Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip Ons for M8?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:53 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
can I just add slips ons without any of the EPA issues and not have to tune the bike?

Yes you can.

Mufflers are not considered emission control devices. Not even here in CA. Several aftermarket companies (like RCX) already have them on their website. They only require CARB or EPA approval on some of the older HD models that had the thermal reactors in the mufflers. If you don't change the head pipe and leave the cat in place, you'll be fine. You won't void your warranty and the sky will not fall on you.

Keep in mind that the language in the EPA settlement only addresses the unapproved tuners.
Not completely accurate info.......

EPA deals with emissions AND noise. It has been illegal for years to alter an exhaust so that it exceeds the allowed db level for the given year bike. Most officers won't deal with it because it requires sound equipment and expertise.

That changed in 2013. The law was amended. 2013 started the requirement that all motorcycle mufflers have the EPA approved stamp on the mufflers.

Now, any bike manufactured on/after 2013 must have the EPA stamp on the mufflers and can be cited by CA LEOs if that stamp is missing. No sound tetsting needed.

I am unaware of an EPA approved & stamped muffler for the M8 bikes other than HD manufacture, at this time. I know Fuelmoto and several others are working on an EPA approved muffler, but it will require testing, EPA approval, and the EPA stamp to be legal.

"California Vehicle Code sections 27201 and 27202 established the following:

A noise limit of 92 decibels applies to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970. A noise limit of 88 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1969 and before 1973; 86 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1972 and before 1975; 83 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1974 and before 1986; 80 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1985.

Motorcycles registered in the state that are manufactured on or after 2013 or have an aftermarket exhaust system manufactured on or after 2013 must have the federal EPA noise emission label affixed to it in order to be operated, used, or parked in the state."

It's correct that the tuners are the subject of the EPA mandate to Harley. You may be able to have an unapproved EPA muffler on your bike, and not have a warranty issue if the tune is not touched.

But without the stamp, you will be eligible for a ticket by CA LEO... If it's not too loud, you're not riding like an idiot, and you understand common courtesy when stopped by an LEO... you should be OK, but without the stamp, there's no guarantee...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-14-2016 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ocezam (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Not completely accurate info. EPA deals with emissions AND noise. It has been illegal for years to alter an exhaust so that it exceeds the allowed db level for the given year bike. Most officers won't deal with it because it requires sound equipment and expertise. That changed in 2013. The law was amended. 2013 started the requirement that all motorcycle mufflers have the EPA approved stamp on the mufflers. Now, any bike manufactured on/after 2013 must have the EPA stamp on the mufflers and can be cited by CA LEOs if that stamp is missing. No sound testing needed. I am unaware of an EPA approved & stamped muffler for the M8 bikes other than HD manufacture, at this time. I know Fuelmoto and several others are working on an EPA approved muffler, but it will require testing, EPA approval, and the EPA stamp to be legal.

It's correct that the tuners are the subject of the EPA mandate to Harley. You may be able to have an unapproved EPA muffler on your bike, and not have a warranty issue if the tune is not touched. But without the stamp, you will be eligible for a ticket by CA LEO... If it's not too loud, you're not riding like an idiot, and you understand common courtesy when stopped by an LEO... you should be OK, but without the stamp, there's no guarantee...
Excellent post. Too many people are citing the past and making declarations about the future. Better to consider all the ramifications of the EPA settlement, balance that with the political climate and then prognosticate the future. Also too many people are citing the Magnuson Moss act claiming it will protect them to do anything to the bike. The Magnuson Most act never protected owners (me included) that put off road only parts on a street bike. However the political climate never gave the factory, or the EPA, reason to pursue it.

The future? Make up your own mind.

No one can tell you exactly what will be questioned and what will be denied in a court. And if Harley decides to deny a warranty claim, court is your only option. You won't get to provide them with a copy of the Magnuson Moss Act and have them back down. You will need a judge for that. How deep are your pockets compared to the Moco? How much will your attorney cost, win or lose? Harley has a building full of lawyers. Doesn't matter how long we've ridden Harleys. Doesn't matter what we've gotten away with in the past. Doesn't matter if you yourself are a lawyer. The political and judicial climate is changing.

Notice in FuelMoto's own post in this thread, Jamie was careful to say "with options that are 50 State Emissions legal" (my emphasis). Will they also be EPA noise legal? He also says "with NO affect on warranty" (his emphasis). Will the pipes or any attached literature say off road use only? Will the pipes be stamped in the steel as EPA certified?

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We will have mufflers available in November with options that are 50 State Emissions legal, with NO affect on warranty.

Last edited by ocezam; 10-14-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ocezam
Notice in FuelMoto's own post in this thread, Jamie was careful to say "with options that are 50 State Emissions legal" (my emphasis). Will they also be EPA noise legal? He also says "with NO affect on warranty" (his emphasis). Will the pipes or any attached literature say off road use only? Will the pipes be stamped in the steel as EPA certified?
Well, I'd never be one to try to make sense of marketing speak... but I suspect the FM mufflers will have a choice with the EPA stamp. Since the CAT is in the head pipe, the mufflers have nothing to do with the emissions, but only the EPA sound constraints. Without the EPA stamp, they won't be able to compete with the warranty sensitive consumers who are buying the EPA approved Harley stuff.

Time will tell......

A lot of the people getting all worked up seem to forget, the whole EPA/Warranty issue is only two years.... After that you're on your own dime.... then you can set it up per your own preference...

I bought a Heritage new in 2003... I had it for 6 months, the engine was purring like a kitten, and only had one small warranty issue (not engine related). It was time... I blew off the balance of the engine warranty in favor of a big bore kit including full exhaust, and cams... never looked back!

That bike is still running awesome @ 95 cu in. The only thing I've done to it is tensioners (preventative) and a better tune with my PV tuner.....

Based on all I've read, I can't wait to see how places like FM will get these M8s humming with tunes and non-EPA aftermarket improvements.... There is definitely an M8 in my future about a year from now..... Whoo Hoo!

Last edited by hattitude; 10-15-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:30 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
A lot of the people getting all worked up seem to forget, the whole EPA/Warranty issue is only two years.... After that you're on your own dime.... then you can set it up per your own preference...
That's not wholly accurate. Many guys, not myself, have purchased extended warranties up to seven years.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

just changing the slip on pipes will not put your warrantee in jeopardy. You are not changing the parameters of how the engine works (ie not messing with the computer mapping). If you keep a stock tune with slip ons, there should be no issues.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I rode a new '17 SGS last Friday with dealer installed Screamin' Eagle intake, exhaust and tuner. Sounded pretty quiet at idle, but when you rolled the throttle up, I really liked the tone, and just the right amount of commanding bark for me.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
I rode a new '17 SGS last Friday with dealer installed Screamin' Eagle intake, exhaust and tuner. Sounded pretty quiet at idle, but when you rolled the throttle up, I really liked the tone, and just the right amount of commanding bark for me.

I am considering the screaming eagle slip ons. I like a nice rumble, but I seriously do not like having ringing ears on a long ride when I get to my destination. I haven't seen or heard anyone running the screaming eagle slip ons with air and tune yet.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:08 PM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

That's not wholly accurate. Many guys, not myself, have purchased extended warranties up to seven years.
You bring up a good point mentioning extended warranties.

I wonder what happens to the extended warranty if you void your warranty changing exhaust or tune? Seems like it might be handled more diligently if the person had an extended warranty vs just the 2yr mfg warranty.

With an extended warranty, if you trade the bike early, you can cash it back in..So if you void your 2 year warranty, wouldn't you be able to get a refund on the extended warranty?

Seems like it it would be money out of either the dealers pocket or HD, neither of which are going to wanna take a loss. I wonder what would happen in this case...

Old 10-17-2016, 01:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

My bad, good point....

I'm not an extended warranty guy, but I forget there are many that are....

Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
I am considering the screaming eagle slip ons. I like a nice rumble, but I seriously do not like having ringing ears on a long ride when I get to my destination. I haven't seen or heard anyone running the screaming eagle slip ons with air and tune yet.
Talk to your dealer. Mine said it was about a $1500 add-on for all 3. Unless you are looking for a rocket, and based on my ride, that is all the performance upgrades I would want - and it did make a significant difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip Ons for M8?