Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I'm with you on everything you said. I don't get the folks that say it's a chain drive and they don't see anything wrong with that. Well, we're Harley riders and we are used to "NO Maintenance" belt drives. Heck, I don't want ANY bike with a chain drive. Who wants to monkey around with lubing and adjusting a chain? Much less having to also replace SPROCKETS too. It's not just the chain that has to be maintained. I've owned chain drive bikes, and I don't EVER want another one.
If that bike doesn't come with a shaft drive, that will automatically limit sales....I think. Why take out a segment of possible owners? Chain riders WILL buy shaft drive bikes. Shaft drive riders will NOT buy chain drive bikes. At least, that's my take on it.
You obviously have no experience with a modern O-Ring chain. Very little maintenance on them. I've done 450 mile days on a chain drive bike, Squirt a little lube on the chain every few gas stops. and even that is debatable if you need to do it. If you really don't want to deal with chain lube get a Scott Oiler. When you put a brand new chain on you have to keep an eye on the adjustment for a couple thousand miles. but it's not that big of a deal, after that tap the chain as you do your pre ride checks, if it's a little loose it takes less than 5 minutes to tighten up. My last chain drive bike, about 2 1/2 years ago I think I had to adjust the chain once a year. I was replacing tires on it more often than that.

I'd much rather swap a chain and sprockets on a Japanese bike than mess with the belt on a Big Twin Harley.

Last edited by VAFish; 02-11-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

I've seen quite riders in the Iron Butt Rally run chains and are doing up to 1,000 miles a day. This includes a 1970's Suzuki GT750. None of them are stopping during the day to lube and adjust their chains, and I don't believe I've seen any do it at the checkpoints either. I know some who are running an oiler, perhaps most are. I've never gotten that close to tell. All of them made it to the finish and then rode home which could be up to another 2,000 miles. So that makes 12,000 - 15,000 miles on the chain and sprockets. For most Harley riders that would be plenty.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

The only chain drive 'Adventure' touring based bike on the market above 1000 cc's with a chain that I am aware of is the Ducati Multistrada 1260S. At $22k it would be square in the sights of the PA 1250 which will likely be in that same price range. Everything else is shaft.

If I were shopping in that price range and did not want a chain I could have:
* BMW R1250GSA
* Triumph Tiger 1200XC

If I wanted to go cheaper and save cash for bash plates, barkbusters, windshields, suspension or tire updates, seats, and foot pegs but still get a shaft I could go with:
* BMW R1250GS
* Super Tenere 1200 (or a Tenere 1200)
* Honda VFR1200X (also available with a DCT)

If I wanted to go with chain drive the level drops down to:
* Africa Twin 1000 and Adventure (both available with DCT)
* BMW 750/850GS and GSA
* Tenere 700
* V-Strom 1000 and 650
* Royal Enfield 400 and the new 650 (less than $6000)

...and a whole host of other breeds.

The previous Tiger 1200 was an Explorer 1200 which started its existence as a chain drive bike...it was not widely accepted until it was a shaft.

If the PA wants to play in this space commanding north of $20k with a chain then it will be competing only with the Multistrada. Based on that bike's performance solely there will be no competition for the 100 or so Ducati sells in the USA every year. Right, wrong, or indifferent, you may have no issue with a chain but the broad market for a $20-25k adventure bike does. A PA 850 with a chain would be a good dirt oriented model but a PA 1250 will need a shaft. Triumph learned that lesson about 7 years ago....

Edit: I will also add that the 'feelings' over at advrider.com are that a long distance dirt oriented ride needs to have a chain. Many then buy them and pack them up and ride the world and that is a great thing...however, these are not BMW R1250GSA Adventures either. Most of the big 'adventure' bikes do not leave the road because having a 500+ lb dirt bike is not really an appealing thing. Also, I have read many account of chain failures on these boondock expeditions. So, don't leave home without a spare chain and sprockets, lube, and tools in the bottom of the side case.

Last edited by dceggert; 02-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dceggert
The only chain drive 'Adventure' touring based bike on the market above 1000 cc's with a chain that I am aware of is the Ducati Multistrada 1260S. At $22k it would be square in the sights of the PA 1250 which will likely be in that same price range. Everything else is shaft.

If I were shopping in that price range and did not want a chain I could have:
* BMW R1250GSA
* Triumph Tiger 1200XC

If I wanted to go cheaper and save cash for bash plates, barkbusters, windshields, suspension or tire updates, seats, and foot pegs but still get a shaft I could go with:
* BMW R1250GS
* Super Tenere 1200 (or a Tenere 1200)
* Honda VFR1200X (also available with a DCT)

If I wanted to go with chain drive the level drops down to:
* Africa Twin 1000 and Adventure (both available with DCT)
* BMW 750/850GS and GSA
* Tenere 700
* V-Strom 1000 and 650
* Royal Enfield 400 and the new 650 (less than $6000)

...and a whole host of other breeds.

The previous Tiger 1200 was an Explorer 1200 which started its existence as a chain drive bike...it was not widely accepted until it was a shaft.

If the PA wants to play in this space commanding north of $20k with a chain then it will be competing only with the Multistrada. Based on that bike's performance solely there will be no competition for the 100 or so Ducati sells in the USA every year. Right, wrong, or indifferent, you may have no issue with a chain but the broad market for a $20-25k adventure bike does. A PA 850 with a chain would be a good dirt oriented model but a PA 1250 will need a shaft. Triumph learned that lesson about 7 years ago....

Edit: I will also add that the 'feelings' over at advrider.com are that a long distance dirt oriented ride needs to have a chain. Many then buy them and pack them up and ride the world and that is a great thing...however, these are not BMW R1250GSA Adventures either. Most of the big 'adventure' bikes do not leave the road because having a 500+ lb dirt bike is not really an appealing thing. Also, I have read many account of chain failures on these boondock expeditions. So, don't leave home without a spare chain and sprockets, lube, and tools in the bottom of the side case.
Valid Point,

But what about another option?

The Moco is known for using belt drive, now I know the limitations of a belt drive on an off road bike being the frailty of the belt around rocks. But, what about some sort of enclosed belt drive for the PA?

At least on the 1250 and then a chain on the 975 (or 850 or whatever the smaller displacement will be)?

That would keep with the Moco's area of expertise and still offer the relatively maintenance free drive line. Especially if they could make some sort of automatic tensioner on the belt.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

If you wanna play around in the dirt you are gonna have to do maintenance on your bike...... It just comes with the territory. If your too lazy to lube up a chain or replace a sprocket every umpteeth thousand miles then stick to cruising and bar hopping. A chain really isn’t that big of a deal

Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 PM
tomboyjr
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

All of the KTM's use a chain, even their big bikes. Which is a big weight savings over a shaft drive. It also makes trailside repairs easier.

KTM's are about the best of the best. While you may see more BMW 1200GS's on the road, you see more KTM's actually being ridden off road.

Modern O-ring chain go thousands of mile between adjusting, or even lubing. Though that depends on how you are using the bike.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
... If your too lazy to lube up a chain or replace a sprocket every umpteeth thousand miles then stick to cruising and bar hopping. ...
Probably should read "stick to cruising and bar hopping or touring or commuting".

Disinterest in chain drive does not necessarily proclude one from any particular type of motorcycling (exceptions being racing or serious off road work).

Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Call it what you want but if your sole reason for not wanting to purchase a bike is because you don’t wanna have to deal with chain maintenance I’m calling that Laziness. No more of a pain in the *** then having to check your tire pressure or any other “Standard Maintenance” requirement.....

Old 02-11-2019, 02:10 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Call it what you want but if your sole reason for not wanting to purchase a bike is because you don’t wanna have to deal with chain maintenance I’m calling that Laziness. No more of a pain in the *** then having to check your tire pressure or any other “Standard Maintenance” requirement.....
Why do all that when you can have the bikes computer take care of it for you, tire pressure monitoring, service reminders, ect.... Pretty soon the bikes will just go out for a ride without you and send you a video.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

You can call it laziness, I will not disagree...more like spoiled maybe. We are not talking about any specific rider though; we are talking about the overall market that this will jump into while trying to appeal to the majority. If the bike next to it has a shaft, a GPS unit, and a power windshield for the same or less money, the market will dictate the outcome irregardless if the person with the money is lazy or not. The whole game in this business is not to build a better mousetrap but to build a mousetrap that people with money are willing to buy from you. $5 Starbucks coffee for a $0.15 cup of coffee is a prime example...

If YOU would enter the market with a bike trying to compete with the Multistrada, the road racing version of the adventure market, without trying to match features and appealing to the laziness of the riders, then it is unlikely they will choose to buy your product. You may sell a few over the years to the hard core rider...maybe. Like I said above, Triumph tried that and quickly did an about face. They kept the more dirt oriented 800 with a chain but for some reason those 1200 bikes had a demographic of "lazy riders."

Quick Reply: Pan America