For those of you who went stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 AM
slimatsea
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default For those of you who went stage 2

1. Do you feel it was worth it?

2. If you could do it over would you go stage 3 for a bump in displacement?

3. Did you use the torque or power cam?

4. Harley tuner or aftermarket?

In my own personal opinion Stage 1 isn't worth the $ from a performance perspective. So for me 2 or better is where I'll land. I'm trying to decide if Stage 3 is worth the price premium. I'm not going to poll the stage 3 guys and ask if they're satisfied. After dropping the coin none of them would admit to us that they aren't happy with the purchase. :-)

Last edited by slimatsea; 01-22-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...stage-2-a.html

for starters..a search on this M8 forum will yield more on Stage 1, 2 & 3 comparisons, both HD and aftermarket, good luck

Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM
stevemac03
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went stage 2, horse power cam, the problem I have with a comparison is the upgrade was done before delivery. I did ride a 17 Ultra as a test ride.
I've still not past break in procedures. When I twist thru the gears I feel like I'm being pushed backwards off the bike. I've not been past 3000 rpm and 5th gear first 500 miles and 3500 rpm now.
Once the 1000 mile service and dyno tune is done I'll have a better idea of what the upgrade has done.
I'm coming from a 04 Electra Glide Classic carburetor stock and the difference is a wide gap on performance.

The following 2 users liked this post by stevemac03:
SirWraithe (01-27-2017), slimatsea (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stevemac03
I went stage 2, horse power cam, the problem I have with a comparison is the upgrade was done before delivery. I did ride a 17 Ultra as a test ride.
I've still not past break in procedures. When I twist thru the gears I feel like I'm being pushed backwards off the bike. I've not been past 3000 rpm and 5th gear first 500 miles and 3500 rpm now.
Once the 1000 mile service and dyno tune is done I'll have a better idea of what the upgrade has done.
I'm coming from a 04 Electra Glide Classic carburetor stock and the difference is a wide gap on performance.
curious, did they suggest or do the valve spring upgrade for the Power Cam?

"Designed to support the installation of higher lift cams, these performance springs help maintain the stability of the valve train in high RPM conditions."

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...pring-kit#tabs

The following users liked this post:
Puttnutt24 (10-16-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:47 AM
slimatsea
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mjwebb
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...stage-2-a.html

for starters..a search on this M8 forum will yield more on Stage 1, 2 & 3 comparisons, both HD and aftermarket, good luck
Yeah, I've read every thread on the subject. I wanted to ask these pretty specific questions ONLY of people who have stage 2. But thanks for commenting even though you don't have the upgrade and had nothing of value to add other than suggesting a search.

The following 8 users liked this post by slimatsea:
Eborjas (05-25-2019), JatoTheRipper (09-21-2021), kanelakos (01-19-2020), LonestarRanger (03-12-2020), mikedmeyer (08-18-2021), RazinKane (04-18-2021), TimLScheffer (10-13-2019), UltraWalt (10-19-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM
stevemac03
6th Gear

I did ask what was all needed to be changed going to this level, they said if it was needed, it would be in the upgrade kit, I took their word, I'm new to going inside the engine, I'll know after the fact if their opinions hold up. Once past the 1000 mile service I'll know for sure.

What are the signs of "I should have changed them while they were in there?

Information used correctly is knowledge, knowledge used correctly is wisdom.

"My concern is for the most part is I feel I'm the one doing the diagnosis and telling them what's needed to be changed."

JatoTheRipper (09-21-2021)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:55 AM
slimatsea
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stevemac03
I did ask what was all needed to be changed going to this level, they said if it was needed, it would be in the upgrade kit, I took their word, I'm new to going inside the engine, I'll know after the fact if their opinions hold up. Once past the 1000 mile service I'll know for sure.

What are the signs of "I should have changed them while they were in there?

Information used correctly is knowledge, knowledge used correctly is wisdom.

"My concern is for the most part is I feel I'm the one doing the diagnosis and telling them what's needed to be changed."
You're fine with the factory springs. I think Harley causes cnfusion because they have multiple cams they call the "power" cam. Your kit came with the 462 cam that works with stock springs. The 498 cam is the power cam that comes in the stage 3 kit and requires high lift springs.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by slimatsea
Yeah, I've read every thread on the subject. I wanted to ask these pretty specific questions ONLY of people who have stage 2. But thanks for commenting even though you don't have the upgrade and had nothing of value to add other than suggesting a search.
wow, really, was just trying to help by providing information from people that have done it like you asked and all those questions are addressed in some form or another in the various threads on this topic, as I was considering a Stage 2 and was able to draw conclusions from them on benefits, advantages, disadvantages, and on and on.. maybe you should have started with "I've read thru all the related posts on the topic and haven't gotten the answers I'm looking for"..good luck with your great personality and attitude, you're going to need it

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Super2k (04-14-2020)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 AM
stevemac03
6th Gear

They sure do create incriminating statements by not saying the same thing twice.
They, who ever they is at Moco that makes these decisions, I feel they couldn't get on a bike and start it much less work on it.
Then "we" the owner of the machine are left with the position of correcting their mistakes and "we" know they are extremely slow to change because of their history report of change it's self.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
curious, did they suggest or do the valve spring upgrade for the Power Cam?

"Designed to support the installation of higher lift cams, these performance springs help maintain the stability of the valve train in high RPM conditions."

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...pring-kit#tabs

If you look at the specs on the TQ cam and the HP cam in the 2017 catalog, the exhaust valve has essentially the same lift between the 2 cams.. Seems to me that if the springs were needed, they would state so in the catalog and both cams would need them.

Quick Reply: For those of you who went stage 2