Pan America

Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD4CJM1X4K
Saw the Pan America Today.

Looks like a custom Build.
Probably because it WAS a custom build. My money is on a dealer build to gauge interest...

The following users liked this post:
1HD4CJM1X4K (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
1HD4CJM1X4K
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill

Probably because it WAS a custom build. My money is on a dealer build to gauge interest...
Correct.. My Bad,,,,

Old 08-28-2018, 07:58 AM
lookforexit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our GM got within 8 feet of the Mock up Pan America at the dealer show last week. There were 3D printed parts on it. It's still completely in concept.

If they can keep it under 550lbs dry it has a chance, otherwise it could get ....Panned HA!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lookforexit
Our GM got within 8 feet of the Mock up Pan America at the dealer show last week. There were 3D printed parts on it. It's still completely in concept.

If they can keep it under 550lbs dry it has a chance, otherwise it could get ....Panned HA!
I agree that the weight of the thing is going to be a concern. The concept drawings make it look like it's going to be very heavy which would help in mild trail riding to tractor on, but high speed trail blasting not so much. It is going to also have to have a decent price point / performance / handling as there are a lot of very capable adventure touring bikes in the space already. Might be a tough sell & a real up hill battle to gain market share.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

The weight is irrelevant IMO...... The BMW GS1200, Ducati Multistrada, Truumph Tiger1200, Honda Africa, and KTM super duke adventure are all Large 500+ lbs “Adventure” bikes. You’ll see videos of them on PREPPED tracks doing off-road stuff but when you watch you tube reviews of riders taking them actually off-road they for the most part all underperform. They all bitch about the weight of those bikes too!

These large adventure bikes are mostly ridden on paved roads, gravel and fire trails @ best. People mostly buy em for the looks and upright ergonomics and ground clearance. Ain’t no way no how H-D is making that bike come in lighter or more capable than KTM or Honda that has been in the off-road market for over half a century!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

I just don't think the Pan America will keep up the Super Tenure or the Africa Twin. There's no way it will compete with BMW and they'll probably be close in price. Harley really needs to start focusing on performance, especially if they are dabbling in the other types of bike..Take the street fighter for instance..if it's not AT LEAST 160HP out of the box, NO ONE will buy it. You can get a Yamaha MT-10 for about 14k, and those bikes are BADASS! If you're into street fighters. Even the MT-09 is pushing about 120 HP. I'm just confident Harley will let everyone down on the performance numbers of these new bikes. I like the idea of branching out, but Harley leaves A LOT to be desired in performance. They have style and culture by the nuts, but that'll only get you so far in today's world..I think everyone at the top and all the engineers need to be fired. It's time to start designing different types of motors if they're gonna branch away from cruisers. Maybe an inline 3 or 4 cylinder water cooled, high rev motor?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray702
I just don't think the Pan America will keep up the Super Tenure or the Africa Twin. There's no way it will compete with BMW and they'll probably be close in price. Harley really needs to start focusing on performance, especially if they are dabbling in the other types of bike..Take the street fighter for instance..if it's not AT LEAST 160HP out of the box, NO ONE will buy it. You can get a Yamaha MT-10 for about 14k, and those bikes are BADASS! If you're into street fighters. Even the MT-09 is pushing about 120 HP. I'm just confident Harley will let everyone down on the performance numbers of these new bikes. I like the idea of branching out, but Harley leaves A LOT to be desired in performance. They have style and culture by the nuts, but that'll only get you so far in today's world..I think everyone at the top and all the engineers need to be fired. It's time to start designing different types of motors if they're gonna branch away from cruisers. Maybe an inline 3 or 4 cylinder water cooled, high rev motor?
I agree on the performance focus needed. I think with the high ambition of trying to jump so many differnet markets at once, it may be a near fatal turn as sales are already dwindling. Development cost a lot $$$$, over expansion has burried many a company. While I do agree that the company needs to branch out, I feel that it might just be a little too ambitious of an under taking.

My favorite of the new concepts is this one.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Gotta disagree with you..... H-D has never been chasing performance. And the millions of riders or bought H-D didn’t buy them for ***** 2 the wall performance. They shouldn’t try to do a 180 and try to go head to head with these other Brands that have been battling in the performance game for decades. They are only gonna blow a bunch of $$$ in R&D and get embarrassed.

A lot of people will buy that Streetfighter regardless of the HP it makes if they can get the price point in between the Street and Sportster models. People will flock to it because of the looks and the H-D logo on the tank. A fun bike to zip around on and feel included in the MOCO family. You try making into something more the price will go up and your gonna be stuck with another version of the FXRD.... A $22,000 slower heavier less capable Ducati X-Diavel

Old 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray702
Maybe an inline 3 or 4 cylinder water cooled, high rev motor?
Enter: The Triumph Tiger. My lowly 800cc has 94 hp....annnd a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Of course, that was back in 2012. But, 45,000 miles later, it still gets with the program. So far, I've bought 7 front tires, and 8 rear tires. Yeah, I ride it too.
Oh yeah, a battery a coupla years ago. Brake pads just changed too. Weighs 470, btw.
GF rides a "roadie" while I'm on the XC.

Attached Thumbnails Pan America-photo842.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Marc Evo (11-22-2019)
Old 08-28-2018, 02:49 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Just say no to plastic

The following 2 users liked this post by ronaldrwl:
Bigtwinbuilder (02-08-2020), Brent Mardian (03-26-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pan America