Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Knuckle Head (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/knuckle-head-63/)
-   -   Cherry 1939 Knucklehead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/knuckle-head/1265423-cherry-1939-knucklehead.html)

Johnny Mayday 12-27-2018 05:26 PM

Cherry 1939 Knucklehead

Looks like this Knucklehead fetched 50k when it hit eBay recently, which makes sense... But one of the reason I love looking at auctions like this is that I always seem to learn something from reading the description. Like I didn't know that on the 39 gearbox, neutral was between seconds and third. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there a reason that would be advantageous with the hand shifter?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...155618d3f7.jpg

johnjzjz 12-27-2018 07:28 PM

pressure from other manufactures like burroughs superior , Vincent , Indian < and a horde of others were mixing things up in the advanced markets of the leading machines

its in neutral now as it sits not totally sure if you have ridden any of the older machines - but driving some of the older machines that have left throttle right hand shift - then get on a left hand shift right throttle take some getting use to -- but I found driving a left side car verses a right side car was too much for me in the same day stopped in the middle of the street and had no idea what I was doing

its not totally correct for a 1939 as I see it- ok real quick examples - its 12 volt its a ratchet trans so the 2000 dollar real trans and all the fixtures are missing the hand shift is just a prop - the chrome is incorrect and the HL as well as the rear fender is a re pop and maybe the front it does sit funny -- I could go on but don't want to step on the guys bike too hard

Architect 12-28-2018 08:32 AM

Tanks are wrong, tail light is wrong, etc, etc, etc. If really "cherry", it would be $100k, the price was due to everything wrong about it.

Captain Itch 12-28-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 17919524)
Tanks are wrong, tail light is wrong, etc, etc, etc. If really "cherry", it would be $100k, the price was due to everything wrong about it.

Anything that is Pre War and Original .... Big Money ..

470004 12-28-2018 04:35 PM

Knucklehead bikes are cool.

Johnny Mayday 12-28-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnjzjz (Post 17918566)
pressure from other manufactures like burroughs superior , Vincent , Indian < and a horde of others were mixing things up in the advanced markets of the leading machines

its in neutral now as it sits not totally sure if you have ridden any of the older machines - but driving some of the older machines that have left throttle right hand shift - then get on a left hand shift right throttle take some getting use to -- but I found driving a left side car verses a right side car was too much for me in the same day stopped in the middle of the street and had no idea what I was doing

its not totally correct for a 1939 as I see it- ok real quick examples - its 12 volt its a ratchet trans so the 2000 dollar real trans and all the fixtures are missing the hand shift is just a prop - the chrome is incorrect and the HL as well as the rear fender is a re pop and maybe the front it does sit funny -- I could go on but don't want to step on the guys bike too hard

All the bikes I've ridden have had the modern standard controls, but I remember my uncle's Commando had the controls reversed? I think they standardized the British bikes and the American stuff sometime in the mid-1970s? But it's interesting that there was so much variance between manufacturers back in the day. From what I recall, cars got standardized back around the 20s?

johnjzjz 12-28-2018 07:38 PM

the Harley sportster moved the shifter from the right to the left in 1975 - it was on the left because of racing oval tracks as they raced counter clockwise so the shifter in the corners did not up or down shift the machine

in the USA Harley would not do anything the same as an indian reason the front brake lever was on the left on JD and VL machines as indian was first with a front brake and put it on the right - indian throttle was on the left as well because the military and police only were issued right side holsters so you could not shoot and get away at the same time

a reason exist for everything on everything in a motorized vehicle

IzzoQuazzo 12-28-2018 07:43 PM

Tires need air.

hvacgaspiping 12-29-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo (Post 17920939)
Tires need air.

:icon_that:, Front tire looks almost flat. :icon_munching:

Architect 12-30-2018 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping (Post 17921997)
:icon_that:, Front tire looks almost flat. :icon_munching:

Original air, very expensive to replace.