Sponsored by:

Batwing or Sharknose

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Bhooda
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batwing or Sharknose

Wanting to buy an M8 in the spring. Looking at a long distance touring bike, either an ultra limited with a batwing, or a road glide ultra with a shark nose. I've driven them both, and like the balance and handling of the road glide but I get so much wind buffeting through the forks and around the fairing it's not something id like to put long distance miles in with. The batwing doesn't hit me with so much wind but it's riding position isn't as comfortable for me as the road glide. Ive heard that replacing the windscreen on the glide with say a klock werks flare or pro touring windscreen makes all the difference in buffeting. Also Harley makes a snap in piece that attaches to the crash bar for the glide that is supposed to limit the wind thru the fork tunnel but can't find any reviews on that piece to see if it's effective. I've also seen lots of folks that have traded a batwing for a shark nose but not so much the other way. So I'm looking for some honest opinions on people's preference between the two. Yes, i know your going to get wind either way and no I'm not buying a car instead. I ride a Heritage currently so I'm familiar with wind. Just want the best and most comfortable bang for the buck for long touring. I'm 5'9" and wonder if those fork inserts and a new windshield will make the road glide the best touring bike.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

What buffeting on a RGU. I have owned a 2007 RG, 2011 RGU ,2013 RGU, 2016 RGU and now a 2017 RGU. never had any buffeting issues. Some may want different windshields that is just a personal thing. By far the RGU is the best touring bike.

The following users liked this post:
Bhooda (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 12:03 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

I road both back to back several times before I bought my '17. Very little difference IMO. I stayed with the batwing. Been riding one for years. And it was SLIGHTLY cheaper.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:36 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
I road both back to back several times before I bought my '17. Very little difference IMO. I stayed with the batwing. Been riding one for years. And it was SLIGHTLY cheaper.
Me too... I did a pair of test rides on each one and I was still undecided so I rented each one for a day.

From a practical standpoint I really wanted to like the RG better just for the fairing storage boxes. But I really couldn't tell much (if any) difference in buffeting or wind stability and the SG fit me a little better, the handlebars felt like there were in a little better position for me.

So I went with the SGS because it fit better and I liked the position of the Nav screen a little better.

Real slow speed parking lot kind of maneuvering was really the only plus for RG IMO. It handles great slow! Other than that the handling between the two bikes was remarkably similar.

The following 2 users liked this post by rjjj629:
Bhooda (11-12-2016), ocezam (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:36 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

This subject has been beat to death. OP you are the only one that can make this decision. It comes down to what fits you and feels more comfortable. Some will say the shark is better and some will say the batwing is better. I rode both and went with the batwing in my opinion it is the better of the 2 for me.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

The Road Glide has always been the better bike (IMHO) but with the advent of the M8 and it's new suspension, the differences are few. It's really come down to personal preference.
I will say the Batwing is warmer and you hear the sound system better, it feels more compact. The Roadie is more stable in cross winds and feels more spacious.

Bhooda (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 03:57 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Will take possession of a new RGU next week. Went in wanting an SG, rode both, and for me, the RGU won me over.

But man, talk about a matter of personal opinion... it doesn't get any more personal than this comparison.

Either way, the new '17's are remarkable, and I think you would quickly adapt and grow to love either choice. They are both amazing machines!!

Bhooda (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
This subject has been beat to death. OP you are the only one that can make this decision. It comes down to what fits you and feels more comfortable. Some will say the shark is better and some will say the batwing is better...
Bhooda, I will agree with this ^^ post.

What you're really asking us is which is better: sausage or pepperoni. Blondes or brunettes.

If this thread goes long enough, you'll read every positive opinion on both bikes, and plenty of opinions saying that those opinions are wrong.

Take them both for a long enough ride to develop your personal opinion. If the dealer won't let you do that, you really shouldn't have too much difficulty finding fellow riders to go on a ride with, and swap bikes for a while.

I'm with the other RG riders in the thread...I've never felt buffeting. I thought the stock windshield was a POS which is why I bought an aftermarket windshield, and those little $45 deflectors that clip on to the engine guard really do work.

Good luck. I made my choice, and I love it.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Bhooda (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I prefer the looks of a RG, not that the Batwing is bad. I like the feeling of openness I get from the RG whereas the Batwing feels cramped to me.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:26 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I thought the stock windshield was a POS which is why I bought an aftermarket windshield,
Yeah that's true of either bike IMO, the stock windshield sucks.

Quick Reply: Batwing or Sharknose