Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Pan America

Old 02-19-2019, 10:27 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

came across this from a website in India saying the pan America is coming out in March 2020 for 1,600,000 rupees which comes out to about $22,500 US

The following 2 users liked this post by rhino1250:
cacomly (02-19-2019), dceggert (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I don't think many folks do ride big adventure rigs off road (some do, for sure...but a vast minority). Most like the shaft drive for on-road road touring.

Not sure about Triumphs shaft drive endurance, but Yamaha's is pretty nuke-proof. A lot of people rack up a lot of miles on them between the FJR1300 and the Super Tenere (same final drive on both models).
I know a lot of people in the long distance riding community who ride these bikes and have never heard of a final drive failure in Yamahas or Triumphs, although there are not that many riding Triumphs. I've heard of a few Goldwings and a fair number of BMWs, however BMWs are one of the most popular brands ridden in that community. There are probably as many final drive jokes for BMWs as there are oil leak jokes for Harleys.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250

came across this from a website in India saying the pan America is coming out in March 2020 for 1,600,000 rupees which comes out to about $22,500 US
IIRC India has pretty high import tariffs, unless they are building them in India as well, which is a possibility since I think the Streets are manufactured there.

I just have to say if HD is going to price the PA around $20,000 in the US and have them available within a year, I will be in line shortly to put a deposit on one.

Edited to add: I found another article, written a month after the one above that says the price will be starting at Rs.18 lakhs which I think is closer to $25,000 US. Which is about the price I expected it to sell for.

Anyone know if these Indian web sites are more accurate than the National Enquirer?

https://motoroctane.com/news/100398-...on-pan-america

Last edited by VAFish; 02-19-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

I hope it's pretty close

Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

That article's not new, that was published 7 months ago. They're operating off the same info we all have had all this time. I don't think they know anything more about pricing than the rest of us do.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

$25k would be the far north end of where they need to be to compete. R1250 GS can be had for less and are well established. Triumph Explorer's several $k less. Yamaha Super Tenere $10k less. We'll see next year..

Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
$25k would be the far north end of where they need to be to compete. R1250 GS can be had for less and are well established. Triumph Explorer's several $k less. Yamaha Super Tenere $10k less. We'll see next year..
I will add to this assessment as well from experience shopping back in 2018....

The GS is listed at about 17,800 on their website but....I have only seen one while shopping (300 miles away) that did not have the Premium package at 3,000 more. Without it you do not have the heated grips, prep package for the GPS, cruise control, etc. That rockets the GS up to $21k without any luggage or the actual GPS unit. By the time you add that you are $23,500...Ultra Classic territory.

The Triumph is similar. The 1200 Tiger starts about 18k base and if you want the XRt or the XCa you are looking at $22 without luggage and GPS as well.

The GSA now is another matter. Sitting on the floor of the dealership with bags and GPS you are looking at around the cost of an Ultra Limited (black one).

In 2018 I was real close to pulling the trigger on a new 1200 Tiger XCa but last year's model. This is where BMW and Triumph are a bit different than HD...the last year model is discounted. BMW offers cash off and free accessories. Triumph does similar. Harley does not.

With the end of the year push that year I ended up with a Limited for LESS than the GSA I was looking at and about what the Tiger would be even though it was last years model. This does not have anything to do with the PA of course except to demonstrate a price point perception. At 25k without luggage this bike will be expensive. 22k would be better but even at that point with luggage it will be Ultra Classic level with less features. Equip them similarly and it is going to cost more!

Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

I agree. At $25K, this will be Harley's version of the Edsel.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I agree. At $25K, this will be Harley's version of the Edsel.
Yup, agreed.

Here's the part that I don't think is getting through...yes, as has been clearly said, the $18k-ish price for the BMW and other ADV bikes is the "stripper" price, and after you add the Premium Package, GPS, etc., you're looking at a solid $25k.

But, we all know how Harleys come from the factory, don't we. Whatever the MSRP for the PanAmerica ends up being, that will be the "stripper" price, and then we'll have to see how much more we'd need to spend to make it our own.

If the BMW is $25k "loaded", and the PanAmerica is $25k with nothing, it's going to end up as another...LiveWire.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 02-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blap (08-23-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

BMWs have totally shitty build quality too - which is a huge problem for the brand. Every time I would take my old GSA out for a trip, I would actually plan my route to keep me in as close proximity to a dealer as possible - and that isn't even that close! In some places I was more than 8 hours from the nearest dealer and every. single. noise. would make me get nervous and worry if I was about to get stuck on the road and have to ruin my vacation plans - again. The reason BMW is successful is they build a fantastic package - great riding position, decent real world performance, wind protection, modern conveniences like cruise and ABS, and of course - they are seen as a premium brand, which attracts the affluent American buyers who always feel like they must have the "best". Just look at the FJR or the C14 - both of which offer better performance, reliability and dealer networks (not necessarily customer service though, that is for sure) but they can't hold a candle to the brand awareness of BMW. Look at the resale value of BMWs - bike or cars - they go to **** in 2 to 3 years you're actually lucky if they are even at half original price - everyone knows they aren't reliable and the minute the warranty runs out you better get out the Vaseline. It's not a secret.

All HD needs to do with the PA is make it roughly in the same league as the GS - but with HD build quality - and they will have a runaway success and will eat a huge chunk of the GS marketshare. I really can't wait for this thing to come out - and I'm really excited to see if HD will introduce something like a R1200RT competitor. Another PA style bike around 800cc and with those 3 models they have 2 bikes that will for sure end up in my garage - which will displace the KTM and the BMW currently in there.

And I can't wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pan America