Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Harleys fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1142107-harleys-fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit.html)

WingsMC 10-16-2016 08:57 PM

Harleys fan-assisted-oil-cooler-kit

Does anyone that has a 2017 touring bike have this kit on their bike? And is this fan assisted oil cooler worth it? I live in South Florida where it is always really hot and heavy traffic has become the norm. Thanks

Steve Cole 10-17-2016 10:19 AM

Do not have one yet but I will. They told me back ordered until Nov 15. So once it comes in it will be install along with synthetic oil.

WingsMC 10-17-2016 11:35 AM

Thank you for your reply. I'll be ordering it.

mitchflhx 10-17-2016 04:02 PM

I had one installed about two weeks ago. Wanted to get it covered under my warranty. I live in the mid Atlantic so it's cooling off a bit right now. Not sure if it helps, but what can it hurt. BTW I also had the rear cylinder cooling fan installed.

Mitch

CharliesHarley 10-20-2016 08:12 AM

Oil cooler fan

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 15601607)
Do not have one yet but I will. They told me back ordered until Nov 15. So once it comes in it will be install along with synthetic oil.

Should we also consider the other fan behind the rear cylinder, which shows the heat being pulled down and out to the rear? thanks

Steve Cole 10-20-2016 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CharliesHarley (Post 15610543)
Should we also consider the other fan behind the rear cylinder, which shows the heat being pulled down and out to the rear? thanks

This is just my opinion, on the rear cool fan option. It's not going to do a thing to cool the engine any, it is going to keep the heat from the rear area from rising up to you the rider in slow speed riding (<25). So if your feeling too much heat then I am sure it will help that feeling and it will also help the feeling of heat on the passengers right foot and ankle.

FastHoss 10-22-2016 04:37 PM

Too bad they don't make a kit that you could channel all that heat in the winter time to keep you warm!

Gunnysgt 10-23-2016 06:50 AM

It's pretty well established that the rear fan is primarily for passenger comfort. Not really marketed to cool the motor. I've got 2500 on mine now and even on really hot days she has not commented on any heat issues like previous bikes. I'm moving to SC in the spring, I may look into the front oil cooler fan though. I put the Ultra Cool fan assisted oil cooler on an 08 a few years ago, it worked pretty good.

lh4x4 10-26-2016 07:52 PM

The rear fan does both. It is activated by the ecm depending on rear head temps. At slower speeds under 35 it is pulling more air past the head at the exhaust port. May not be a major thing but everything adds up like also doing a tank lift for more air over the rocker covers has shown a small amount of cooling.

I have one on my solo seated RGS. When I was in a city with a stop light every block for many blocks it came on.

squiggyreck 06-28-2017 03:39 PM

Fan Assisted Oil Cooler

can someone tell me if the Harley Fan assisted oil cooler push the air through the oil cooler, or doen it suck/pull the air across the cooler??

thanks