LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire LiveWire Price

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm glad to see some intelligent discussion here! Most of the talk about the LiveWire, both on the internet and by "writers" is hung up on comparisons to current standards and expectations for internal combustion motorcycles... and their riders. Most of those people would complain about the lack of tires and higher cost than a Hyundai while looking over a UFO!

My personal take on it has little (if anything) to do with being competitive with bikes currently or soon to be available. Moreover, it is the first major brand e-bike. It says, "we take this seriously." I don't think anyone at corporate has any fantasy about salvaging sales numbers with this entry. ...this year or next. In your travels though, keep an eye out for these signs. They're popping up in more and more places every week. Most public (State, city, etc.) parking facilities include at least one. I think you'll soon find them (required by Milwaukee) at all H-D dealers, just like car dealerships for brands with an e-vehicle. Even WalMart is installing them!

Whether or not it is the best choice, it IS where the auto industry is going. I've never read a review by someone who has actually rode one, saying much of anything bad about the LiveWire. As someone else said, it's an acceleration monster! It seems to have good handling as well. That would be expected from a 100+ year-old MOTORCYCLE company. Some start-up that began with a motor and built their first bike around it, well, who knows? $30,000 is a lot of money, but as the first in the next generation of the motorcycle saga, they'll sell em. As long as they sell enough to break even, shoot not even that many, it's better than pouring money into R&D for a future product that's not paying any dividends yet! ...and make no mistake, R&D for a future product will be necessary.

This is nothing the vast majority view it as. This is the next 1903 H-D.

Last edited by username already exists; 02-09-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
In Belgium the price for the LiveWire is $38.495 .... a bit over the top I think.

You Think ?????????.

Shieeeettttt

Wiz 🙄

Old 02-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
No surprises here concerning prices, called this **** a year ago. This wiil be a bigger bust than the streets have been.
Or the V-Rod

Old 02-09-2019, 05:16 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

I've said it a thousand times, NOBODY bad mouths H-D as much as the H-D faithful. I guess it's like a family, we have the highest expectations for those closest to us and the greatest disappointment when they don't do what WE think they should. ...but we still love em.

What I don't get is that while Harley riders beat up on every non-slim, fat, bob, boy, glide the MoCo tries to make, we do it while bemoaning their failure to attract new business.

Can you name one other company who holds the most recognizable trademark in THE WORLD and has been in continuing business for closing in on 120 years, who is as dumb about running a company as we keep insinuating Harley-Davidson is?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by username already exists
Can you name one other company who holds the most recognizable trademark in THE WORLD and has been in continuing business for closing in on 120 years, who is as dumb about running a company as we keep insinuating Harley-Davidson is?
Now you've done it...

Old 02-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,424 Likes on 1,572 Posts

All this talk about monster torque is sort of a laugh. Maybe people, not in the industry don't understand electric motors. ALL electric motors make MAX torque at zero RPM unlike there gas counter parts. So in an electric vehicle you need to turn the torque down at low RPM to make them derivable and this is done with the electronics, HD has had nothing to do with that, it's just the way it works. They (HD) have two partners to develop this bike and both have gone bust before it has ever got to the market! So how good or bad this does is going to be based on how it measures up to the rest of the world of E-bikes.

Also for the record Victory had a E-bike division as well, before Polaris shut down Victory. I'm sure they are sitting back and looking at the market of E-bikes and most likely are stay up on where it is at today. so the statement that's been made here "Moreover, it is the first major brand e-bike." is dead wrong.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Also for the record Victory had a E-bike division as well, before Polaris shut down Victory. I'm sure they are sitting back and looking at the market of E-bikes and most likely are stay up on where it is at today. so the statement that's been made here "Moreover, it is the first major brand e-bike." is dead wrong.
Polaris bought Brammo/ Empulse in 2015, and promptly closed it down. This IS the first e-bike developed and launched by a major motorcycle manufacturer. Crediting Polaris with building Empulse is like those (and there are plenty of them) who think because Polaris BOUGHT the rights to the trademarks, today's Indian motorcycle company is somehow connected to Hendee Manufacturing.

I'm quite sure this has not been a total in-house project. We live in a global market where the "just on time" supply chain is king. ALL manufacturers use parts developed and made by other specialty companies. Is there a point other than simply bashing?

Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,424 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by username already exists
Polaris bought Brammo/ Empulse in 2015, and promptly closed it down. This IS the first e-bike developed and launched by a major motorcycle manufacturer. Crediting Polaris with building Empulse is like those (and there are plenty of them) who think because Polaris BOUGHT the rights to the trademarks, today's Indian motorcycle company is somehow connected to Hendee Manufacturing.

I'm quite sure this has not been a total in-house project. We live in a global market where the "just on time" supply chain is king. ALL manufacturers use parts developed and made by other specialty companies. Is there a point other than simply bashing?
If you think HD developed this bike so be it, but your sadly mistaken. They went to E-bike manufactures to get it done and drove two of them down the tubes. Polaris bought Brammo, they own it outright and it was a division of Victory which they shut down. The difference is what?

So my point is simple, you have not got your facts correct.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

This is all very interesting.
The ebikes have been running at the Isle of Mann for a few years now. I am sure the lessons learned at the track trickle down to the everyday ebikes. I think getting more miles per charge is coming very soon, but will it be enough?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
it's up and official.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e.../livewire.html

Found this interesting...

"Vehicle usage data (anonymized where required) will be collected to improve overall vehicle quality and the rider’s experience. Riders will be able to opt out of the service. Detailed data collection and privacy information will be available at the time of service launch."

Everyone is in the tracking business now.
And with all this data being collected you can be sure as **** if there’s a warranty claim, Spaceship HD will be looking at this just to make sure you haven’t been abusing their product.

Phark that
Wiz 🤬

Quick Reply: LiveWire LiveWire Price