Sponsored by:

Test rode a Milwaukee 8 Road King yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:45 AM
jgrohio
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I expect there will be a way in time. That is the first serious shortfall I've read about with the 2017 M8's and IMHO it IS serious. Clutch play, and the ability to adjust it, is a big deal.
Now that Im use to it I dont see any issue, it was just a matter of muscle memory for me coming off my other bike with SE heavy clutch. But like anything else after a 1000 miles or more no longer a thought

The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (01-22-2021)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

I expect there will be a way in time. That is the first serious shortfall I've read about with the 2017 M8's and IMHO it IS serious. Clutch play, and the ability to adjust it, is a big deal.
Took clutch handle off put in vice flatten some of the curve out now its fine still fully disengages and releases no biggie.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLimitz
I test rode the road glide ultra and absolutely was amazed. Coming from my wide glide my first thought upon saddling up i thought wow what a big bike. Once on the road the "big" bike wasnt big at all and manuvered very well. The motor had great power and not even trying i found myself cruising down i70 over 100 not even realizing it. I have no experience on a 16 model and couldnt compare. I am in the market for a road glide, wasnt even considering an ultra but am now. I now know that my new bike will be a 17. Great all around. I, myself didnt seem to notice the clutch issue you mentioned. Truley an amazing bike. I want to ride a road glide special and then the ultra again before i buy ( which is hard finding a 17 special around here) but definately now know that a new m8 is gonna be my new bike.
I am sorta of in the same position as you having ridden WGs for almost 20 years (at 6'7" they fit me well). I have made up my mind that It is time to move to the touring bikes for a little more comfort on the long trips. Like you I felt when sitting on the RGU that this was a much bigger heavier bike, but once I was going I sensed that with just a few days that bike would feel about as nimble as my WG. After the test ride I was sold on the 17 and will soon pull the triger.

I however did feel what others have said about the clutch. For me it was when I was first pulling off, pretty much the same feeling as ricknbeth described. I guess its just second nature when I pull off on my bike to know where the friction zone is on the clutch and my feet automatically come up on the pegs. On the 17 with the friction zone being near the end of the clutch throw, like ricknbeth my feet were up and OH **** I am still sitting still. Felt like a damn newby on a bike for those first few seconds. Once on the road I did not really notice it as much. Then once I returned to the dealership where I had to maneuver around cars and bikes in the lot using the clutch and throttle the clutch friction zone became more apparent. To me is not a deal breaker or something that is good or bad, just different and my guess is after a few days it becomes second nature

Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Is there a HD or aftermarket adjustable clutch lever out there?

Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Is there a HD or aftermarket adjustable clutch lever out there?
The only experience I have had with hydro clutches was when my son was Racing KTMs with hydro clutches. As best I can remember there was no real adjustment as to the friction zone. There was an adjustment on the lever but that just allowed you to bring the lever closer or further away from the bars to adjust for your hand size.

It took him a little bit to get used to the feel of the hydro clutch when he first got on the KTMs but over all he much preferred the self adjustment of the hydro clutch for racing. It assured the same feel though out the race where with a clutch cable it was not uncommon for him to make adjustments on the fly during a race with the adjustment wheel on the clutch perch as the clutch heated up during the race

Old 10-03-2016, 11:59 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

On my 15, when I first got the bike the friction zone was at the end of the lever travel. After a few months it was right in the middle of the travel, right where I like it. So with my limited experience, the friction zone may move on ya.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Went to Bikes Blues & BBQ a couple of weeks ago. I did the demo ride on a bunch of the M8s. They had a great route set up that included two-lane curvy and interstate. Just for comparison, I currently ride a '15 CVO RGU. It was an extremley hot day and I did not notice any heat from any of the M8s. That surprised me considering those bikes were rolling back out as soon as they rolled it. Here are a few of my impressions:
RK - this bike would get me in trouble. Without all of the top weight of the Ultra's, the RK is extremely flickable. Definitely the most fun!
SG - Windshield was too short for my liking. The rear suspension would step out if you hit a bump in a corner at speed. It's possible they had it set wrong. Love the look but not the ride.
Ultra Limited - Nice bike, loved everything about it. Makes me wonder why I need a CVO. No appreciable difference in power when compared to my CVO 110". The M8 is much quieter in the top end. Made me question why I needed a $40k bike.
Ultra Classic - Same as the Limited still no noticeable heat even though its not Twin Cooled.
CVO Limited - Awesome machine. If you don't want to shop for accessories, this is the one to buy. If you enjoy doing upgrades or buying chrome then choose something less expensive. Seat-of-the-pants dyno says the M8 RK will out run it. Especially if there are any twisties involved.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:31 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Had my 2014 BO serviced today. The Dealer gave me a 2017 SG to ride for a couple of hours. That thing was silky smooth to ride and super responsive. The clutch worked just as others have stated with a narrow zone near the end of travel but honestly, It wasn't an issue. Its something you get onto within an hour or so.

Great power and smooth shifting, smooth throttle, smooth clutch and a suspension which IMHO would defy improvement. Being used to the foot forward, back leaning riding position on my BO (with apes), I found the SG foot and bar position a bit awkward at first but by the time I returned to the Dealer, awkwardness was gone.

All in all, I was very very impressed with the 2017 M8 SG.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Had my 2014 BO serviced today. The Dealer gave me a 2017 SG to ride for a couple of hours. That thing was silky smooth to ride and super responsive. The clutch worked just as others have stated with a narrow zone near the end of travel but honestly, It wasn't an issue. Its something you get onto within an hour or so.

Great power and smooth shifting, smooth throttle, smooth clutch and a suspension which IMHO would defy improvement. Being used to the foot forward, back leaning riding position on my BO (with apes), I found the SG foot and bar position a bit awkward at first but by the time I returned to the Dealer, awkwardness was gone.

All in all, I was very very impressed with the 2017 M8 SG.
I traded my 2015 BO for a 2017 Ultra. Took me almost two years to get it the way I wanted it, and lots of money. Bike was cool, lots of folks always looking at it. Loved it. But I must say my new bike is awesome. I never liked "baggers" primarily because of riding position. But this bike needs very little off the showroom floor. I will do the stage one and stop there.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:10 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I continue to plot ways to fund a new 2017 RK. Part of me wants to give a year or 2 on the new engine to work out any kinks, while the little kid in me has the "I wants it now" thing going on. I really have no complaints with my bike, but I keep going to back to how easy this 826lbs machine was to pilot, how plush the suspension was, how much more responsive the new engine is and how the overall package oozed luxury and refinement. Cudos to HD on this bike.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (10-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Test rode a Milwaukee 8 Road King yesterday