Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Most of those 1200 CC and above adventure bikes are like most SUV's and jacked up pickup trucks, they never leave the pavement. At most they are taken down a gravel road. My Sportster has seen as much dirt and gravel roads as my buddies GSA1200 has.

But still they make nice touring bikes, with the rugged look and squared panniers they hold a lot of stuff. Long travel suspension is really nice if you hit a pothole or frost heave Sitting up high gives you a nice view of the road. They have tons of power and handle pretty decently.

The following users liked this post:
KMC1 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
Most of those 1200 CC and above adventure bikes are like most SUV's and jacked up pickup trucks, they never leave the pavement. At most they are taken down a gravel road. My Sportster has seen as much dirt and gravel roads as my buddies GSA1200 has.

But still they make nice touring bikes, with the rugged look and squared panniers they hold a lot of stuff. Long travel suspension is really nice if you hit a pothole or frost heave Sitting up high gives you a nice view of the road. They have tons of power and handle pretty decently.
This.

And, on top of that, they can handle the gravel roads or fire roads or even dirt trails better than a typical touring bike. They open up options. And they don't have to weigh 950 pounds like a Harley Ultra either.

That doesn't mean they're all lightweights; the BMW GS1200 weighs 600 pounds, not far off what my Fat Bob does, and my Fat Bob is a pig at 675 pounds for a street cruiser.

Heck, after watching this video again, maybe all I need to do is get some 80/20 tires for my Fat Bob and I'm done...

And that was with the stock tires... hmmm...

Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish

But what about another option?

The Moco is known for using belt drive, now I know the limitations of a belt drive on an off road bike being the frailty of the belt around rocks. But, what about some sort of enclosed belt drive for the PA?
Sounds like a good option to me Fish. Buell Ulysses was promoted as a (mild) adventure motorcycle and it used belt. I recall they touted the particular belt was more durable to cuts and holes from rocks than the standard HD belts. If HD could use that type of belt along with enclosure or at least better shielding....... AND design it to be relatively easy to change, they'd have a low maintenance, quiet, and unique FD.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 861 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
Call it what you want but if your sole reason for not wanting to purchase a bike is because you don’t wanna have to deal with chain maintenance I’m calling that Laziness. No more of a pain in the *** then having to check your tire pressure or any other “Standard Maintenance” requirement.....
Call it what you want but I call it enjoyable...commuting 500 to 600 miles a week by simply throwing a leg over the saddle and riding off...and doing that all month long.

I didn't have any issues keeping up with my V-Strom chain maintenance with the same commute. But once I moved to a shaft drive rig, I realized how nice it was to not worry about it. I didn't get lazy. I just learned its ok to enjoy a little luxury with my motorcycle.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Call it what you want but I call it enjoyable...commuting 500 to 600 miles a week by simply throwing a leg over the saddle and riding off...and doing that all month long.

I didn't have any issues keeping up with my V-Strom chain maintenance with the same commute. But once I moved to a shaft drive rig, I realized how nice it was to not worry about it. I didn't get lazy. I just learned its ok to enjoy a little luxury with my motorcycle.
You say toe-May-toe and I’ll say Tah-mah-toe.......

Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Call it what you want but if your sole reason for not wanting to purchase a bike is because you don’t wanna have to deal with chain maintenance I’m calling that Laziness. No more of a pain in the *** then having to check your tire pressure or any other “Standard Maintenance” requirement.....
You call it lazy...I call it convenience. Do you still haul your water for your house up from the creek? I guess you do because anything less than that would be considered "lazy". What's with these "wimps" that want city water hook-ups anyway? LOL!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOV5
You call it lazy...I call it convenience. Do you still haul your water for your house up from the creek? I guess you do because anything less than that would be considered "lazy". What's with these "wimps" that want city water hook-ups anyway? LOL!
WoW.....

Lazy and SENSITIVE

They say the truth hurts so I guess my words struck a nerve?? Like I said to each his own but don’t try justifying something when you can just be honest and call it like it is. If your sole reason for not buying the bike is because you don’t wanna get your hands dirty or a little bit of grease under your fingernails adjusting a chain then maybe just maybe an OFF-ROAD bike isn’t for you...... Just saying

Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

WoW.....

Lazy and SENSITIVE

They say the truth hurts so I guess my words struck a nerve?? Like I said to each his own but don’t try justifying something when you can just be honest and call it like it is. If your sole reason for not buying the bike is because you don’t wanna get your hands dirty or a little bit of grease under your fingernails adjusting a chain then maybe just maybe an OFF-ROAD bike isn’t for you...... Just saying
Wow...so clueless.

How do you explain me getting my hands dirty doing all the other maintenance on my bike (including changing final drive oil every other oil change)? Not to mention getting my hands dirty at work.

Not sure what your hang up is that you can justify calling someone you don't know lazy based on their motorcycle preferences. I assume all of your motocycles are chain drive?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Wow...so clueless.

How do you explain me getting my hands dirty doing all the other maintenance on my bike (including changing final drive oil every other oil change)? Not to mention getting my hands dirty at work.

Not sure what your hang up is that you can justify calling someone you don't know lazy based on their motorcycle preferences. I assume all of your motocycles are chain drive?
WoW.... so starved for attention??

Nobody was talking to you so how bout you mind you and yours and let’s get back on topic.

I dont have a hang up I have an opinion.... and if you get butthurt over MY opinion that’s YOUR problem not mine

Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

WoW.... so starved for attention??

Nobody was talking to you so how bout you mind you and yours and let’s get back on topic.

I dont have a hang up I have an opinion.... and if you get butthurt over MY opinion that’s YOUR problem not mine
Just stating my opinion is all.

Quick Reply: Pan America