can be distortion at different volume levels ,,,,,

Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

COZWV ,,,,,,

as we have shown in this video many times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MsC1naLYY ,,,,,,,,, the very best performance available today is with the special J&M/Harley radio FLASH only available now using the Diag4bike software package ,,,,,,

prior to September 5th 2015, ANY Harley dealer could FLASH the radio in this manner, and that is how we tuned all of the ROKKER XX extreme kits for prior to that time ,,,,, but that all changed for the Harley dealers on 09-05/2015 ,,,,

after 09-15/2015, J&M had to develop special RCA input adapters ((Green Band)) that would reduce distortion and allow the J&M ROKKER amplifiers to provide TOP performance using the STOCK HARLEY RADIO FLASH ,,,,,,

however ,,,, if you play song tracks with alot of bass at high volumes, it can still get a little muddy depending upon the particular song track ,,,,,

and that is SPECIFICALLY WHY I show in the video, the alternate flash using the Diag4bike software and the special J&M/Harley radio flash parameters, with NO-Band RCA input harensses and a properly adjusted ROKKER XXR ampliifier ,, really is the very best performance available at this time ,,,,,

so as you have indicated, your radio and ampliifer are on their way into J&M now ,,, and we will flash your radio, tune your amp, provide the J&M NO-BAND RCA input harnesses and at that point you will experience the very best performance for your audioi system, that we know how to provide ,,,

we appreciate your loyalty to the J&M Audio product line ,,,,,

Quick Reply: J&M Corp/HD-Forums VIP Tech Assist & Cust Service