Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM
EdwardToscano
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Trouble Free M8

Another trouble free day with my beautiful M8. I’m going to say 99% of the crap posted online here is either (a) posted by a blogger working for polaris (b) a blogger working for Indian (c) an M8 owner that has no clue how to service a bike and puts to much oil in their bike or (d) little crybabies that hate everything Harley because they can’t afford one (e) little cry babies that bought a 2016 and wish they waited a year for the glorious magnificent M8.
Im here to tell you I have a 2017 M8 drive it every single day to work commuting over 6K miles, with a stage 3 the bike is killer. My coworker bought the same bike the same day I did has absolutely no issues, the mechanics at Suffolk Harley have never seen any issues. Don’t believe me, watch this link below.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

and we're off!!!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Love my 2017 CVO Limited and put 15K miles on it since last June. Here is a list of things that have been fixed:
new oil pump, new lifters, new tappets, new throttle actuator, brake MC rebuild, GPS goes blank but they won’t change it out, oil leak from top end fixed.......

That’s a lot of crap go wrong in the first year/15K miles. Will I be trading it off soon...........heck no! There are bikes out there having real issues....

Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
Another trouble free day with my beautiful M8. I’m going to say 99% of the crap posted online here is either (a) posted by a blogger working for polaris (b) a blogger working for Indian (c) an M8 owner that has no clue how to service a bike and puts to much oil in their bike or (d) little crybabies that hate everything Harley because they can’t afford one (e) little cry babies that bought a 2016 and wish they waited a year for the glorious magnificent M8.
Im here to tell you I have a 2017 M8 drive it every single day to work commuting over 6K miles, with a stage 3 the bike is killer. My coworker bought the same bike the same day I did has absolutely no issues, the mechanics at Suffolk Harley have never seen any issues. Don’t believe me, watch this link below.
https://youtu.be/Rm57U2SUYaE

You're being far too strong a fanboy! I'm with you as a supporter of HD. I've test ridden the BMW K1600B and the new Goldwing and would still prefer a CVO Touring bike. But you simply have not had enough miles to put your pride ahead of reality. I was right where you are today. Strong supporter of the M8 to everyone that would listen.... and to a large extent I still am. But when reality gives you a smackdown your views become more tempered. At 5500 miles, after lots of terrific riding as an experienced rider, my 2017 CVO Limited with Stage IV, out of the blue, ...SUMPED. And shortly afterwards it was near complete failure. Just like that. Very little warning. BOOM, busted new bike.

HD tried to make it right. They gave me a free 7yr ESP and shipped a new motor. The dealer upgraded it back to Stage IV and within 500 miles, that 2nd new engine ...SUMPED. They shipped a 3rd new engine. I rode that new engine in stock form for about another 1500 miles before upgrading to Stage IV once again, on HD's nickel of course. That 3rd engine ...SUMPED. HD said they would build a stage IV 117 at the factory for the dealership to install. They informed me it was a 2019 engine case and there would be no more issues. That 4th engine has run great for 2000 miles.

In addition to the new engines, the bike needed a replacement speedometer due to moisture streaks inside. Plus new front rotors due to warping in the first 1000miles. Plus repairs to power locks that stopped working. Plus several oil pump replacements trying to resolve the sumping before replacing the engines. All replaced under warranty. I'm sure many have read my engine "saga" before but for the new guys that haven't heard it, you need to temper your remarks when guys have serious issues. Its not a "needle in a haystack" situation. There are enough reports of serious issues such as sumping and fluid transfer to suggest it can happen to anyone until you've ridden...let's say 10's of thousands of miles. Until then, just be thankful your bike hasn't shown any symptoms....YET!

So before you get too far ahead of yourself stomping on other guy's "d*cks", just be careful that in the next couple of thousand miles you don't stomp on your own d*ick.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Heatwave:
jockotwin (08-17-2018), mjwebb (08-16-2018), STRADALE (08-16-2018), TenMidgets (09-19-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
A Harley is a toy nothing more
That's what I used to think about Harley. I need transportation first, since I was 14 years old using my Sears Cruisaire to deliver newspapers in Austin, TX. I have always used my motorcycles as transportation first, toy second. No way I could justify spending $30k on a motorcycle that wasn't basic transportation first.

The two Harleys I've owned in the past three years have been perfect transportation FIRST. I guess I'm lucky, in that I am able to ride my TOY to the places I need and want to go. If my Harley wasn't reliable transportation, it would be so gone so fast....

Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
That's what I used to think about Harley. I need transportation first, since I was 14 years old using my Sears Cruisaire to deliver newspapers in Austin, TX. I have always used my motorcycles as transportation first, toy second. No way I could justify spending $30k on a motorcycle that wasn't basic transportation first.

The two Harleys I've owned in the past three years have been perfect transportation FIRST. I guess I'm lucky, in that I am able to ride my TOY to the places I need and want to go. If my Harley wasn't reliable transportation, it would be so gone so fast....
You need ice and snow to change that thought..lol

Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

You need ice and snow to change that thought..lol
Or triple digit heat!

Yeah, the weather sometimes makes motorcycle riding more difficult. But there are always workarounds. That's why my bikes always get lots of miles put on them before the warranty expires. Gotta be hard-headed about it.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

The thing we all need as riders is real time people with real problems. And we have post after post on problem's. The thing we don't need is bashing from people who don't even own a bike or ride.
Go hang out on the I used to have a bike 20yrs ago forum and come back when you get one.
When I read a problem, I want it from a guy that's had the problem,everything else is just slinging **** against a wall. Any Harley I ever had a some form of factory issue. You want to see pissed look at the water pump failures on the wet head bikes. Yet people are still buying and that's been four years of failure. A Harley is a toy nothing more, if you think they will ever be flawless your living in a dream world.
I don't know what they want from me
It's like the mo money we come across
The mo problems we seeeee~~~

LoL! Nah but sorry I digress. It’s a public forum so as long as the person adds to the discussion & isn’t here just to troll & bash the brand, think it’s fine.

My first new Harley/w/ a warranty was a 1988 1200 Sporty, since then have always had a Harley & for the last 25 years owned at least 2 at the same time, currently own 3 so I’m familiar w/ Harley issues & never expect them to be flawless but guess it’s a matter of perspective. Believe what you’re saying is sumping is like any other issue you may encounter. From my perspective it’s unlike any other issue I’ve ever heard of because it can affect brand new motors, after 2 years & 7 oil pump revisions it’s still happening, still no one knows why it happens & when it does happen it’s usually catastrophic. It’s one thing if I have to bring in my bike because of a water pump failing at x miles & need a new pump or say the hydraulic clutch recall where the bike may move if started in gear, that’s a little different IMO than needing a new motor on a brand new motorcycle & even after an engine replacement it’s possible it can/ and has happened again w/ still no fix or even an understanding of why it happens.

But see what I was talking about earlier; there’s actually people who post here that these issues are fabricated, completely made up, think that’s even worse than a guy who doesn’t currently own a Harley but interested in buying one posting here. What was the Harley TSB for sumping, for transferring for then? But there’s people that believe Apollo 11 was shot on a movie stage & 911 was explosives planted by the US Govt, so, whaddya gonna do..

Old 08-16-2018, 01:37 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
Love my 2017 CVO Limited and put 15K miles on it since last June. Here is a list of things that have been fixed:
new oil pump, new lifters, new tappets, new throttle actuator, brake MC rebuild, GPS goes blank but they won’t change it out, oil leak from top end fixed.......

That’s a lot of crap go wrong in the first year/15K miles. Will I be trading it off soon...........heck no! There are bikes out there having real issues....
That sucks. There are a few manufacturers that I’d buy/have bought first year models from, both cars & bikes but Harley isn’t one of them.

Last edited by STRADALE; 08-16-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardToscano
Yes it does change the fact, the vast majority of M8 owners have trouble free bikes. I would venture to say almost everything you may have heard about M8 ISSUES is completely made up nonsense and M8 owners that do not know how to change oil and put to much oil in their bikes. Go to a local Harley dealer and speak with one of the mechanics they will tell you it’s all bulshiI”*
I did - our local HD dealer had 28 bikes returned for sumping out of 1000 sold (but that 1000 is not only M8s), more (he didn't specify a number) for fluid transfer. (Not a mech, the head sales guy)

Quick Reply: M8 problems