103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm waiting for the 2020 bikes. LMAO.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM
SirWraithe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't imagine any frame changes in 18, they seem to have finally dialed in this frame with the new suspension on the 17 front end. rides like a dream!

Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Life is to short. I would not have wanted to miss the absolute bliss of riding my 17 Road Glide S for 2,600 miles so far.

There is no tomorrow it is only today. So live today. In my 75 years I have never experienced a tomorrow. It has always been today.
4x4, my feelings exactly! I've had a bunch of Harleys in my life and never thought I would buy a first year motor. However, at 70 years old I didn't want to waste a year to start enjoying my 2017 Ultra Limited Low!

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (10-02-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,305 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by SirWraithe
I can't imagine any frame changes in 18, they seem to have finally dialed in this frame with the new suspension on the 17 front end. rides like a dream!
Yeah I too am very impressed with how these 17s ride.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I am one that is thinking that they are going to change the frame. If they had one modular engine cradle and then bolted on different front and rear ends depending on the model they could reduce the amount of platforms that are unique. The could remove the rubber mounting of the and gain stability with a hard mounted motor and swingarm. Commonality is why you are seeing a counterbalanced touring motor. No more maintaining an "A" and a "B" motor.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (10-02-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 PM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
4x4, my feelings exactly! I've had a bunch of Harleys in my life and never thought I would buy a first year motor. However, at 70 years old I didn't want to waste a year to start enjoying my 2017 Ultra Limited Low!
I wanted the new bike after riding and wife and I both said why wait got extended warranty and a great dealer plus I kept my Electra so always have a spare.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I just couldn't live with the chick flakes in the paint. I will wait for the 18s and hopefully they will have a solid red.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:55 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
I am one that is thinking that they are going to change the frame. If they had one modular engine cradle and then bolted on different front and rear ends depending on the model they could reduce the amount of platforms that are unique. The could remove the rubber mounting of the and gain stability with a hard mounted motor and swingarm. Commonality is why you are seeing a counterbalanced touring motor. No more maintaining an "A" and a "B" motor.
I'm impressed with all I've heard and read about the M8 and will add one to my stable...

I am going to wait until 2018, just to give the MoCo time to work out the kinks. Just like the twin cooled engines had some minor kinks, they were sorted out in short order.... by 2018 they should be nothing more than a bad memory...

But months before the M8 rumors were proved true, I also heard a rumor that a new frame was in store for 2018. The rumor was that a new sub frame would be shared between the touring and dyna lines. For the reasons mentioned above, a new frame would make sense. Especially if the M8 engine will be used in all models in 2018...

It's worth waiting for me, because if true, there would be some major possibilities with a new frame. Think of everything that could be improved: weight, suspension possibilities, maybe changing the drive belt without dropping the rear swing arm, etc, ..... it COULD be a major improvement.

If no new frame, at least the M8 bugs will be dealt with...

Old 10-02-2016, 06:24 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
I just couldn't live with the chick flakes in the paint. I will wait for the 18s and hopefully they will have a solid red.
Really? "Chick flakes"?

There are several bikers where I work. When the new M8 came out I rode one immediately. I was talking to several of the other motorcyclists about how F'n smooth this engine was, how much torque it has and how good the suspension worked. One of the guys in the conversation could only offer "Yeah. I'm really wanting to know what colors are available".

Jeez, I really don't care what colors are available....

Old 10-02-2016, 06:36 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
I am leaning towards waiting for 18 simply because of the new frame rumors. That Candy Red they have now looks very good!
I can say I am one of the lucky guinea pigs with a 2017 ultra limited. Thus far the finest piece of machinery I have ever owned. For the first time in my life I am considering no engine modifications. With regard to the frame. Who knows? I can tell you I wrecked my old bike and bent the frame. Took 3 months to get a new one from HD. Once the frame was shipped to the dealer a clock started ticking and if the dealer did not get the old frame shipped back in time, cut into pieces is a very specific way the dealer started getting daily fines for every day they were late. Sounded pretty extreme to me but I have no reason to believe the tech was pulling my chain. He showed me the frame when it arrived and described the reinforcing plates and welds. He said there is more than 100 years of learning and engineering put into these frames and Harley has found frames taken from dumpsters and re-used. So I would be shocked if they change anything and their control on their intellectual property when it comes to frames is tight. Besides the 2017 bike is pretty awesome. Why change?

Quick Reply: 18 model