LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Well the dog and pony show is on for the LiveWire. HD has selected various reporters to come ride the LiveWire in an event up in Portland, OR. Rumor has it that is going on for 2 weeks and started last week sometime so the press is pumping out articles many of them saying the exact same thing so it maybe from a script that MoCo is supplying them...... who knows.

https://jalopnik.com/the-electric-ha...y-f-1836321059

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...23-fast-facts/

https://electrek.co/2019/07/14/revie...ric-motorycle/

Old 07-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Biter
I can forgive the lack of performance of my HD Dyna with air cooled motor, which pays back in other evocative ways.

But this is a new sector and there is no excuse for such terrible performance figures! I expect an electric bike to have an absolute ton of torque. This thing has less than my Dyna. You pay a premium price you expect a premium product.
You'll of course need the Stage 1 Screamin" Eagle battery. $4995.00.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tired:
04ctd (07-30-2019), Biter (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

JP cycles did a comparison of specs with the new Zero SR/F.

If the Harley was $10,000 cheaper it would be pretty competitive to the top of the line Zero

https://www.jpcycles.com/counterstee...OdN6u6a0Zb_a2o

Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Mengy
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
JP cycles did a comparison of specs with the new Zero SR/F.

If the Harley was $10,000 cheaper it would be pretty competitive to the top of the line Zero

https://www.jpcycles.com/counterstee...OdN6u6a0Zb_a2o
That's very unfortunate for HD. I love the idea of the Livewire, but man it's just way too expensive. Even if it was $10K less it would STILL be an inferior value to the Zero, but at least price wise it would be comparable and people would buy it simply because its from Harley. At $30K though the Livewire just isn't going to sell very well, which is a damn shame.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 PM
jerbear4196
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donk_316

I really wanted one. Honestly just for running around town or the gym or whatever instead of firing up the FXSE just for 10 min across town.

The range is ok, over night charging is ok, but the price? Yeah I can’t justify $30k USD / $40k CAN just for a runaround town vehicle with no trunk.

I can buy another truck for that price.

Electricity or fuel. It still costs something somewhere
For another $30,000 you can buy a 2020 Mid Engine Corvette. Just saying.

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the idea, but I can't see it working. First, EPA highway range is listed at 70 miles. Think about that. If there is no high speed charger on your riding route, then in perfect conditions you can drive 35 miles from your house before you have to turn around to get home. In cold weather the range will be less, as it will in very hot weather. Then, if you do find a high speed charger, it will take 50 minutes to get about 60 miles of range. How does that work if you're a traditional Harley rider and drive hundreds of miles in a day?

Then there is the issue of Level 2 charging. From the information that's available now, the LiveWire may not work with Level 2 chargers. Those charges are the typical ones you see for electric cars, using a J1772 connector plug. If the Level 2 chargers don't work, you're stuck trying to find a rare high speed charger. In my typical bike runs, I can't find chargers along the route - so, do I give up the rides I want to take so I can charge easily, or just stick with the 117CI bike?

If the bike won't accept Level 2 charging (which is the best option right now), relies on high speed chargers that are rare, and forces people to change their routes to get charged, I don't see how this will work. Maybe if you're riding at a slow pace in a rural area the range limitation won't be too bad, but part of the fun of riding is being spontaneous and enjoying the ride. How do you do that on a bike with limited range and charging options?

And let's not forget the price - I could get lots of other Harley models for $30K and never worry about fuel. I applaud the attempt, but I don't think anyone gave serious consideration to the charging limitations they designed into the bike.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Everyone keeps talking about the range on electric vehicles, including cars. They are not long distance, cross-country vehicles, at least not yet. For long distance riding, the range is actually a little less important than the dual issue of finding charging stations, and, the killer, how long to charge. Unless you have Super Charger capability, which can give you something like a 90% charge in 30 minutes, while you get a cup of coffee, cross-country just ain't in the cards yet. I just watched a video of a guy who did a 4,000 mile drive in his Tesla, norcal to Texas and back. It's doable, but it definitely takes some planning.

What does that mean for a LiveWire? It doesn't have capability for the most common fast charging stations, only for the hard to find stations, which means it's strictly an around-town, have-some-fun on short rides bike.

For $30,000.

Of course, the dealership has charging stations, so you can buy some t-shirts while drinking your coffee.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 07-25-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:08 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
I love the idea, but I can't see it working. First, EPA highway range is listed at 70 miles. Think about that. If there is no high speed charger on your riding route, then in perfect conditions you can drive 35 miles from your house before you have to turn around to get home. In cold weather the range will be less, as it will in very hot weather. Then, if you do find a high speed charger, it will take 50 minutes to get about 60 miles of range. How does that work if you're a traditional Harley rider and drive hundreds of miles in a day?

Then there is the issue of Level 2 charging. From the information that's available now, the LiveWire may not work with Level 2 chargers. Those charges are the typical ones you see for electric cars, using a J1772 connector plug. If the Level 2 chargers don't work, you're stuck trying to find a rare high speed charger. In my typical bike runs, I can't find chargers along the route - so, do I give up the rides I want to take so I can charge easily, or just stick with the 117CI bike?

If the bike won't accept Level 2 charging (which is the best option right now), relies on high speed chargers that are rare, and forces people to change their routes to get charged, I don't see how this will work. Maybe if you're riding at a slow pace in a rural area the range limitation won't be too bad, but part of the fun of riding is being spontaneous and enjoying the ride. How do you do that on a bike with limited range and charging options?

And let's not forget the price - I could get lots of other Harley models for $30K and never worry about fuel. I applaud the attempt, but I don't think anyone gave serious consideration to the charging limitations they designed into the bike.
From everything I have read the Livewire "works" on a level II charger, but only at the level I rate. Which sucks because there is a free level II charger in the parking garage at my office.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:07 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jerbear4196
For another $30,000 you can buy a 2020 Mid Engine Corvette. Just saying.
For another $18k you buy a CVO Electraglide.... Nobody seems to be whining about the price of that bike.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
For another $18k you buy a CVO Electraglide.... Nobody seems to be whining about the price of that bike.
Actually, a lot of people are in disbelief that anybody would pay that price for a bike. Yes, I personally know a guy that buys a new CVO every other year, but that's hardly the norm. You can buy a brand new Mercedes or Lexus for less than a CVO. That's so stunning it's difficult to even believe.

Quick Reply: LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?