Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filters

Old 12-03-2016, 06:54 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Thanks for the info. Others can do what they want. But I decided a long time ago to stick with OEM oil filters for everything. Biggest reason being that the pressure relief valve is set to a specific value for the OEM filters. If you buy something else it may or may not be the correct value. Why chance it?
I agree 100%..most people wouldn't think of an oil filter as being 'tuned'...lol..but OEM filters are best for your vehicles...be it Harley, GM, Toyota........and not only that, they aren't more expensive...totally with you on the "Why chance it?", especially under warranty...Risk/Reward doesn't favor aftermarket

Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree price is about the same OEM or aftermarket. I have used both but will stick with OEM for peace of mind.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Interesting... the fear.

There is nothing wrong with K&N filters, there is no risk to warranty, and people have been using them for decades. If you like them, use them.

Same with oil. Use what you want, or use ONLY what the manufacturer insists (which pads their pockets). Up to you.

Can we get some examples of HD voiding a warranty claim for using a competitors oil or more specifically, a K&N filter. You won't find one.... piece of mind you say? Where?

Last edited by lp; 12-03-2016 at 07:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
elky72ss454 (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
Interesting... the fear.

There is nothing wrong with K&N filters, there is no risk to warranty, and people have been using them for decades. If you like them, use them.

Same with oil. Use what you want, or use ONLY what the manufacturer insists (which pads their pockets). Up to you.

Can we get some examples of HD voiding a warranty claim for using a competitors oil or more specifically, a K&N filter. You won't find one....
no fear here..of course K&N and others will work just fine and people are free to use whatever they want..just not seeing the real world benefit of cost, performance, make your engine last longer, etc...in the rare unlikelihood you have a problem after a DIY/aftermarket engine component related issue..it may come back to bite you

and re: "or use ONLY what the manufacturer insists (which pads their pockets)"..seems conspiracy theory is prevalent on HD OEM hate..stuff works just fine too, folks complain all the time about OEM stuff being a buck or two more here and there, inferior, etc. after spending $30,000 on their bike...personally I would love Harley Davidson to be a long term successful Corporation...if buying their products which work just fine helps, then why not help support them..but I've always been a HD proprietary product fan boy, always been happy with the fit, finish and performance...Harley owners, despite not being considered the most reliable bikes, have the highest rate of loyalty of any brand and it's not even close.

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-03-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:59 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

The MOCO makes fine products, makes ownership and maintenance so easy, why shop elsewhere.

Having been in the vehicle maintenance and repair field for over 45 years and current shop owner, I have an opportunity to see lots of aftermarket stuff. My take away from all this experience is that nobody does it better than the OEM.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-03-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no fear here..of course K&N and others will work just fine and people are free to use whatever they want..just not seeing the real world benefit of cost, performance, make your engine last longer, etc...in the rare unlikelihood you have a problem after a DIY/aftermarket engine component related issue..it may come back to bite you

and re: "or use ONLY what the manufacturer insists (which pads their pockets)"..seems conspiracy theory is prevalent on HD OEM hate..stuff works just fine too, folks complain all the time about OEM stuff being a buck or two more here and there, inferior, etc. after spending $30,000 on their bike...personally I would love Harley Davidson to be a long term successful Corporation...if buying their products which work just fine helps, then why not help support them..but I've always been a HD proprietary product fan boy, always been happy with the fit, finish and performance...Harley owners, despite not being considered the most reliable bikes, have the highest rate of loyalty of any brand and it's not even close.
The HD stuff is fine. Their oil filter does not have a nut on the end. The K&N is better in that regard and will not void your warranty nor come back to bite you, nor lead to the end of HD due to missing profit.

To be a self pronounced "fan-boy" is fine. We all like our bikes and by extension, the MOCO. But you're not teaching anyone anything we don't already know about the MOCO, oil, filters, etc etc. People discuss aftermarket items here daily. The aftermarket does in fact make some pretty quality parts and in a lot of cases perform well beyond what HD uses as OEM in either performance or features (nut on the end). Furthermore, it's that aftermarket that drives HD to improve their own quality...

Good talk.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
The HD stuff is fine. Their oil filter does not have a nut on the end. The K&N is better in that regard and will not void your warranty nor come back to bite you, nor lead to the end of HD due to missing profit.

To be a self pronounced "fan-boy" is fine. We all like our bikes and by extension, the MOCO. But you're not teaching anyone anything we don't already know about the MOCO, oil, filters, etc etc. People discuss aftermarket items here daily. The aftermarket does in fact make some pretty quality parts and in a lot of cases perform well beyond what HD uses as OEM in either performance or features (nut on the end). Furthermore, it's that aftermarket that drives HD to improve their own quality...

Good talk.
yes, lots of quality products out there..and good to have choices...competition is a good thing or we're left with complacency..good points

Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Using HiFlo filters on my '15 Limited. Great filter with the nut like K&N, but less pricey.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil filters

I hope you guys can have a good crap before you by a filter then you wouldn't be so uptight what you buy at the parts store.From Fram on up there all good.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beltdriven
I hope you guys can have a good crap before you by a filter then you wouldn't be so uptight what you buy at the parts store.From Fram on up there all good.
I can't find a single reference in this whole thread that says anything about any aftermarket filter not being good...the point was mainly, since they all in fact will work, and are similarly priced, why even bother taking a chance with your expensive motorcycle, especially under warranty.

re: "From Fram on up there all good." interesting that your reference starts with Fram and they go up from there.....hmmmm

now you'll have to excuse me as I must adjourn to my 'throne'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filters