LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
I had already softened up the better half to expect a new electric bike in the garage. After seeing the stats and price, no more softening will be needed, gonna pass.

If it was 20 grand and went 170 miles on a charge....I'd pick one up tomorrow.

Out here in Cali, the electric motorcycles already released get just a 900 rebate from the state. Not sure about the Fed.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligible-vehicles
That's just it, fuggedabout the $30K MSRP, the bike is all 5 year old technology, and there's no excuse not to have AT LEAST a 150 mile range. I agree with the 'bot, for $20K and 170 miles, I'd be leaving a deposit, just to say I have a Livewire. PASS, for now.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

when I demo'd it the range was 90 miles and here we are YEARS LATER and the range is only 110 miles
and the MSRP is $30K.. the MOCO must be joking..

Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM
LuckyNLife
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really wanted one. I currently commute to my office on a 2011 Ninja 650r. I wanted to be able replace it with a LiveWire so my 2017 Heritage would have a Harley stable mate. When I am not riding my Ninja to work, I drive a Chevy Bolt. I have a level 2 charger in my garage and there is a bunch in my office's garage where I can charge for free, so I am setup for an electric motorcycle. At least that is what I thought. Turns out, the LiveWire doesn't support level 2 charging at level 2 rates. Instead it will charge at the level 1 rate.�� The MoCo decided to support level 3 DC fast charging instead. Well, the closest Level 3 charger is 5 miles from my house and there are none near my office. Level 3 charging might be readily be available in the future, but today they are not. To add insult to injury, the price is $30K. I'll pass and instead I am planning on test riding a Zero SR this weekend.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM
LexM
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I just (as in just) bought a leftover 2018 Softail Street Bob. However, I want my next bike to be a LiveWire (which I imagine, like Softail, will come to refer to a range of bikes rather than a specific model). My prediction is that I will have to hold on to the Street Bob for about six years before improvements in range, charging time, and charging infrastructure can make that next-bike wish a reality.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I am not in the demographic. 50, make a good living, can afford it but don’t want it.

So who will buy these? No idea.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Even at 1/3 of the price, its not for me. I would rather have a Sportster (for that price point) if I used a bike for commuting ... at least then I could run it on weekends for fun.... Concerns would be depreciation, and will you actually be able to sell these when you get tired of the short range. Now that I am living back in "The City", I am thinking seriously of getting an electric peddle bike..... but the one I want is only 2 large all in.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyNLife
I really wanted one. I currently commute to my office on a 2011 Ninja 650r. I wanted to be able replace it with a LiveWire so my 2017 Heritage would have a Harley stable mate. When I am not riding my Ninja to work, I drive a Chevy Bolt. I have a level 2 charger in my garage and there is a bunch in my office's garage where I can charge for free, so I am setup for an electric motorcycle. At least that is what I thought. Turns out, the LiveWire doesn't support level 2 charging at level 2 rates. Instead it will charge at the level 1 rate.�� The MoCo decided to support level 3 DC fast charging instead. Well, the closest Level 3 charger is 5 miles from my house and there are none near my office. Level 3 charging might be readily be available in the future, but today they are not. To add insult to injury, the price is $30K. I'll pass and instead I am planning on test riding a Zero SR this weekend.
Yeah that level II decision is weird. There are lots more Level II charging stations. However with my commute Level I charging rates would probably work fine. But since I too have free Level II charging stations at work it would be nice if the Livewire supported it.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyNLife
... I am planning on test riding a Zero SR this weekend.
Be sure to let us know what you think! And, before (or if) you jump, be aware that Zero is announcing a new model late next month.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 PM
NightsterDav
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the specs are fine, the looks are great. I was all ready to buy, until they announced the price. I hope the MoCo reads these threads. It should be low 20s at the most.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:46 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by NightsterDav
I think the specs are fine, the looks are great. I was all ready to buy, until they announced the price. I hope the MoCo reads these threads. It should be low 20s at the most.
Yep I agree totally.
Funny thing. I ran into my buddy who manages the local dealership and he told me that they were all surprised at the store when the price came out. He said he and a few others were expecting $40K-$45K

Quick Reply: LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?