Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 limited electrical problems

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 AM
stevemac03
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 limited electrical problems

My limited has 700 miles now, I'm having electrical problems, battery tender lead doesn't work, power port in fairing and fog lights on engine guard.
Has anyone one else had electrical problems yet?

I've had no other problems with this bike.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM
mstrobes
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 129 Posts

check the fuse

Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,501 Likes on 4,413 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrobes
check the fuse
this, and if that's the case I'd ask myself what caused it to fail and "what's changed" and seeing that you added fog lights would be a good place to start..and of course letting the dealer do the warranty investigation

Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM
stevemac03
6th Gear

I checked the fuses behind the left side cover, all good, I don't have much faith in these little fuses, I pulled the spares and swapped them with the one's that were being used, no change. There are two relays there, don't know how to check them.
There has to be more fuses buried in there somewhere. The battery tender lead doesn't work and the first place the wiring shows it going to the &A relay.
I ordered the electrical diagnosis manual today when we dropped the bike to service, they said it would be Wednesday before they could get to it. The door to the shop was open and that area is full of bikes. It's something small stopping the current to flow.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM
stevemac03
6th Gear

I checked the fuses behind the left side cover, all good, I don't have much faith in these little fuses, I pulled the spares and swapped them with the one's that were being used, no change. There are two relays there, don't know how to check them.
There has to be more fuses buried in there somewhere. The battery tender lead doesn't work and the first place the wiring shows it going to the P&A relay.
I ordered the electrical diagnosis manual today when we dropped the bike to service, they said it would be Wednesday before they could get to it. The door to the shop was open and that area is full of bikes. It's something small stopping the current to flow.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Take it to the dealership and use your warranty.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM
stevemac03
6th Gear

When I picked the bike up with 11 miles on it, my sales guy was talking me thru the basic information, the service manager walked up and joined in, just before I left out, I turned to both of them and said this, "I went ahead and got the extended warranty now because HD made this bike and they are going to live with this bike for the next 7 years and I'll sign them up again for the next few years after that, it's all on them."
Time will tell.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 AM
stevemac03
6th Gear

P&A fuse blown.
Unable to determine what caused fuse to blow.
It's a 20A fuse. I thought I checked the fuses? I was upset at the time, I need to breathe before doing things.
All well for now, time will tell.
Confidence is fading in service department. Asked to check front of engine for oil leaks, wasn't on work order when going over list. Took paper towel and wiped oil off the front of the engine, handed him the towel.
The saddle bag lights not installed (again), tour pak light installed, no switch, the three are a set of lights. I don't know where or how they should be turned on, these lights are stock on my Uncle's Indian.

Brake light flashing module installed, working fine.

Heated gear wiring connected to battery, routed both cables to center of the seat, asked for shorter lead to be at front of the seat by gas tank for me, longer cable for passenger, I can do these thing's, I had them and other things added to be covered under the 2 year warranty and the extended warranty.
Bike had 162 miles fuel range when left, 60 miles when picked up, drove 3 miles not the 10 mile safety test ride that they say it's done before letting it be returned to customer. Service closed on Sunday and Monday. I really wish I lived closer to Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville Tn. Open 7 days a week, has several locations, they are very customer support oriented. I've had two problems in that area on the 04 Electra Glide Classic, went the extra mile both times. They have a restaurant and the only thing they need is gas! Why they don't know.
I'll be calling Tuesday morning at 09:00 and asking questions.

​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​

Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Sounds like a fuse. But 700 miles warranty . 1 call to dealer .
Now you were in there doing some work retrace your steps carefully

Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Tour pak and saddlebag lights have the switch built into each light, very difficult to use. The saddlebag light now require drilling holes in tour pak. Took em off my 14 and probably wont put them on the 2017. Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 limited electrical problems