Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,256 Posts

All I know about the Oil Filter on my '17 RK is that during a discussion with the Service Advisor at MY Dealership, I was informed that not only is the OEM Oil Filter better spec'd for our bikes than the K&N Oil Filter that I was going to put on my bike, but if I roll my bike in there for service with the K&N on it, it WILL void my warranty. Now, with that said whether or not that's 100% true or not, I don't know. Is it the hill I want to die on to push the issue? No. Do I believe that the OEM is actually spec'd better for our bikes than K&N? Yes. Did I have to buy HD's freakin' Oil Filter Wrench to get the one off that the dealer put on during its 1000 mile service? Yes. So, I now have the Wrench, believe their filter is either one of the best, if not THE best Filter for my bike, and don't want to get into a pissin' match with the Warranty Dept. over $2-3 price difference on a stupid Oil Filter! I now have 2 of the OEM Filters on the shelf in my shop for future oil changes.

During the same conversation with the same gentleman, interestingly enough, I was informed that using Mobil 1 20w-50 V-Twin Oil is fine with them because it's a good oil and wet clutch specific, soooooo....... I will continue buying that online wherever it's on sale and shipping is free.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Beltdriven
I hope you guys can have a good crap before you by a filter then you wouldn't be so uptight what you buy at the parts store.From Fram on up there all good.
If you think Fram makes a good oil filter, buy a filter (the orange one), weigh it, then cut it open and see the glued in cardboard ends and little filter media. You won't use another one.

Last edited by checkers; 06-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast
This debate is never ending, no matter if I am on a performance car site, or here. Oil filter specs of the bypass valve can vary, but I bet not enough to make a hill of beans difference once the oil is at proper operating temps. If you think about it, all engines need oil flow, so why would filter manufacturers have to greatly vary this specification? There is plenty of range for tolerance that will apply here.

Cheap oil filters, like Fram's "orange" filters are the only filters I have seen fail and nearly kill an engine. Had a friend buy a 2001 WS6 Trans Am stupid cheap (3K) because the owner thought the motor was blown up (knocking). When the car was on the ramps prepping for tear down, the Fram orange filter was noticed. It was immediately removed and replaced with a better filter....and oil change. Car ran great, no knocking. He sold the car for 10K and pocketed the difference.

Your first statement about, why stray from OEM? Easy, because the aftermarket offers things the OEM filter may not have. Nano-fiber (microglass) media. Research it, and you will never use cheap cellulose or synthetic cellulose media again. It can trap smaller micron particles, yet produce no additional resistance to flow. Common filters on the market that offer this are Amsoil, Royal Purple, and PureOne's top filter.
Yep, and there's a whole lot more to the story than that too. No matter.

Originally Posted by rjjj629
and the answer is that the K&N has a nut on the end of it that I find really handy

Your mileage may differ
For all the differences there are in any of the (100 + micron) filters being discussed here, the little nut on the top is as good a reason to select one as any. As UnleashedBeast suggested, if you do a bit of googling (Research), particularly with respect to "Nominal" vs "Absolute" filter ratings, you're in for an eye-full. The best you can say for nominally rated paper filters is that they've been doing the trick for decades, which proves only that filter selection just isn't critical in the short run.

"Tuned bypass" !?!

Last edited by HKMark23; 06-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Wix 57148

I get them for 6 bucks each in bulk from fleet sales.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exa...x?PartNo=57148

Old 06-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
The never ending debate (s) .. oil .. oil filters .. tires .. gear or no gear

But
This is a good read

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html
That is no study, it is just some guys opinion.

Don`t trust any of the filter part numbers to be correct, many of the HD callouts are wrong.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-24-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:58 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Would this be a bad time to mention the reusable oil filters?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Would this be a bad time to mention the reusable oil filters?
Does Ohlin's make one of these?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Does anyone remember the oil filter setup that used a roll of toilet paper?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Yeah.Frantz toilet paper oil filter.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I used the Charmin oil filter once, cut it open and it looked pretty shitty inside

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Campy Roadie (06-25-2017), lp (06-25-2017), MotoJockey (06-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Filters