Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:06 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
People keep saying the forum is not representative of real-world issues. I beg to differ. Harley KNOWS of this issue. That in of itself should convince anyone that it's not just 20 or so on this forum that has issues. I read enough to stay away from the new models.

Nothing is worse than being on a $20-$30K bike that one has to worry even a little about or constantly checking for oil issues like leaks all the time. Life is too short.

This IS an issue confirmed by the MOCO itself that I believe is more real-world common than people without issues on this thread want to think. The MOCO is not changing oil pump part numbers because 20 guys an a Harley Forum had an issue.

At his point I would ask if Harley made a 737, would you fly in it with the possible (not probable) issues just relayed on this forum? A mechanical failure on a bike can be just as fatal.
Okay you’re staying away... and? I’m not sure what your point is saying that to a forum full of people with M8 bikes, nor why any would care to hear you opin about it?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:36 PM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Confirm Again changes made to the 2018 models?

Did they correct issues with 2018 models?

Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by 12doplumbing
Did they correct issues with 2018 models?
No, you can read the latest version of SB1450 attached below.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (04-22-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 03:46 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
No, you can read the latest version of SB1450 attached below.
Did they really need to spell out what "rpm" stood for in the bulletin? lol Just noticed that.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Did they really need to spell out what "rpm" stood for in the bulletin? lol Just noticed that.
Didn't you know that all Harley techs are dumb as rocks and need everything spelled out for them? J/K Just thought I'd go ahead and say it to save you know who from having to point it out to us.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:18 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Geez....from Heatwaves bulletin above.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xnysgt

Okay you’re staying away... and? I’m not sure what your point is saying that to a forum full of people with M8 bikes, nor why any would care to hear you opin about it?
My "point" is (SEE ABOVE) No reason to get all butt hurt with blinders on and limit those who do not suck at the Harley teat their opinions and fact-based research.

You don't care to read negative opinions I get it. Some of us can pass on the M8 after reading this thread. The OP was bashed for putting it up. .I see it is now over 100 pages. So much for that. I won't give Harley a pass on this. People dropping $20K+++ on a bike should not have to deal with the possibility this type of issue.

I was actually looking at the M8. Even test rode one. VERY nice, but before I jump I read the forums whether it's a Corvette or the wife's CRV. (I passed on the Vette too)

Every opinion is fair game in a Forum. Especially when a new design has issues (SEE ABOVE)

You can deny the issue and buy one. Go for it! I am betting those with perfect M8s are looking closely at their engines for any sign of leaks and issues. That is no way to own a bike.

I suspect even those "lucky" ones without issues today. I read enough to pass. I think others have as well. Harley admitted there is a sumping issue. That's enough for me. If more people did research, Harley would have a huge issue selling these bikes. Those of us here get to know and read about the issue(s) before Harley got involved and now the 18's are the same......Amazing

Yes, Harley will fix the issues. But who wants to chance an oil issue in the middle of the desert between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon???
Good Luck with yours.......... if you have one.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 04-20-2018 at 06:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TenMidgets:
jockotwin (04-20-2018), northshore_paul (04-20-2018), scooper321 (10-31-2019)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:38 PM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
My "point" is (SEE ABOVE) No reason to get all butt hurt with blinders on and limit those who do not suck at the Harley teat their opinions and fact-based research.

You don't care to read negative opinions I get it. Some of us can pass on the M8 after reading this thread. The OP was bashed for putting it up. .I see it is now over 100 pages. So much for that. I won't give Harley a pass on this. People dropping $20K+++ on a bike should not have to deal with the possibility this type of issue.

I was actually looking at the M8. Even test rode one. VERY nice, but before I jump I read the forums whether it's a Corvette or the wife's CRV. (I passed on the Vette too)

Every opinion is fair game in a Forum. Especially when a new design has issues (SEE ABOVE)

You can deny the issue and buy one. Go for it! I am betting those with perfect M8s are looking closely at their engines for any sign of leaks and issues. That is no way to own a bike.

I suspect even those "lucky" ones without issues today. I read enough to pass. I think others have as well. Harley admitted there is a sumping issue. That's enough for me. If more people did research, Harley would have a huge issue selling these bikes. Those of us here get to know and read about the issue(s) before Harley got involved and now the 18's are the same......Amazing

Yes, Harley will fix the issues. But who wants to chance an oil issue in the middle of the desert between Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon???
Good Luck with yours.......... if you have one.
You summed it up perfectly. This is a forum for discussion and exchange of ideas and information. What better information for those contemplating spending upwards of $20,000 on a bike that has design issues that the MOCO apparently has not addressed for almost two years. When buying I want to be as informed as I can be and will make a decision based on the feedback from the end user, those that comment on the forum and tell us what problems they are having with their bikes. In addition, the headaches they are having in rectifying the problems as they arise and are brought to the attention of the dealer. I see two major issues that led me to my decision to stay with my TC 88 bagger and not "upgrade". The primary issue is the design problem and the second issue is having it taken care of by Harley through their dealer network. I like my old bike, a 2000 EG and I see no need to taken on new problems, especially at the price tag that is attached.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn — I’m a little pissed I didn’t read these forums first. Bought my Sport Glide In February. Dealer didn’t say a thing when I said “this isn’t the first year of the Milwaukee Eight, is t? Because I never want to play that game again after I bought the first year Ford 6.0”. He said “No-no, they’ve had the M8 for a couple years now”.

Attached Thumbnails M8  problems-5af7b60f-30f8-4f6f-a153-fd5329711614.jpeg  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:32 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

what is the actual mechanical solution to this problem?

I did read the service bulletin, but looking for a simple synopsis from someone experienced. Thanks.

Originally Posted by F150HD
Geez....from Heatwaves bulletin above.

Quick Reply: M8 problems