J&M Motorcycle Audio Providing the industry's best motorcycle audio products for 32 years. If you have any questions for J&M, reach out directly to John here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Radio FLASH Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Harley Radio FLASH Update

In my opinion ,,, THE BEST Harley radio flash for an aftermarket amp, using the Techno-Research digital technician is as follows: ,,,,,

FIRST: 4-speakers, upper-fairing, rear-pods, no-amp ,,,,,,

SECOND: ENABLE amp #1 ,,,,,,,

THIRD: Enable amp #2 ,,,,,

that is the flash we use for all J&M ROKKER Stage4 systems ,,,,,,

it lowers the output of the radio, flattens out the EQ, activates the distortion limiters inside the DSP section of the Harley Infotainment radio ,,,,

also turns on rear channel outputs, activates front/rear fade control, bass, treble and auto-volume controls from the radio itself ,,,, (NOT relying upon Harley external amplifiers for these features) ,,,

with the 8-speaker/multiple amplifier flash using the Harley dealer’s digital technician, the radio output is lowered, but the signal is not as clean, and the front/rear fader controls are not activated inside the radio, nor do the bass/treble controls have the same effect ,,,,,

same goes with the AVC control with the Harley dealer flash ,,,,,

When using the Diag-4-bike digital technician, you will flash the radio the same way, but instead of amps #1 & #2 being “enabled” they would be set to “yes” ,,,,,

These speaker/amp configuration flashes, have nothing to do with and are NOT altered but the periodic Harley radio UPDATES performed thru the dash mounted USB port ,,,,,

In addition these radio FLASH configurations will not interfere with OR change the radio flash settings for the new Harley WHIM (wireless headset interface module) ,,,,,

There will be a new video forthcoming that will deal specifically with these Harley radio flash options ,,,,,

J&M charges $75 for this custom radio flash, (fed ex ground return shipping no/charge) ship radio only to J&M Corporation, 1415 S. Cherry Ave. Tucson AZ 85713 ,,,,,,,

send email to audio@jmcorp.com for an R/A and shipping label ,,,,

Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

The J&M website ROKKER Stage4 product section that utilizes the J&M Custom Harley radio FLASH is here for 2014-2018 Harleys ,,,, (CVOs also) ,,,,

https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=57 ,,,,,

Old 10-08-2017, 01:31 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Crickets.....lol!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:46 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

OK, so as we discussed on the other thread...

My '15 Limited has the old recommended flash from the dealer (that you can't get any more)... 8 speakers, 0 amps, amp1 yes, amp2 yes. This was actually recommended back then on your website... http://www.jmcorp.com/pdf/HarleyRadi...04-02-2015.pdf

So, some direct questions....

If I get the new flash for the HD WHIM module, won't it over write this flash? It would seem that the technician would have to select something from the menus and the old settings are no longer available? If he just accepts the defaults there goes my settings?

I understand that the Boom unit never lost the capability to be flashed correctly, just the dealer lost the capability to do it. Does the Diag 4 Bike product have the ability to set number of amps 0, amp 1 yes, amp 2 yes, 8 speakers?

If the Diag 4 Bike unit can do this, any idea of a shop in the SF bay area that has one?

Thanks for clarifying all this

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Last edited by ROCKOUT Rocker Products; 10-08-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Rockout ,,,,,

that old PDF that you showed is still exactly the same today ,,, 4-speakers, upper-fairing, rear-pods, no-amp ,,, with the second menu option on the old Harley dealer digital technician as amps #1 & #2 YES ,,,,,,,

just that the Harley dealer can no longer FLASH the Harley radios that way, MoCo took it away from them ,,,,,,

the Harley FLASH for the WHIM module does NOTHING to your current speaker/amp configuration flash ,,,,

how do I know ? ,, cause I was standing there when the Harley dealer tech flashed for the WHIM, then I went right back to the J&M R&D shop and checked the speaker/amplifier configuration flash myself ,,,,, no changes ,,,,

Yes ,,, the Diag-4-bike & the Techno-research unit can do all of the Harley radio flashes that the Harley dealer can no longer do ,,,,,,

as for CA ? ,,,,, LOL ,,,,, I do not know of anyone over there who can do this, but ONE of the aftermarket powersports dealers must be able, hell CA is a big state ? ,,,,,,

I wish things were different that is for sure ,,,,,

I just spent this past weekend with the good folks at RENO HD for StreetVibrations, and they are an excellent service department but do NOT expect them to know anything about the subject you and I are discussing ,,,,

Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Thank you for clearing all that up. I was planning a work-around to use a wireless headset with my '15 limited but it looks like I can just go the WHIM route & still keep the good sound.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Unfortunately that is not the case ,,,,,

the AUDIO performance of the WHIM to the Bluetooth headset (even Harleys) is much less than standard corded headsets from either J&M OR Harley ,,,,,

in a month or so, J&M will release our own dongle for the late model AND older Harleys, which will come very close to the audio performance of our corded headsets ,,,,,

after all ,, why go wireless if the system is no longer going to perform as well as it does now with corded ?

Old 10-10-2017, 03:30 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

From another thread...

Hi there,
I updated the Boom from 1.21.2.1 to 1.21.3.1 and my "wireless settings" option disappeared. It's gone.

As a disclaimer, I have a Rockford amp. When we updated the Boom at the dealer for the radio flash to enable the WHIM settings, it wiped out my 1 amp and 2 speaker option. So, my WHIM worked but my audio output sucked. As many on here know, Harley eliminated the ability to flash the radio for aftermarket amplifiers. You have to buy the Harley amp for it to show up on the digital tech. Well, we flashed my radio to 1 amp 2 speakers with the Techno Research system. Everything was great. I'm wondering if this is causing an issue. It shouldn't, but, my wireless settings are gone.

Doesn't sound good.

Might be returning the WHIM module I just ordered

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big s & Sporsters

Old 10-10-2017, 06:01 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Then the Harley dealer must have used their digital technician to modify the speaker/amplifier configuration settings, before or after they added the WHIM integration ,,,,,,

and again ,,,, updates thru the USB port on the dash have nothing to do with adding or taking away the WHIM or the amplifier/speaker FLASH configurations ,,,,,

they are two separate functions ,,,,

Old 10-21-2017, 10:46 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Installed the WHIM setup today & had the dealer do the software upgrade. Didn't seem to mess with the amp/speaker settings any. I also had to upgrade to the latest Boom software.... I was at 1.18.3. So far everything seems to work, although I haven't had a chance to actually use the headset yet.

Quick Reply: Harley Radio FLASH Update