Sponsored by:

"Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:49 AM
sprintrps
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR

2017 FLHR...Took a test Ride...Traded my 2015 FLHR as this new one is a vast improvement in torque, suspension, etc. At approx 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear there is a cyclical whining noise (seems to be from the rear) that I can't identify. Heading to Dealer for 1K service, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this odd sound.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:01 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Could be the new engine balancer. Been mentioned a few times here.
It's turned by straight cut gears. Kinda sounds like a low speed super charger.

The following users liked this post:
sprintrps (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:23 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

My Riding partner had to have the transmission worked on because his '17 tri was whining from the trans.
Was talking to my bud yesterday about his tri and the whine. The dealer ordered new inner parts for the trans, it seems that the MOCO changed vendors for the transmissions somewhere in mid stream and the Transmissions that were built by it had some inferior parts. Our dealer looked at the Trans numbers and found his Trans was built by the vendor with the funky parts so they replaced the inners of his trans and no more Whine.

Last edited by santajim; 01-02-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:19 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintrps
2017 FLHR...Took a test Ride...Traded my 2015 FLHR as this new one is a vast improvement in torque, suspension, etc. At approx 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear there is a cyclical whining noise (seems to be from the rear) that I can't identify. Heading to Dealer for 1K service, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this odd sound.

I am having the same issue. I'm subscribing to this thread so keep us informed of the dealers findings.

sprintrps (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:57 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I see you moved you post to the M8 forum for more info on the 2017 trans whine.

Last edited by GTK; 08-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

the bike is generally quieter so you here the drive noises moreso..JMO

Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

How tight is your belt? Mine came from the factory over tightened. As to the counter balancer whining, it was a concern for me going in, but its hardly detectable.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-31-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have noticed my 2017 TG has the whining noise also. I t will make the noise if in neutral coasting at slow speeds and I have noticed if you apply the brakes the whine gets a little louder; front seams to make it a little louder than the rear does.

I only hear the whine when slowing down either engine braking or applying the brakes. I have got used to it so I am not too concerned. If someone finds it is a problem or a fix please post it.

Thanks,

Old 12-31-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Whinning

I bought a 2017 Street Glide in September. At about 300 miles I experience a high pitched whine that reminded me of a super charger. I called HD corporate and complained. I was instructed to take it to my dealer to inspect my cam. The dealer told me that the cam had to be removed and if it had a certain number that ended in 2 it needed to be replaced. It did have such a number. Since it was all apart I had the Screaminin Eagle cam, air box and mufflers installed and street tuner. All I had to do was pay for parts since all parts had to be removed to remove the cam. That was 1500 miles ago and no whining noise since. I asked about this noise since then and the dealer said they are aware of the problem, but unless the owner complains there is no recall and won't do anything about the problem. Not all 2017's have this problem, but it was obvious that corporate HD knew about because they gave the dealer explicit repair instruction.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Veteran
I bought a 2017 Street Glide in September. At about 300 miles I experience a high pitched whine that reminded me of a super charger. I called HD corporate and complained. I was instructed to take it to my dealer to inspect my cam. The dealer told me that the cam had to be removed and if it had a certain number that ended in 2 it needed to be replaced. It did have such a number. Since it was all apart I had the Screaminin Eagle cam, air box and mufflers installed and street tuner. All I had to do was pay for parts since all parts had to be removed to remove the cam. That was 1500 miles ago and no whining noise since. I asked about this noise since then and the dealer said they are aware of the problem, but unless the owner complains there is no recall and won't do anything about the problem. Not all 2017's have this problem, but it was obvious that corporate HD knew about because they gave the dealer explicit repair instruction.
It seems like the issues just keep coming out over this "Tested over a million miles" engine. smdh. Why is the MoCo letting this go instead of recalling these issues? I for one am started to believe this engine was a slap together and not in development for years as they claim. I also believe it will be a great engine but will probably take years just like every other HD engine has

psyshack (07-01-2017)

Quick Reply: "Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR