Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Exhuast Legal or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,566 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhuast Legal or Not

The US EPA and various states have rules and regulations that limit Exhaust noise and emissions along with what MUST be done to be Compliant with those regulations. You can find these limits and regulations with a simple internet search if you like. In short, ALL exhaust are required by the US EPA to be stamped and be under the max noise limit based on the year of the motorcycle it is for, to be legal. Many states also require that any replacement exhaust cannot be louder than what it was supplied with from the manufacture. Vermont being one of the worst states for noise changes.

"Any exhaust system on a motorcycle will be deemed defective if any changes, modifications, alterations, deletions, or adjustments have been made which would cause the exhaust system to generate a higher sound level than would be generated by the exhaust system customarily installed by the manufacturer as original equipment. "

All these are required and the law. If you do not like it, then let's hope the Trump can help make some changes but for now it's the law in ALL 50 states

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=40:19.0.1.1.1

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-noise-limits/

http://www.riderzlaw.com/motorcycle-...and-emissions/

These will get you started and there are plenty more if your willing to look around.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:19 PM
artie2908
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Vermont? I must be missing something. I and lot of my riding buddies have changed from stock exhausts to much louder aftermarket pipes. Never had a problem with inspection and / or law enforcement officers. They are very reasonable. Now, snowmobiles on National Forest land or Federal lands might be another story.

The following users liked this post:
hikervt (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:38 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

As Steve points out, there are many laws on the books about loud exhaust... EPA has mandated sound restriction compliance from OEM manufacturers since 1970....

How the EPA laws are enforced within the different states varies greatly. Even within the same state, the enforcement of the laws will range from nil to over zealous.

Some info for my CA brothers:

Until 2013, an LEO had to show you are not in compliance with sound level restrictions. Some jurisdictions allow this to be done by mere observation, others require training/expertise, and some require actual bike testing by officers trained to use special equipment.

In 2013, the EPA added a requirement. After 1/1/13, all new bikes sold, not only needed EPA compliant exhaust, the mufflers must be stamped/engraved with an EPA compliance label.

Then the great minds in CA had an idea. They passed a law (27202.1(a) CVC) making it illegal to park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of CA, that does not have the EPA exhaust system stamp/label.

Basically, any muffler on a 2013+ bike needs to have an EPA label or you are violating the law. Don't try to tell the LEO that the muffler is tested and 50 states EPA compliant... the law doesn't care about that.... it has to have the EPA label, period, or it's illegal.

This can become an issue. Many aftermarket companies are spending considerable time & money to bring EPA compliant mods to the market place. If they don't have an EPA label on the muffler, and you use them on your CA bike, you will still be eligible for a ticket AND you could be required to remove the "illegal" part.

The sky is not falling, I'm sure things will be worked out.... but information is power... you need to be aware of this as you chose your modifications...

For now.... ride safe, use common sense, and you shouldn't have an issue with any LEO....

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

This hasn't been legal since like the 70's. I dunno. Don't care. Yet... nearly all of have done it.

Same with Tuners like the TTS or Powercommander.

In the case of some products, their manufacturers will find a way to comply (if they want), others will go away.

Last edited by lp; 11-22-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:58 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Luckily, the state of Idaho doesn't give a rat's patoot about motorcycles.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (11-22-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 06:56 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The US EPA and various states have rules and regulations that limit Exhaust noise and emissions along with what MUST be done to be Compliant with those regulations. You can find these limits and regulations with a simple internet search if you like. In short, ALL exhaust are required by the US EPA to be stamped and be under the max noise limit based on the year of the motorcycle it is for, to be legal. Many states also require that any replacement exhaust cannot be louder than what it was supplied with from the manufacture. Vermont being one of the worst states for noise changes.

"Any exhaust system on a motorcycle will be deemed defective if any changes, modifications, alterations, deletions, or adjustments have been made which would cause the exhaust system to generate a higher sound level than would be generated by the exhaust system customarily installed by the manufacturer as original equipment. "

All these are required and the law. If you do not like it, then let's hope the Trump can help make some changes but for now it's the law in ALL 50 states

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=40:19.0.1.1.1

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-noise-limits/

http://www.riderzlaw.com/motorcycle-...and-emissions/

These will get you started and there are plenty more if your willing to look around.
Steve. Thanks for posting, very helpful. It is curious that several slip-ons get noticeably louder with added miles. Was told the fiberglass packing gets "packed down" so it gets louder. I know mine got 8% louder after 700 miles, I can hear it also. Obviously the testing is done on a brand new unit. Do you think the manufacturer does this on purpose to give more bark to a pipe and still make it pass EPA testing?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:55 AM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by hikervt; 12-12-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hikervt:
RK14SGS (11-30-2016), SBates08 (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I think Steve was just trying to provide facts for people to be informed and use the information at their own discretion, as the EPA has been dynamically changing and apparently been causing more confusion these days. btw I absolutely love the look and sound of your Fuel Moto Hi Roller Mufflers!

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-23-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:38 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hikervt
Exactly.. These laws have been in place forever. I've been in Vermont all my life (riding over 30 years) and have never heard of someone getting a ticket for exhaust here... and as Steve Cole mentioned Vermont is one of the worst states for having environmental / noise type laws. That said the only people getting tickets are helmet violators(rarely) and people driving reckless (100%).

But that isn't what this thread is about. Steve is stepping out of his area of expertise to throw stones at another vendor. Everyone on the forums know this as we've all watched. Fuel Moto post something exciting.. wait for it.. wait for it.. here comes Steve Cole and a few others...Why the mods let it go on is beyond me. All it does is make people post less and visit less. Who wants to read wide spread panic in EVERY thread that is about a new product or something that sounds GREAT. Who wants to post something exciting only to have people jump on you with all this negativity.
Exactly my thought, you beat me to the key board. This thread comes after his challenge to FM. LOL, it's sad actually. The funny thing is using a TTS tuner alters the factory EPA compliance, but he tries to stir up muffler concerns. I met Steve Cole in Daytona many years ago, and he spent a good thirty minutes explaining the whole ECM and TTS tuner, which was awesome. I learned a lot. I have also personally been the FM three times, and actually spent some quality time in the dyno room with Jamie. Invaluable experience. Both are great guys, but there is no point in my opinion to stir up stuff. FM has their product, Steve has his. There are other vendors that target FM as well. It gets down to character and reputation, and actually jealousy. I don't see a FM post ranting about a TTS tuner violating EPA compliance. And that speaks volumes in itself. FM doesn't trash other vendors, period. JMO.

The following 8 users liked this post by RK14SGS:
Bigiron (11-23-2016), CraigB1960 (12-19-2016), hikervt (11-23-2016), Keith4001r (11-26-2016), lp (11-23-2016), Road_Hawg (11-23-2016), SBates08 (11-23-2016), trirod (12-10-2016) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

I am a big fan of Jaime & FuelMoto. I use his parts & tuner on both my bikes. I don't see this as an attack on him or his products.

I advised Jaime of the new CA law on his thread, because it is different from all the sound laws since 1970.

It's just new information, something to be aware of......

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhuast Legal or Not