LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire LiveWire Price

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Telling of what? When Harley owns something like 90% of the big touring bike market, what else could people be trading from?

Where is the other poll, the one where Gold Wing owners traded to Harley? And to be relevant, that poll should be conducted in a year where everything changed, like 2014 when the Gold Wing was unchanged but Harley revamped the Rushmore bikes...

Anyone can derive any trend they want by choosing small-sample polls. But the fact is that while sales for everyone are declining, Harley maintains an approximately 50% market share among >600 cc bikes. And since they don't have sport bikes at all, and the other manufacturers rely heavily on sport bike sales, what that really means is Harley's share of the heavyweight touring market is dramatically higher than 50%. That hasn't changed.

Here's another reference point for you: I was in a major Honda dealer yesterday, and every Gold Wing they had was marked down $3,000 to $4,000 off MSRP. I looked on Cycle Trader at the K1600B, found a brand new one in Austin for $14,000 and change. Sales of everything are down. But when you only sell something like 300 K1600 touring bikes a year in America like BMW, it's not all that hard to show a big % increase year over year when you introduce two new models. If they only sold 200 K1600B and Grand America models in all of 2018 (and managed to continue selling the existing 300 K1600GT and GTLs) then yeah, BMW could claim a 60% increase in their share of big touring bike sales. But it would still be nothing more than a popped pimple on the *** of Harley's sales.

When there is actually an identifiable market share shift, we will all know it, it will be front page news on every motorcycle site.

(Not knocking the gold Wing or K1600 either; if I was buying a big touring bike today it would be one of those, especially with the discounts available today!)

don't know where you get your facts from but, they are way off.

BMW is selling thousands not hundreds. There company goal for 2020 is to hit 200,000 motorcycles sold world wide. America is one of their fastest growing markets.

as i said, not knocking Harley, they are very cool bikes. Just saying the world is changing. Heck, there are some 1 percent riders that have purchased the BMW K1600B Bagger.

Enough said

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (01-13-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Read the sales reports. In 2016, BMW's US sales FELL 13%. For 2017 they don't even list USA sales separately. Clearly because they fell again. BMW was very happy to point out huge gains in France (+24%), Italy (+17%), Spain (+17.6%), the UK (+8.7%), Germany (+7.1%), and double digits growth in China and Japan. But curiously, they left the US performance out of their latest report.

The R series accounts for over 53% of their units sold, the S bikes do another 25% or so. There are very few K bikes sold. According to BMW's own numbers, all four K bikes combined accounted for 4% of their overall units sold worldwide.

In prior years BMW has sold about 10% in the USA, and 90% outside the USA. In 2017 they sold a grand total of 6700-ish K1600s worldwide. That would imply somewhere around 670 in the USA. Or about how many Harley touring bikes are sold each weekend.

For the 2018 model year BMW shipped around 11,000 of it's low-cost G310 bikes. The introduction of the little 310cc models accounts for about half all their unit sales increases, and the # of 310s is also about the same # of bikes as all their product lines combined sold in the USA.

Which all points to BMW having a tiny, miniscule market share in Harley's market segment. They're just not a serious competitor in the big touring bike market. Their sales are boxer twin adventure bikes, sport bikes, and little G310 models.

That's what BMW themselves report.

They haven't reported calendar year 2018 results yet, that will probably happen in the next couple of weeks so we might get a more current picture then.

​​​​​​

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-14-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree 100%, 30K for a bike that has a 110 mile range, just a toy for the rich and famous which leaves me out.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Read the sales reports. In 2016, BMW's US sales FELL 13%. For 2017 they don't even list USA sales separately. Clearly because they fell again. BMW was very happy to point out huge gains in France (+24%), Italy (+17%), Spain (+17.6%), the UK (+8.7%), Germany (+7.1%), and double digits growth in China and Japan. But curiously, they left the US performance out of their latest report.

The R series accounts for over 53% of their units sold, the S bikes do another 25% or so. There are very few K bikes sold. According to BMW's own numbers, all four K bikes combined accounted for 4% of their overall units sold worldwide.

In prior years BMW has sold about 10% in the USA, and 90% outside the USA. In 2017 they sold a grand total of 6700-ish K1600s worldwide. That would imply somewhere around 670 in the USA. Or about how many Harley touring bikes are sold each weekend.

For the 2018 model year BMW shipped around 11,000 of it's low-cost G310 bikes. The introduction of the little 310cc models accounts for about half all their unit sales increases, and the # of 310s is also about the same # of bikes as all their product lines combined sold in the USA.

Which all points to BMW having a tiny, miniscule market share in Harley's market segment. They're just not a serious competitor in the big touring bike market. Their sales are boxer twin adventure bikes, sport bikes, and little G310 models.

That's what BMW themselves report.

They haven't reported calendar year 2018 results yet, that will probably happen in the next couple of weeks so we might get a more current picture then.

​​​​​​
From their financial reports:

BMW Motorcycle sales: 164,000 worldwide in 2017, up 13.2% over 2016 (record increase), 7th year in a row of BMW motorcycle sales INCREASES

HD Motorcycle sales: 240,000 worldwide in 2017, down 7.5% over 2016, 4th year in a row of HD sales DECREASES. Barron's just released a report that HD sales "have fallen off a cliff" for 2018 with a decline of 13.5% over 2017.

As a motorcycle company, I'd much rather be in BMW's shoes than Harley's.

I'm afraid to say but if HD flops with Livewire (as I expect) and does not improve quality and innovation of their mainstream bikes, they will soon join the ranks of dead or dying American Icons that simply did not innovate to meet the needs of their customers like GE, Kodak, JCPenney, Sears, Xerox, Blockbuster, PanAm, RadioShack, Polaroid and ToyRUs. All of which were American Icon companies that were viewed as "impossible to die" just a few years before the last shovel of dirt was thrown on their grave.

Last edited by Heatwave; 01-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

What about middle America ? Here I'd just make it to the closest dealer , Never mind there dinner and back home , Will they offer a trailer pkg to carry extra on demand power ? A nd how much will the weight of a passenger decrease the range?
Yes I like the idea , But I'll have to pass

Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by heatwave
from their financial reports:

bmw motorcycle sales: 164,000 worldwide in 2017, up 13.2% over 2016 (record increase), 7th year in a row of bmw motorcycle sales increases

hd motorcycle sales: 240,000 worldwide in 2017, down 7.5% over 2016, 4th year in a row of hd sales decreases. Barron's just released a report that hd sales "have fallen off a cliff" for 2018 with a decline of 13.5% over 2017.
Not true!! Lies, it's all lies!!! Harley rules the world! They sell more motorcycles than every other brand on the planet combined! Their sales are exploding, and all other brands' sales are tanking!!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

FWIW, I don’t know who their target is but the dealership here in Fort Myers is saying they’re going to be a Livewire dealer. It’s on their website now.
I want to ride one, but I’m not trading my bike in for one.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
No surprises here concerning prices, called this **** a year ago. This wiil be a bigger bust than the streets have been.
Yep. The day the news of the bikes that were supposed to attract millennials came out, me and my buddy said that Harley won't be able to escape from their greed and price the bike as if it wasn't a Harley like they have to do to actually attract millennials.

The bike is for millennials. The price tag is for the standard Harley rider.

It's not a bike for the standard Harley rider nor is it priced to attract millennials so who the hell is going to buy it?

Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by m1369x
What about middle America ? Here I'd just make it to the closest dealer , Never mind there dinner and back home , Will they offer a trailer pkg to carry extra on demand power ? A nd how much will the weight of a passenger decrease the range?
Yes I like the idea , But I'll have to pass
Middle America is not the target market.

Interesting concept with the trailer, but I think a generator in the trailer would be better.

Weight of a passenger most certainly will reduce range, but the biggest range reducer is speed (air resistance) and hard acceleration.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,566 Posts

One thing I think most do not understand is that Electric vehicles are backwards, from it's typical gas counterpart. Highway mileage gets better on a gas vehicle but Decreases on a Electric vehicle. So when you read as much as 110 miles combine Urban cycle, that will translate to Less miles on the highway. My guess would be that the Livewire doesn't go 70 miles on the highway.

Quick Reply: LiveWire LiveWire Price