Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 AM
northshore_paul
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It sounds like you have a jewel of a dealer. Unfortunately by the numerous posts here of a negative nature your dealer is in the minority. Thirty years ago before HD started with their mega dealerships, a lot of dealers were like the corner hardware store, where they knew you personally and you had an established relationship based on common interests of motorcycles. Often the guy selling the bike would clean the grease off his hands and walk out from the shop when a customer came in. He ran things himself, sometimes with help from his wife or son. You would run into shops like this across the country, in small hamlets and big cities. The big cities would have several and often several independents that catered to the crowd with the much older bikes. If you needed parts or accessories you would not need to take out a second mortgage on your home to finance it, parts were reasonable and good mechanical service was also. Just as so many things are no longer available, try finding that nickel cigar, those days are long gone, the corner hardware store has been replaced by the mega Lowes and Home Depot stores and the dealerships that knew you personally and where you were invited to kick around the shop and drink coffee while he changed your tires, that is also gone the way of the family doctor. You are lucky, it sounds like your dealer knows what customer SERVICE means, cherish him and give him your business so he can stick around for as long as you might need him.

The following 2 users liked this post by northshore_paul:
&HDRULES$ (06-11-2019), Northernproducer (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM
&HDRULES$
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I don't live in a big city we're just a small little town so maybe that's a plus for me.

The following users liked this post:
Wizardofaus (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 AM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts

In December or January, I took my 2017 SGS in for the transmission fluid transfer issue. After verifying that I had the problem, they "fixed" it. The fix didn't work.
In May I took it in again. They did a new fix. Just today, I have crossed 2500 miles since the second fix and my tranny fluid is still at the top of the stick.

My warranty is done at the end of the month. My dealer assures me that, since I had reported while still under warranty, even if the problem wasn't resolved, I'd still be covered,

Old 06-13-2019, 04:24 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Mine still pings and the paint on the saddle bag lids sucks *****. Oh an the m8 sounds like a ricer but hell it gets me down the road with a smile i guess and thats all that matters.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
In December or January, I took my 2017 SGS in for the transmission fluid transfer issue. After verifying that I had the problem, they "fixed" it. The fix didn't work.
In May I took it in again. They did a new fix. Just today, I have crossed 2500 miles since the second fix and my tranny fluid is still at the top of the stick.

My warranty is done at the end of the month. My dealer assures me that, since I had reported while still under warranty, even if the problem wasn't resolved, I'd still be covered,
I'm in for the vent kit. Should be back on the road later next week. I'm interested as to what the difference was between the first fix and then the second?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer

With all these oil transfer issues I'm seeing, I don't think it's fail that a dealer can resell these bikes without fixing them first. I think there should be a class action lawsuit and the public should put the hammer down on Harley Davidson MoCo for not addressing this issue.

The following users liked this post:
Jarlaxle (06-17-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
With all these oil transfer issues I'm seeing, I don't think it's fail that a dealer can resell these bikes without fixing them first. I think there should be a class action lawsuit and the public should put the hammer down on Harley Davidson MoCo for not addressing this issue.
Good luck with that. When people experience the issue (not all do), they will fix it.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Good luck with that. When people experience the issue (not all do), they will fix it.
I bough a used one with either 5k or 7k (another story) and only drove it 600 miles when the transmission started to malfunction. Come to find out it had the fluid transfer issue. The dealership didn't know about it?? I'm calling bull crap on that. So everyone that buys a used bike with the transfer issue is supposed to just suck it up while their bike is in the shop right in the middle of riding season. I call bull crap on that too. Class action lawsuit would be a better idea.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Professor123
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
I'm in for the vent kit. Should be back on the road later next week. I'm interested as to what the difference was between the first fix and then the second?
Yeah, we are supposed to HELP each other on here. It would be of great HELP to the rest of us to know.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

There have actually been 3 attempts:

The first was replacing crankshaft seals in hopes of it being caused by engine vacuum. It failed to work on most.

The second fix was a plastic button that went on the trans mainshaft in an attempt to prevent fluid from passing through the shaft. It didn't work and many reported an increase in transfer.

The third and current fix is to vent the primary with their new kit. It seems to be working from many accounts.

Quick Reply: M8 problems