Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:11 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,523 Likes on 4,424 Posts

Originally Posted by James Keach
The filter is 5 micron, and more restrictive than older filters.
as far as I know it's the exact same part number used on the TC's I've had over many many years..not sure how or where you came up with that

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
as far as I know it's the exact same part number used on the TC's I've had over many many years..not sure how or where you came up with that
Correct same filter. I use HD filters on all my Harleys for many years.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Yup, same filter that's been used since what, 1998?

Swing and a miss on that theory

Old 12-02-2017, 05:53 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I been using the same filter that came with bike since 2014
no problem. Might change it out if I can find me a deal

Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What you are saying is not true.. Metal particles wont expand to block a passage.

What is more than likely true is that the oil cooled motors simply do not have any pressure at idle... There isn't any way to maintain pressure in the current oil cooled head system.. At idle all the oil flows through the head passages and pressure drops.. As far as I can tell the head flow is simply an orifice. As oil heats up, viscosity drops and more oil flows through the cooling lines to the heads. Pressure drops to 0.. They need a pressure / valve ball like on the oil jets..

Making an orifice smaller for the head cooling passage might help.
Was reading the SM.. The oil cooled motors have a check valve in the fitting that feeds the oil cooler. If this is stuck open the motor will likely have low oil pressure on startup (head passages drained) and at temps (low viscosity) with lower engine speeds.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Blocking the oil cooler does not block oil flow to the motor.
Not to mention if the oil cooler was blocked or had it's flow limited in some way, the oil pressure at idle would most likely be higher, not lower.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:34 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I've brought this up before with no response to it, probably due to my lack of mechanical understanding and description of it. And maybe also due to my inability to express my self in a way that would grant me the attention my question deserves. But a reply from someone who's savvy in the way combustion engines work would help me in understanding how HD tunes their motors per say, as well as adding some feed back on my theory as to why THIS motor's oil pump is unable to continue its delivery of oil above its body during the idle cycle.
What I do know is that most oil pumps are mechanically driven. They rely on forces the motor generates. And once the motor is shut down, then the pump will come to rest along with it as well.
Now, my understanding on how HD manipulates the firing order to achieve spark at TDC is by keeping both piston very close at TDC. Part of that potato potato sound recipe we like so well, no? This describes why HD motors revs so slow.
So, could it be that during idle, with revs dropping to a low max cause the pump to stop performing?
We know that under power, it works fine, so why not increase the timing just enough to allow the pump to work during idle?
Or add an electric circuit for god's sake.

Last edited by splattttttt; 12-03-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I've brought this up before with no response to it, probably due to my lack of mechanical understanding and description of it. And maybe also due to my inability to express my self in a way that would grant me the attention my question deserves. But a reply from someone who's savvy in the way combustion engines work would help me in understanding how HD tunes their motors per say, as well as adding some feed back on my theory as to why THIS motor's oil pump is unable to continue its delivery of oil above its body during the idle cycle.
What I do know is that most oil pumps are mechanically driven. They rely on forces the motor generates. And once the motor is shut down, then the pump will come to rest along with it as well.
Now, my understanding on how HD manipulates the firing order to achieve spark at TDC is by keeping both piston very close at TDC. Part of that potato potato sound recipe we like so well, no? This describes why HD motors revs so slow.
So, could it be that during idle, with revs dropping to a low max cause the pump to stop performing?
We know that under power, it works fine, so why not increase the timing just enough to allow the pump to work during idle?
Or add an electric circuit for god's sake.
The oil pump is mechanical and runs off the crank - it actually rides on the crank's pinion shaft - so as long as the engine is turning it's pumping. Has nothing to do with combustion timing.

Last edited by lp; 12-03-2017 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Professor123 (04-24-2019)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Not to mention if the oil cooler was blocked or had it's flow limited in some way, the oil pressure at idle would most likely be higher, not lower.
Good point.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

The oil line that was recalled has came loose for a second time on my bike. Last time a brand new, slightly larger clamp was put on but guess its no good either according to the whole underside of my bike. Was on a day ride and all was great til I got an oil smell, started checking out the engine and found oil all the way up passed the cam cover, dropped down and bam......the complete underside all the way back to the rear tire was either coated or dripping oil. Not cool!!!!!! Just wanted to share and tell you guys to keep an eye on that line, especially the guys who got the ol 30 second recall inspection and "looks good" answer. Had I not stopped I was on my way to busting my *** on a back road from an oil coated rear tire.

Quick Reply: M8 problems