Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve On 3
Went to pick my bike up. Took my other key fob with my house keys and all on it. Had left a key an fob with the bike when it went in for repair. Bike with start with fob I left but not with the one that was at home during the repair.

Go next door to Quaker Steak and LUbe to eat. Dealership closes, we eat and I start home. 11.4 miles later the check engine light comes on with the temp light. I pull over and shut it off and let it sit. call the sales guy's cell. No answer. Text him, no response. Cranked it without the temp light this time and drove it back to the dealer. Found a guy who was still there and gave him my keys. Told him I didn't care if he took it in or let it sit but he had the keys and the dealer was now responsible for it. He didn't like that and said he couldn't move it. I said fine, it is insured.

Bottom line, I have ridden it a total of 70 miles, they have ridden it over 70. It has gone down twice. I have had it at my house less than 24 hours, they have had it a week.

I am going to offer three options this morning
1. New engine
2.New Trike
3. My trade in back and deal nullified with money returned to me.

Your thoughts?

I think your offer's are fair, not sure they will agree (but what do I know).

I am waiting 2 (maybe 3) years before I get an M8.

I am sure they will work out the problems (eventually) almost every new product has issues. Especially totally redesigned products.
I don't care how good your design is there is always problems either during manufacturing or after.
My job is reviewing and fixing (if required) design/manufacturing issues, I have been doing it for over 20 of my 28 years in this business (aerospace).
They will continue doing it long after I retire.
With todays way of running businesses you have to expect more of it (IMHO).

Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Went to pick my bike up. Took my other key fob with my house keys and all on it. Had left a key an fob with the bike when it went in for repair. Bike with start with fob I left but not with the one that was at home during the repair.

Go next door to Quaker Steak and LUbe to eat. Dealership closes, we eat and I start home. 11.4 miles later the check engine light comes on with the temp light. I pull over and shut it off and let it sit. call the sales guy's cell. No answer. Text him, no response. Cranked it without the temp light this time and drove it back to the dealer. Found a guy who was still there and gave him my keys. Told him I didn't care if he took it in or let it sit but he had the keys and the dealer was now responsible for it. He didn't like that and said he couldn't move it. I said fine, it is insured.

Bottom line, I have ridden it a total of 70 miles, they have ridden it over 70. It has gone down twice. I have had it at my house less than 24 hours, they have had it a week.

I am going to offer three options this morning
1. New engine
2.New Trike
3. My trade in back and deal nullified with money returned to me.

Your thoughts?
i wouldn't want it any longer. this is NOT what you bought. tell them you want a new bike and start fresh.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i wouldn't want it any longer. this is NOT what you bought. tell them you want a new bike and start fresh.
I agree and would take the same stance, but I've never seen it go that way. Once that bike is registered and titled, its yours and nothing short of a legal battle to change that would have to happen. They would have to sell it used at that point (which is a very reasonable request) after they repaired it properly.

Unfortunately there is no law (except Lemon law) that would protect you and even that is a legal battle in itself.
There should be some law that covers you to take it back if it has major failures in the first 30 days, but i'm sure we'll never see that!

Smitty

Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Whatever you do, and as hard as it will be, keep your tongue in check. In the background, without indicating such to the dealer, I would be very quietly seeking advice from an attorney in your state that is well versed in litigation as regards your state's lemon law. That way you are well prepared and knowledgeable about your legal options. To proceed otherwise would be foolish imho.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:42 PM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry man, I really feel for you

Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Update ad nauseum

They have determined that there are no collars at the pushrods which allows oil to go where it wants to. The pushrods are chewing up the O-rings so now I have rubber bits flowing through the oil? They want to see if they have the parts to fix it. I told them HD should step up and replace the motor or the dealer should swap it out or nix the sale and give me my trike and $ back.

The service manager is going to talk to HD and see what they will do. Told him I have zero confidence in this trike. It needs to have a new motor or be replaced.

Told him if they forgot the collars, what else was forgotten?

I had just about rather have my 14 and my money back

Old 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

At the very least a new motor and an extended warranty!!

You guys are scaring me. Going to ride the **** out of mine this weekend.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:08 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by wingfoot
At the very least a new motor and an extended warranty!!

You guys are scaring me. Going to ride the **** out of mine this weekend.
Rick, Hang in there and just have fun with your new ride. Steve's situation may be an outlier? It seems like his dealership has had a difficult time diagnosing and fixing the original problem. He has justifiably lost confidence at the moment. However, like all man-made machinery, there are occasional examples that come off the production line that just aren't right.

I experienced some production-related parts failures on my 2016 103 Tri Glide that Harley had had a tremendous amount of data on yet I had a bad radiator, some hose fittings and a poorly constructed outer lower fairing that had to be replaced at 1k miles. I had to ride the trike for a while before stopping thoughts of another shoe dropping and now have had 13.5k trouble-free miles with the exception of a defective/leaking rear shock at 5k. I am so confident with the trike at this point that I would ride it anywhere and did a 6k ride in June and plan to do another long one shortly before the weather gets too cold around the country. I did however buy a 3-year Harley ESP to backstop future issues with limited financial exposure.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Screw the ESP. I'm going to ride the hell out of the '16 and trade it just before the two years is up. Considering I'm over 16 k in the first 6 mos of ownership, it ought to be near if not past 60 k in two.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

They have determined that there are no collars at the pushrods which allows oil to go where it wants to.

Any idea what 'collars' they are talking about? I don't see any new part numbers for the pushrod tubes with the exception of the lower pushrod covers.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....uring&id=61774

Quick Reply: M8 problems