LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?

I really wanted one. Honestly just for running around town or the gym or whatever instead of firing up the FXSE just for 10 min across town.

The range is ok, over night charging is ok, but the price? Yeah I can’t justify $30k USD / $40k CAN just for a runaround town vehicle with no trunk.

I can buy another truck for that price.

Electricity or fuel. It still costs something somewhere

Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 AM
JohnTz
Cruiser
Received 129 Likes on 44 Posts

I will get one since I’m a new tech junky. I just hope the first version is reliable and has no scary battery issues like some of the other earlier electric bikes from the other manufacturers.

I even vent like the way it looks. Looking forward to get the weight specs etc on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by JohnTz:
BigGusHD (06-21-2019), cacomly (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Does the tax credit apply? A $2500 to $7500 check from the feds will certainly take some of the sting off. Then unscrew the if you live in a state with rebates like California or Massachusetts, they have their own rebates.

Then if you factor in that you aren't going to have to spend $6,000 in engine upgrades to Stage IV just to get decent performance out of it...

Meh. Maybe the true cost of ownership won't be all that much higher than a regular Harley, but it's not a regular Harley, so... Well, it's not available for another 9 months or so, so I guess I'll wait for the owner reviews before bothering thinking about it any further.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Does the tax credit apply? A $2500 to $7500 check from the feds will certainly take some of the sting off. Then unscrew the if you live in a state with rebates like California or Massachusetts, they have their own rebates.

Then if you factor in that you aren't going to have to spend $6,000 in engine upgrades to Stage IV just to get decent performance out of it...

Meh. Maybe the true cost of ownership won't be all that much higher than a regular Harley, but it's not a regular Harley, so... Well, it's not available for another 9 months or so, so I guess I'll wait for the owner reviews before bothering thinking about it any further.
I thought it didn't, but have not personally researched that fact.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I'm intrigued by electric cars and motorcycles. Have been looking at them for several years (almost converted a 1988 Chevy Sprint to an electric car many years ago but just as I started to pull stuff together I took a job overseas).

My problem is for $29,000 I can buy a Nissan Leaf with similar range that I can drive in any weather or a Zero DSR for $18,000 and they will use the Level II charging station at my office. (livewire will plug into the Level II station but charges at Level I speeds.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018

I'm pretty sure the tax credit for electric motorcycles ended in 2016. There are state incentives if you live in CA, MA, or MD.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

According to Autoblog, the fed rebate is 10% of base price or $2500, whichever is less.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/07/...e-price-range/

A commenter said the rebate expired in 2017.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:32 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

There are no electric motorcycles on the federal list for tax credits.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Which
is strange because all the requirements I read for the law say electric vehicle and don't seem to exclude motorcycles. Also the motorcycles have large enough battery pack to qualify.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by cacomly
I thought it didn't, but have not personally researched that fact.
and you can't check now either. The government shutdown, the bastards also shutdown their websites. Like it needs someone in an office to run.

I wanted one so badly. But for that price no way. A single seat short range for the price of a full size pickup? nope. I was first on the list at my dealer here and have removed my name.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cprhed
and you can't check now either. The government shutdown, the bastards also shutdown their websites. Like it needs someone in an office to run.

I wanted one so badly. But for that price no way. A single seat short range for the price of a full size pickup? nope. I was first on the list at my dealer here and have removed my name.
Where are you finding a full sized pickup for $29,000?

Although for the same price as the Livewire you could buy any of several electric cars with the same or greater range, those cars would qualify for the $7,500 tax rebate and have lots of nice creature comforts like heat, A/C, power windows, stereo, ect.....

Quick Reply: LiveWire who’s buying one? Or, was going to buy one?