Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 04:16 AM
2018 lowrider M8
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by lrcormier
i've been following this thread and some of the information/opinions are laughable. I subscribe to the external breather group and have been riding a hd since 72, well before the time when they started to vent the crankcase into the carburetor now throttle body. I simply vent to the ground and can also confirm that none of the vented oil ends up anywhere on my underside/saddlebags/tires. Granted i'm currently riding a 14 flhtk so maybe the m8 vents more oil than the twin-cam 103 but i wouldn't think so. I think what really deters most folks from doing this mod has to do with warranty because it is illegal to modify an epa requirement. Also i felt that it would be better to not have hot oxygen deprived gases being pumped directly into my stage 1 cold air intake..
bingo

Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Vanishing Vapour gotta get some!

Originally Posted by lrcormier
I've been following this thread and some of the information/opinions are laughable. I subscribe to the external breather group and have been riding a HD since 72, well before the time when they started to vent the crankcase into the carburetor now throttle body. I simply vent to the ground and can also confirm that none of the vented oil ends up anywhere on my underside/saddlebags/tires. Granted I'm currently riding a 14 FLHTK so maybe the M8 vents more oil than the twin-cam 103 but I wouldn't think so. I think what really deters most folks from doing this mod has to do with warranty because it is illegal to modify an EPA requirement. Also I felt that it would be better to not have hot oxygen deprived gases being pumped directly into my stage 1 cold air intake..
Good for you.My 2001 Carburated Springer has breather pipes.Guess the world left you behind a long time ago?
Did you see the pictures from a guy who ran a pipe directly from the one breather outlet,in a closed loop,to the other?
Guaranteed to cause damage all due to these false prophecies!

Old 01-13-2019, 10:45 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

If peter Quinn was a harley tech and I a harley shop owner, I would throw him outta my shop.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:53 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

The shop I bought my bike from refused to even look at it when I brought the bike in for an inspection sticker when the notice my external crank venting system.
Fiund anither dealership close by that is not retarted

Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I simply drilled and tapped my high flow breather back plate at the head mounting tabs. Then I filled the stock holes with a screw and JB Weld. Ran a small fuel line with a T in it over the throttle body and down the frame behind the tranny to an Inline filter. Just clean it once in a while with diesel. Works perfect and looks OEM.
BTW this is what my piston looked looked like with 1k on it b4 117 kit. Putting oil in the combustion chamber is dumb.

Last edited by Timberjkd; 01-13-2019 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
splattttttt (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
I simply drilled and tapped my high flow breather back plate at the head mounting tabs. Then I filled the stock holes with a screw and JB Weld. Ran a small fuel line with a T in it over the throttle body and down the frame behind the tranny to an Inline filter. Just clean it once in a while with diesel. Works perfect and looks OEM.
BTW this is what my piston looked looked like with 1k on it b4 117 kit. Putting oil in the combustion chamber is dumb.
amazing how many bikes have survived long life without doing any of this and experienced significant problems, just sayin'

Peter Quinn (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Timberjkd
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
amazing how many bikes have survived long life without doing any of this and experienced significant problems, just sayin'
So dont do it....
I'm just posting what I did in reference to the thread.

Sam D. (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberjkd
So dont do it....
I'm just posting what I did in reference to the thread.
understood, this thread seems to be a weighing pros and cons evaluation with different perspectives

Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

Good for you.My 2001 Carburated Springer has breather pipes.Guess the world left you behind a long time ago?
Did you see the pictures from a guy who ran a pipe directly from the one breather outlet,in a closed loop,to the other?
Guaranteed to cause damage all due to these false prophecies!
Your reply makes no sense and has nothing to do with my input. One only needs to google crankcase ventilation and discover that the only reason cars and motorcycles vent into the intake is the result of EPA requirements. Engineers would rather not vent into the intake and doing so may not be completely detrimental to the engine in most cases but there is certainly no benefit either. I think what anyone who is contemplating doing a bypass should first educate themselves and then decide for themselves if doing this is for them and not just rely on what someones opinione on this forum might be. It is technically illegal but then again so is putting a louder muffler on your bike, and you may not want to do this mode if you still have your warranty to worry about.

Softy 103 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Harley Bouncer

Originally Posted by splattttttt
If peter Quinn was a harley tech and I a harley shop owner, I would throw him outta my shop.
Not quite! If you were a dealer principal,all your customers would migrate to a dealer who does not create stupid modifications in his backyard! Harley would not give you a job washing bikes let alone a dealership.Guess I'm safe!

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?