Sponsored by:

Non OEM Harley heated grip install

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Non OEM Harley heated grip install

Well got the Willie G heated grips for Christmas and started looking everything over and making sure I didn't need anything else for the install. I found a video on youtube where a guy installed the OEM grips and everything installs behind the gauges on the RGS which is what I have. In the video pretty much plug and play however he was using the OEM Ultra rubber grips not the one's bought or upgraded from Harley. Well the right side looks simple enough but the left/clutch side I am a little confused. I have my internal wire that should run down inside the bars and plug in behind the gauges however the wire that will run outside the bars is 3 separate wires 1 with a inline fuse. Now this is where I am confused..the directions like most of Harley's directions are pretty worthless specially if you have a 2017. How can I hook these 3 wires up behind the gauge cluster? Is there a plug I can purchase and install these 3 wires? I have read on older models they run the 3 wires down the backbone under the seat..but can't believe these can't be hooked up behind the gauges. Anyone that has installed a set of Non OEM Harley heated grips on a RG would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to the video I was talking about.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree the instructions are terrible. I have oem heated grips on my 2017 SGS and hate to admit it but ended up having the dealer finish the install, the instructions were no help. I got a lot of conflicting opinions but they were for different years and or different models. The extra wire harness is an example, some said you don't need it but the dealer insisted you do and they did use it. I did find 12v sources under the fairing that I could have used but will the wire handle the draw from heated grips, I don't know. I took the safe and easy but not cheap way out.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Yea I hear ya..I have a while before I need them as I won't be riding anytime soon. Can't stand the idea of taking it to the dealer for small upgrades and paying out the *** for it. Going to get my service manual out and see what I can figure out..just hoping to stumble across a member that has done and can share a few tips..

Old 12-27-2016, 04:23 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

I had them installed before I picked up the bike so they'd be covered under the warranty.
The parts guy said I needed and he ordered a wiring harness but, the tech installed the grips without it, said it wasn't needed. Obviously some confusion there.
The bike's a 17 SG.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Yea..I just installed the extra wiring harness for my Corbin heated seat pretty simple install as long as you don't read Harleys directions lol...Didn't really have to have it but it made it easier to tuck the wires under the seat..

Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

for that reason I decided not to have the heated grips installed. didn't like the idea of the left side wiring exposed. It should be internal like the rest of the wires. wasn't crazy about zip ties down the handlebars. i want factory look not afterthought.

If you guys figure out a better way to wire it then let us know. I might reconsider. For now I use heated gear. (gloves and jacket liner) with wireless remote installed inside ipod storage area. works great. pop open the compartment, turn it on, close the lid, then take off. good luck!

Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

I have heated gloves which is really the only part of my body that gets really cold. Even with heated gloves my hands get cold when on the interstate...

Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

I have added the accessory wiring that Harley recommends that comes off the P&A 20 amp breaker I believe. The inline fuse for the accessory wiring is only 10 amp. I have my Corbin seat wired into this with a 7.5 amp inline fuse. Now per Harley's instructions..ok stop laughing....I can wire up to 3 accessories into this. I would like to use this for my heated grips however they have a inline fuse of 4 amps. With the seat and grips that gives me a total of 11.5 amps with a 10 amp max. Anyone have any thoughts? Or where can I get power in the fairing?

Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

There are two extra plugs behind the speedo cover. They snap into the cover,but do not attach to anything. I would think that is where you can get power for the grips from.
I have a set that I have been meaning to install but haven't got around to it. That was the way I was going with it.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CR3999
There are two extra plugs behind the speedo cover. They snap into the cover,but do not attach to anything. I would think that is where you can get power for the grips from.
I have a set that I have been meaning to install but haven't got around to it. That was the way I was going with it.
Yea that is what I have seen and heard even on the video I have posted. However other then the OEM heated grips the Harley ***** G grips has 2 wires coming out of the left/clutch grip. 1 with a plug which I believe would plug in like you suggest then another wire (actually 3 wires shrink wrapped) with open ends. 1 of which is a hot with a inline fuse. I believe these 3 wires go under the tank into the battery area..not sure where they hook up but I believe it would be to the 3 wires that are coming from the accessory wiring kit. Switch/hot/ground. But I am using them now for the electric seat.

Last edited by Ashnic; 12-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Non OEM Harley heated grip install