LiveWire Harley-Davidson's emerging models: HD's first electric motorcycle the LiveWire.

LiveWire Livewire

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Livewire

And it'll cost a blistering US$29,799. After attempting to buy one you're better off grabbing a real livewire and save yourself incredible monetary grief This is s a joke isn't it?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:31 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by artsbest
And it'll cost a blistering US$29,799. After attempting to buy one you're better off grabbing a real livewire and save yourself incredible monetary grief This is s a joke isn't it?
And a Tesla costs $90,000... And Tesla owners seem to love their Teslas...

Instead of writing it off unseen, I plan on paying attention to early owner reports. It's possible they have something here, or it's possible that they've totally missed the mark. No way to know at this point.

The following users liked this post:
artsbest (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
And a Tesla costs $90,000... And Tesla owners seem to love their Teslas...

Instead of writing it off unseen, I plan on paying attention to early owner reports. It's possible they have something here, or it's possible that they've totally missed the mark. No way to know at this point.
Sorry but comparing this underpowered overpriced thingamajig to a Tesla is BLASPHEMY......

Those Tesla’s are technological marvels !!! They can do everything but brush your teeth for you!!!! They have all the bells and whistles any of the other luxury cars offer and then some. Not to mention their fuel range is equal if not better than most models. Their base model sedan is faster than most sports cars foreign and domestic

What does this bike offer? 110 mile fuel range? You could buy not 1 but 2 brand new Softails or a new Bagger and sportster for the price of this thing!?!?

Sorry but I can’t sip the Kool-Aid on this 1.... $30k+!?!? GTFO

Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15

Sorry but comparing this underpowered overpriced thingamajig to a Tesla is BLASPHEMY......

Those Tesla’s are technological marvels !!! They can do everything but brush your teeth for you!!!! They have all the bells and whistles any of the other luxury cars offer and then some. Not to mention their fuel range is equal if not better than most models. Their base model sedan is faster than most sports cars foreign and domestic

What does this bike offer? 110 mile fuel range? You could buy not 1 but 2 brand new Softails or a new Bagger and sportster for the price of this thing!?!?

Sorry but I can’t sip the Kool-Aid on this 1.... $30k+!?!? GTFO

...and you felt the need to come in here and start a brand new thread just to share your pessimistic outlook on something you apparently do not even care about. Do you have a clue as to WHY it is so expensive? Why is every electric/hybrid car so expensive?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

If people buy it, it's not overpriced. If it's overpriced, people won't buy it. The market will speak.

I've never understood why people get so angry when they are not the target market for a particular product. The LiveWire is clearly not aimed at millennials or young riders, it's clearly aimed at the guy who already has a CVO in his garage. If someone spends $45,000 on a CVO, will they really be that taken aback by the LiveWire's price?

There will be other electric bikes for millennials and new riders. That's not the LiveWire's mission. LiveWire is an elite product offered only at elite dealerships, at an elite price point. The sales figures will reveal whether this is a successful plan or not.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:45 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe, perhaps. But at that price your potential market is very, very limited in scope is it not? And no federal tax credit to boot.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

If people buy it, it's not overpriced. If it's overpriced, people won't buy it. The market will speak.

I've never understood why people get so angry when they are not the target market for a particular product. The LiveWire is clearly not aimed at millennials or young riders, it's clearly aimed at the guy who already has a CVO in his garage. If someone spends $45,000 on a CVO, will they really be that taken aback by the LiveWire's price?

There will be other electric bikes for millennials and new riders. That's not the LiveWire's mission. LiveWire is an elite product offered only at elite dealerships, at an elite price point. The sales figures will reveal whether this is a successful plan or not.
Your points are well taken. I own 4 bikes, and I'm in the market for a 5th, which will be an electric. I can easily afford an elite product at an elite price point, and without getting into specifics, IMHO the Livewire doesn't offer anywhere near the value that some manufacturers' products offer. It really is an inferior product at a premium price. Just look at the new Zero or Energica, to name two-'way more bike for 'way less $$.

I'm hoping that the MoCo does well with the Livewire, but I suspect the select dealerships will put the bike on display to get people in the door, and then they'll be told the supply is very limited, and how about one of our ICE models here on the showroom floor instead? Time will tell.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 01-09-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-09-2019, 02:10 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by artsbest
Maybe, perhaps. But at that price your potential market is very, very limited in scope is it not?
Sure it is. Just like the CVOs. But a tight economy, premium brands seem to still do fine. Bugatti, Porsche, McLaren etc are all still in demand. Tesla just grabbed the title of best selling premium vehicle in America.

It all depends on what the buyers think of the LiveWire. If they love it, then it will be a hit, even if comparatively very few of us ever buy one. Again, like the CVO. Sure you could buy a Street Glide, a Sportster, and a Street 750 combined, all for about the same money as a CVO, but... That's not what a CVO buyer wants, is it?

I expect the LiveWire buyer to value it for the riding experience, the elite status, and the uniqueness of it. I don't think any LiveWire buyers are going to be concerned about the cost of a gallon of gas or their carbon emissions.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Your points are well taken. I own 4 bikes, and I'm in the market for a 5th, which will be an electric. I can easily afford an elite product at an elite price point, and without getting into specifics, IMHO the Livewire doesn't offer anywhere near the value that some manufacturers' products offer. It really is an inferior product at a premium price. Just look at the new Zero or Energica, to name two-'way more bike for 'way less $$.
I see and acknowledge your points, of course. My question is: do we know enough about the product to make that determination yet? All I know about it, really, is that it has a 110 mile range and a $30k price tag. But Harley has been working on this for five years since the initial test rides, so... Perhaps it offers a lot that we don't know about yet? I am reserving judgement on it until I can see and experience what it actually offers. Who knows, $30k might actually seem like a bargain once we get the full experience... Or it might seem like a huge ripoff. No way to know yet.

I look at the LiveWire like the original Tesla Roadster. Expensive, exotic, they didn't sell all that many, but it was the first and it led to the Model S, Model X, and now Model 3. I don't expect the LiveWire to be a mass market product.

It's hard to see Zero or Energica as a direct competitors though since neither has a millionth of the resources, size, dealer network or heritage that Harley has. Of course, that might all work against them too; the LiveWire might go down in history as Harley's equivalent of GM's Impact/EV1. Time will tell.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I have a CVO in my garage and I think $30k is way to much for what would be a second bike for me. I would be interested in having one if the price was $20k or less. Just because someone spent $45k on a bike doesn't mean they spend stupid money on just anything. After seeing the price on this it looks like my wife will get the convertible that she wants.

Quick Reply: LiveWire Livewire