Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Knuckle Head (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/knuckle-head-63/)
-   -   New Old Stock: Norman Reedus’ Knucklehead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/knuckle-head/1261640-new-old-stock-norman-reedusi-knucklehead.html)

Curated Content Editor 11-21-2018 12:55 PM

New Old Stock: Norman Reedus’ Knucklehead

New Old Stock: Norman Reedus’ Knucklehead
By Bruce Montcombroux

Los Angeles-based Powerplant Motorcycles builds a classic Knucklehead chopper.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...e35d11a7e.jpeg

470004 11-22-2018 09:39 AM

Kuncklehead are always cool looking bikes especially with Harley's springer front ends.

panz4ever 11-22-2018 12:31 PM

No such thing as NOS knuckle. Sorry. A nice looking HD clone though

monckywrench 11-23-2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by panz4ever (Post 17842804)
No such thing as NOS knuckle. Sorry. A nice looking HD clone though

Truth, but those sites are all about marketing to their target demographic. (It's not as if the story line most old timey bike mags used was any better!) Sweet drivetrain though. What makes that an excellent machine for riding is the lack of actual Harley drivetrain parts. New Old Stock or otherwise.

johnjzjz 11-23-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by monckywrench (Post 17844707)
Truth, but those sites are all about marketing to their target demographic. (It's not as if the story line most old timey bike mags used was any better!) Sweet drivetrain though. What makes that an excellent machine for riding is the lack of actual Harley drivetrain parts. New Old Stock or otherwise.

I take exception with this statement as it shows you know nothing about the real machine >> What makes that an excellent machine for riding is the lack of actual Harley drivetrain parts. New Old Stock or otherwise.[/QUOTE]>>>

in my shop we only restore and work on shovel back to the JDs as well as Indians of the period - because anyone with some money can and did buy a motorcycle back in the day the stupids were involved - and yes they breed more of the same

so a tool box of different size hammers and a 12 pack is all you needed to fix a watch - one can only imagine what went on with a machine >> that's right we see it the shop almost every day with barn finds >>>>>>>> this must be what your talking about the junk

but then again anyone who knows anything about that period of machine would not even stop to look at that rag in a parking lot

today thankfully knuckleheads are 50 to 100,000 dollars and the stupids are long gone from the buying only the iron heads and shovels still have

Architect 11-24-2018 07:03 AM

Fake Knuckle, no thanks.
Foot shift?
Electric start?
Disc Brakes?

Somebody does not understand.

hellonewman 11-24-2018 08:27 AM

This bike exists for the very reason John mentioned.....the value of the real bikes. It makes them unattainable to mere mortals or those that don't see the value, I fall into the latter. $100K US for an old bike, no. $40K okay.... Especially since they're bound to correct like everything else as they go through cycles. If you want a knucklehead without the worry then this creation will do it for some. The real ones will become static displays or to be used on occasion which is unfortunate. Because I like to drive or ride the toys I have regardless of value I would even consider a fake engine to go into my real knucklehead (if I had one) to avoid poking a hole in an original case. Another thing I would consider is having a fake one if I had a real one sitting at home. Take the fakie-do out and thrash it worry-free and when someone asks the inevitable question you can say its fake but I have a real one at home. End of conversation and takes away the poser label.

not_so_newb 11-24-2018 08:58 AM

i'd rather own this bike than an FXDR

monckywrench 11-24-2018 09:07 AM

You use original parts because you are restoring and collectors pay more for OEM. Let's not beat around the bush. It's all about the money and this is America.

Nice to know you think everything not a restoration is junk even when people build their machine as a chopper with a more functional drivetrain. Restos are collectors items and more power to the collectors, but that doesn't make the machinery or what it's made of somehow FUNCTIONALLY superior to modern iterations. Choppers are folk art. Restos are for collectors to collect. Repops are for making more horsepower and getting some of the look. Keep on restoring and make that money, but some people prefer more riding with less wrenching. One thing is not like the other.

If HD parts were functionally superior there'd be no performance aftermarket. If their cases were superior Cal Products, STD, Delkron and S&S wouldn't have made tons of money selling much stronger designs. If their rod kits were so great Carillo etc would be out of business, etc, etc. Is an original stock (pick an era of your choice) HD transmission a stronger, better machined piece than Andrews or Baker? The flywheels stronger than Axtell? The valves and springs stronger, better machined and more durable than Kibblewhite? Was the whole HD aftermarket a horrible mistake because the only acceptable thing to do to a motorcycle is restore it?

Just because we may emotionally cherish old motorcycles doesn't make them very good judged as machinery. The reason those old machines are out of production is they were replaced by functionally better motorcycles with superior production methods, metallurgy and performance. Saying I know "nothing about the real machine" without offering any SPECIFIC EXAMPLES AS PROOF isn't saying anything of substance. Since the burden of proof for an assertion in debate rests with the person making that assertion, in what measurable ways (everything about machinery is measurable) are OEM parts superior than quality aftermarket pieces (not Taiwan Ted) proven in race and street use making far more than feeble stock horsepower?

I'm glad you make money restoring. There are more things to do with motorcycles than restore them. Riding comes to mind and Americans like horsepower and durability. That "kit bike" is just a chopper. Be happy someone did NOT use an original engine and waste parts which could have gone into a restoration.

johnjzjz 11-24-2018 05:48 PM

this is an interesting way to put this - you must own a twinkie or what ever they call the 8 valve thing that is advertised as new - 1914 harley and indian both had 8 valve race engines in board track bikes that competed against each other - indians were faster BTW

=left
I'm glad you make money restoring. There are more things to do with motorcycles than restore them. Riding comes to mind and Americans like horsepower and durability. That "kit bike" is just a chopper. Be happy someone did NOT use an original engine and waste parts which could have gone into a restoration

being in ,my 70s and was around building and riding in the 60s before and after Vietnam - all we used was real OEM parts for choppers ( engines - transmissions - wheels - blended fuel tanks and other parts ) the drive way of the shop had 2 - 40 yard dumpsters in it one day - as we needed the real estate in the shop and filled them with all the bags bag guards big fenders buddy seats even short springers and sent them to scrap << I call that using the old parts as well - no kit bikes in our shop we made everything in house just like everyone else from that time period - not like the credit carders of today - it was a life style Not a ooooh I like that let me order it -

what your talking about came along in the 80s and again today the man bun dudes - ( in jersey they are called douche knots ) all they want is the original pieces for the make believe retro bull$hit they assemble today BTW they are not in the real sense of the words --- Building anything they are buying it and bolting it on

don't try and compare what some of us as stewards are doing with collectables and BTW I drive everything I own and I am not going to show and tell for the sake of credibility -- you need to take your take and go to the bagger site they will believe you not this one