Knuckle Head A place to talk about Knuckle Head motors.

Trying to identify case

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:30 PM
renerod1969
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to identify case

I posted this in the Shovel section but was told maybe this was the section to try and identify my crankcase. I have searched for days trying to find information but cant find anything, I hope someone can help me out.
this bike is licensed as a custom build, I can find NO numbers on the case at all. I appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

its a real blend - seen the MG before cant remember who made it but this is what i see

1 the case is an oddy - the oil pump is 1964 and down - does not have the cover for the alloy primarys with the oil feed

2 the R/S oil line fitting and line - for the top end is usually a welch plug installed after the oil line passage is drilled - this is threaded and feeds the external oil lines going to the heads < feed on the wrong side for a shovel ??? what did they do NO L/S picture showing it
B this tells me the block is a internal oiler knuck or pan - from what i see on the L/S its a 1954 and down design block - no timkin main bearing rollers both sides - Bob pointed out the hi ribs being knucklehead - correct - but pre 1940 and some very few 1941s
C yet is apairs to have a 1965 and UP distributor ( uses one bolt and a U clamp to hold the thing in place and no spud for the handlebar cable yet the block has the small box voltage regulator mount above the generator
C the cam cover 1968 / 69 style - the top center shows that it should have a cam cover with ribs see the lift between the lifter blocks at the cam cover mounting the rib covers protrude in this area NOW this is the spot you need to really pay attention

if you need engine work on this you will need a real old timer as the oiling system with this block should be a side oiler lower unit and block oiling top end
But your cam cover is from yes a side oiler bottom end BUT the block is a top oiler like you have that was re directed to the top oiling top end == been done many times you cant use a 2 cam hose and go shop if you have an issue with it -- trust me on that

The following users liked this post:
renerod1969 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

I wish I understood more then half of what John just told you. Listen to his words and ask questions if it didn't make 100% sense to you as well. Bike looks cool BTW.

renerod1969 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,015 Likes on 6,211 Posts

If I remember, Harley had the VIN stamp on the left case until 1969. It was above the timing hole. In 1970 the VIN was stamp on the neck of the frame. What year is the bike?

renerod1969 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
renerod1969
Novice

Originally Posted by 47000412
If I remember, Harley had the VIN stamp on the left case until 1969. It was above the timing hole. In 1970 the VIN was stamp on the neck of the frame. What year is the bike?
The bike is titled as a 2000 special construction. The frame is a paugcho.

John, I am still trying to digest your post, seems I have quite the Frankenstein, I love working on bikes but am now afraid that if anything goes wrong I won't have the knowledge to fix it.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:10 PM
renerod1969
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
its a real blend - seen the MG before cant remember who made it but this is what i see

1 the case is an oddy - the oil pump is 1964 and down - does not have the cover for the alloy primarys with the oil feed

2 the R/S oil line fitting and line - for the top end is usually a welch plug installed after the oil line passage is drilled - this is threaded and feeds the external oil lines going to the heads < feed on the wrong side for a shovel ??? what did they do NO L/S picture showing it
B this tells me the block is a internal oiler knuck or pan - from what i see on the L/S its a 1954 and down design block - no timkin main bearing rollers both sides - Bob pointed out the hi ribs being knucklehead - correct - but pre 1940 and some very few 1941s
C yet is apairs to have a 1965 and UP distributor ( uses one bolt and a U clamp to hold the thing in place and no spud for the handlebar cable yet the block has the small box voltage regulator mount above the generator
C the cam cover 1968 / 69 style - the top center shows that it should have a cam cover with ribs see the lift between the lifter blocks at the cam cover mounting the rib covers protrude in this area NOW this is the spot you need to really pay attention

if you need engine work on this you will need a real old timer as the oiling system with this block should be a side oiler lower unit and block oiling top end
But your cam cover is from yes a side oiler bottom end BUT the block is a top oiler like you have that was re directed to the top oiling top end == been done many times you cant use a 2 cam hose and go shop if you have an issue with it -- trust me on that
John,
Your knowledge of bikes amazes me, I am going to take some more pics and post them. Thank you for all the help trying to figure this out.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,865 Posts

dont be afraid of it someone had real experience when they put it together it was no one hit wonder

if you ever have an issue post up or send me a PM i will help you - service it adjust the valves new set of plugs once a year - drive it to enjoy it

take out the timing plug rotate the motor see if any S&S numbers show up if so post them i will tell you what they are as in a stroker or even stock replacement wheels if all it has is a dot and a line then its oem wheels

renerod1969 (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 PM
renerod1969
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
dont be afraid of it someone had real experience when they put it together it was no one hit wonder

if you ever have an issue post up or send me a PM i will help you - service it adjust the valves new set of plugs once a year - drive it to enjoy it

take out the timing plug rotate the motor see if any S&S numbers show up if so post them i will tell you what they are as in a stroker or even stock replacement wheels if all it has is a dot and a line then its oem wheels
John,
Took out timing plug and saw no numbers, just dot and a line.
Motor runs strong, no smoke, no major leaks. I appreciate all the help John, this will be a great bar hopper and project for the winter.

I took a better pic of the L/S.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

There was a bike with an MG left case on the forum in May 2015. I’m not sure who made MG cases but I heard there was a company called Motorcycle Goodies in the 70s so that may be a possibility although I am NOT sure about this. Another example I have seen that was alleged to be from Motorcycle Goodies only has G cast in, not MG.

On your MG case, notice the area just forward of the upper front reinforcement rib. (Where a bolt connects the MG case to the R-H case.) As you can see, that area protrudes somewhat as opposed to being set back. You’ll see a similar thing with H-D Panhead left cases as of about mid-52 models so this MG case was apparently designed after the style Harley introduced for mid-52 models.

You said you can find no numbers on the case but does that mean both halves? If the R-H case is H-D it may be early-52 or earlier because it has no provision for an oil screen. There may be a belly number stamped underneath the R-H case near the outer edge and toward the front and it may be formatted similar to the following examples:148-1234; 249-1234; 350-1234; 150-1234; 151-1234. Let us know if you find anything.
Eric

Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM
renerod1969
Novice

Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin
There was a bike with an MG left case on the forum in May 2015. I’m not sure who made MG cases but I heard there was a company called Motorcycle Goodies in the 70s so that may be a possibility although I am NOT sure about this. Another example I have seen that was alleged to be from Motorcycle Goodies only has G cast in, not MG.

On your MG case, notice the area just forward of the upper front reinforcement rib. (Where a bolt connects the MG case to the R-H case.) As you can see, that area protrudes somewhat as opposed to being set back. You’ll see a similar thing with H-D Panhead left cases as of about mid-52 models so this MG case was apparently designed after the style Harley introduced for mid-52 models.

You said you can find no numbers on the case but does that mean both halves? If the R-H case is H-D it may be early-52 or earlier because it has no provision for an oil screen. There may be a belly number stamped underneath the R-H case near the outer edge and toward the front and it may be formatted similar to the following examples:148-1234; 249-1234; 350-1234; 150-1234; 151-1234. Let us know if you find anything.
Eric

Found numbers on the R/S case 151-3999. am I correct assuming this is a 1951 bottom end?

I also checked the heads, numbers on both heads are 6 77.

Quick Reply: Trying to identify case