Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2017 CVO Streetglide. Couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Gasguzlr
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New 2017 CVO Streetglide. Couple of questions.

I'm coming off a 2014 SGS with a Stage I. I thought I was going to keep that bike for a long time. Then I rode an M8 107 and was immediately impressed with the suspension changes, and of course the motor. The bike just felt lighter, even though it's not, and felt so planted in the corners. At first it really didn't feel like that much more in the engine department, until I started getting into the throttle a little bit. It's deceptively smooth and willing, and makes power so effortlessly. And I started to get the itch...

So my dealer brings in a CVO Streetglide, the black sort of two-tone version. That was all she wrote... it's sitting in my garage now. If it wasn't snowing I'd be riding it instead of sitting at the computer.

Everyone likes pics, so here's a few...

The engine is everything the 107 is, plus more, as you would expect. The exhaust leaves me wanting more... spooled up she sounds great but at idle and low rpm's it's a just little shallow.

I've got a bunch of goodies coming for it, just some cosmetic stuff to make it more to my liking. And I'm thinking about some performance upgrades too. Doing a Stage I for sure, but I'm wondering if I should just push it a little bit further.

I'm thinking about this because of the 60-day thing... if I get the upgrade done with that time then it'll be covered for the full extent of the warranty (I bought the 5 year extended). Otherwise if I wait past the 60 days the staged up motor is only good for one year warranty. I'm considering either the Stage II (torque cam) or the Stage III. I don't really wanna drop the coin on the III yet, plus the motor has damn good power right now. On the other hand, I could do just the Stage II now, let her run like that for a few years and then do the Stage III in a few years when I'm closer to running out the 5 year warranty anyway.

Problem is, there are so few owners who have one either the Stage II, torque version, or especially the Stage III. But hopefully someone out there will have some experience with either one or the other.

Questions: Does the torque cam upgrade give that much more of a noticable increase? I've seen the dyno charts on Harley's website, but looking for some real-world feedback. Or should I just bite the bullet now and get the Stage III? I'm less enthusiastic about having them tear the motor apart for the St III. Plus getting the Stage II would be about as much as I could do OTHER than the St III while still keeping the warranty. And if I do the Stage III later it sort of gives me something to look forward to later.

Sorry for the rambling post... looking forward to feedback. Great forum, guys.

Cheers

r

Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Congrats and Enjoy!

YB

Old 11-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Congrats. Very sweet CVO.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Sweet! Congratulations.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Man, that is one seriously beautiful bike! Congrats!!! Personally, I'd ride it as is for at least a few thousand miles before breaking out the wallet to make upgrades. How do you really know what needs changed/upgraded without allot of pavement behind you?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by YammyDrummer
Man, that is one seriously beautiful bike! Congrats!!! Personally, I'd ride it as is for at least a few thousand miles before breaking out the wallet to make upgrades. How do you really know what needs changed/upgraded without allot of pavement behind you?
I agree with this.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:11 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

That thing is freakin' gorgeous! Congratulations!

I've only got the 107 in a SGS and I haven't done any engine mods but I hear the stage 2 is pretty impressive. I understand the desire to get it included in the warranty package, and honestly, if I was pretty sure I wanted to do the stage upgrades somewhere down the line I would definitely try to get them in that 60 day warranty window.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Gasguzlr
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate the responses so far. I managed to get just over a thousand on it before we got socked in, so at least I've got some idea how she feels so far. Frankly there isn't a lot it really NEEDS because the torque is just there, whenever you go looking for it. But it's that ol' idea that... I wonder what just a LITTLE more would fee like... y'know?

I'm really loving this bike so far... it's everything that my 103 was, plus much more. More power, more handling, more stereo, more unique appearance... I wasn't sure how the paint with the flakes would sit with me, but it's pretty subtle and when you do notice it, it makes it seem a little more special.

I think this one's gonna be a keeper for awhile. Just really tempted to cam her up a bit with that Stage II and enjoy a slight boost, then get the Stage III down the road. We'll see.

Cheers

r

Old 11-20-2016, 07:17 PM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

What's up with that fender mounted brake light. MY 17 CVO Street Glide does not have that. I don't want one either, just never seen one on a 17 SESG

Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the same CVO SG. I decided to spend my extras money on lower stage 1 boom and the CVO Limited heated hammock seat. I was coming off a 06 Ultra with the 88. So engine upgrades were not needed for me. Enjoy this ride I can't wait to get on it in the morning and take it to get the 1K.

Quick Reply: New 2017 CVO Streetglide. Couple of questions.