Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Toolmaster
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...l-made-it.html
Well, I was pissed and had a talk with the owner, store manager and service manager.
To ensure my bike is repaired properly, they decided to replace the stator and rotor just in case they were bad, though they tested good. They also are replacing the voltage regulator again, and thoroughly inspected the wiring harness.
They contacted with Harley Davidson Motor Company corporate engineers and had a lengthy discussion about the issue my bike is having, it turns out that they have a large number of customers with the same problem and the voltage regulators are currently on back order, 2 months behind.
Harley Davidson of Fargo ND has put alot of effort into resolving this for me, and it is greatly appreciated, I hope that the regulator they found for me is one of the good ones.
They also gave me a loaner until I get mine back.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 AM
ackmoe666
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head finish/Oil leak

Just brought my 2018 Road Glide special in for 1K service. While checking it in the tech pointed out that the cylinder head finish is chipped off around the spark plugs.
The tech thinks Harley should replace the heads. He's contacting Harley and I'm waiting for a call from him to find out what Harley's reply is.
I also have a lot of oil on my right saddle bag and on the back of the motor.
Has anyone else experienced either of theses issues.
Thanks

Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 AM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just found oil on right side too - 3k miles. Thought I was hallucinating. Oil level fine...

Old 09-28-2018, 08:06 AM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know the outcome ackmoe666

Old 09-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,658 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by ackmoe666
Just brought my 2018 Road Glide special in for 1K service. While checking it in the tech pointed out that the cylinder head finish is chipped off around the spark plugs.
The tech thinks Harley should replace the heads. He's contacting Harley and I'm waiting for a call from him to find out what Harley's reply is.
I also have a lot of oil on my right saddle bag and on the back of the motor.
Has anyone else experienced either of theses issues.
Thanks
Could be coming from breather tubes/air cleaner. Pretty common problem.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:30 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ackmoe666
I wonder if your spark plugs were loose. Mine were. From the factory. The front cylinder outside (left side) plug had apparently not even been torqued down when it was installed. It was leaking combustion-related fluids around the base of the plug, probably in the very area where your tech found chipped finish. The other three plugs were not leaking, but all three were barely finger tight. Others on this forum have reported finding loose spark plugs in their M8 motors.

I took the four plugs to the dealer shop next day and showed them to the service writer. He said it is very unlikely that any damage was done from this looseness of the plugs. I told him that I felt vindicated after a half century of checking the spark plugs on every new motorcycle I've bought. Concerned that the factory put in the wrong plug, a broken plug, didn't tighten it, or something like that. In a half century I never found a spark plug problem during my inspections, and was starting to doubt the necessity of checking them out. Then, I found this on my new Harley.

This, and the half dozen or so other assembly problems I've found on my 2018 RGU, lead me to believe that something is not up to snuff at the engine plant.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 PM
ackmoe666
Stage III

Update: The service writer just called me.
After further investigation, what he thought was chipped finish on the cylinder was actually some type of unidentified material that washed off.
I ask what his opinion was as to what it could be and he had no idea but assured me that it wasn't chipped. What I didn't mention in my original post is that the dealer that has the bike now is not where I purchased the bike so I have no reason to think their blowing smoke up my ***. As far as the oil leak they thought it might me from a rocker. They did the 1K service and took it for a test ride and left it running for a while. They say they can't find any sign of an oil leak. They suggest I take the bike and ride it and return if I see any oil leaks.
I have read on some face book sites that it's not uncommon to se the breather spitting oil when the oil level is at the line on the stick. Some recommend to run it just below the full line on the stick. if I see any leaks I'll follow up this post.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:26 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Good news. Keep us informed.

Mine is running great. No problems, apart from a possible very tiny transmission-to-primary transfer. Very tiny, hardly worth mentioning except for a hair splitter like me. I will pass 10k miles tomorrow or the next day. Love the bike.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:35 PM
ackmoe666
Stage III

It's my third Road Glide.
Absolutely love it. Still have my 2001 Fat Boy for around town but there's nothing like a Road Glide.
I was on my way to bike week in Laconia NH on my 2011 Road Glide Ultra when I got a flat rear tire.
I was about 5 miles from the dealership in NH. I rode in with a flat tire and road out on a new special.
Already added the detachable tour pack and pad for her. Haven't had much time to ride it. Only 1K miles since June.
This thing called work keeps getting in the way. When I get some time off I'll put some real mile on it. The joys of being self employed.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:42 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

All M8 displacements (107, 114, 117), stages (I, II, III, IV) and model bikes (All touring and softails) from 2017 and 2018 are included in HD’s SB1450 regarding sumping. So the answer to your question is NO, sumping is not limited stage III 114.
Ya think this upgrade would help with future sumping.

Quick Reply: M8 problems