Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 gains. Bang for the buck isn't what it used to be.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
My suggestion is run stock for now <snip> In a few years <snip> include performance improvements using what then be more mature aftermarket components. The bang for the buck will be better by then and you won't be in a continuous state of rebuild like some are now.
This is exactly how I feel right now. The bike runs great, feels great, sounds good, and really doesn't "need" any performance upgrades. Especially when considering the minimal returns on investment. I would like a smidge more volume out of the exhaust, but even that seems like waste of money at times.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:49 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,518 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I don't think I've ever seen any HD literature stating that X performance exhaust does not require ECM calibration. HD has always stated that any changes in either intake or exhaust required ECM calibration.

If you already have 1000 bucks into a tuner and pipes it's different that you wouldn't put an intake on it. They are only a few bucks more and you get a wee bit of upper performance and better filter media; however, I get it. Your bike, your deal. Not judging. But hell I would.
no, Harley has always stated in the 'Features' tab whether or not ECM is required on their performance parts. This is the first time ever it states 'YES' for just their slip-ons

as far as the intake, I've explained my position on this several times in other posts, nothing to do with the extra few $, and the calibration with the stock intake still shifts the upper rpm range a bit higher...not a K&N fan and it's all they offer..I've always opted for the synthetic media air cleaners on my past performance upgrades..but the stock intake on the M8 provides enough air for slip-ons and Stage 1 ECM recalibration..and flat out offers better protection and filtration and is quieter..things that are more important to me at this 'Stage' in my riding life

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-26-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne06
I feel the same way. I used to immediately change to slip ons, tuner, air cleaner...the usual routine, as soon as I got the bike. This is the first time I haven't had a desire to do so. The OEM pipes sound pretty good, and my bike runs great as is! If I ever decide to change to slip ons, it will be just for looks. Don't think I would even do an air cleaner change or tuner even if I did put on Street Cannons.
Heck, I have two sets of Street Cannons in my garage now (one black, one chrome) from my last Ultra Limited that I can't use on the 17.
I am feeling the same way about the 2017 I am picking up today. I went stage one with every other HD I have purchased right away. Going by what I have read, people I have talked to and my limited time on test rides with the M8 I am for the first time not really thinking about pipes, AC/tuner. After I have some time on the bike perhaps that opinion will change but for now it will stay stock which is a change for me

Old 01-27-2017, 05:57 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
no, Harley has always stated in the 'Features' tab whether or not ECM is required on their performance parts. This is the first time ever it states 'YES' for just their slip-ons

as far as the intake, I've explained my position on this several times in other posts, nothing to do with the extra few $, and the calibration with the stock intake still shifts the upper rpm range a bit higher...not a K&N fan and it's all they offer..I've always opted for the synthetic media air cleaners on my past performance upgrades..but the stock intake on the M8 provides enough air for slip-ons and Stage 1 ECM recalibration..and flat out offers better protection and filtration and is quieter..things that are more important to me at this 'Stage' in my riding life
Oh I see, on the"website". Yeah it looks that way; I should have said Race only applications - true high flow exhaust. Any "real" HF exhaust typically does require calibration. I guess the street cannons are either at that level or maybe it's a result of the MY17 EPA deal that any changes must be...yadda, yadda. Doesn't matter.

As far as stock filter media. Sorry, I don't read all your posts. I too use stock because it's good enough. Keep an eye on that filter though as it will eventually swell and don't clean it with any chemicals or it will swell immediately blocking flow. Roger on the K&N and intake noise. I gave those up awhile back as well. If you don't spend a ton of time above 4K there is really no need.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:45 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
As far as stock filter media. Sorry, I don't read all your posts. I too use stock because it's good enough. Keep an eye on that filter though as it will eventually swell and don't clean it with any chemicals or it will swell immediately blocking flow. Roger on the K&N and intake noise. I gave those up awhile back as well. If you don't spend a ton of time above 4K there is really no need.
"Sorry, I don't read all your posts."

oh man, you've missed out on some epic farble garble! LOL

"Keep an eye on that filter though as it will eventually swell and don't clean it with any chemicals or it will swell immediately blocking flow. If you don't spend a ton of time above 4K there is really no need."

have half dozen or so air filters on hand for both mine and my wife's M8. plan on changing them out regularly, at least every oil change or based on circumstances and only clean with mild dish washing detergent..at $20 a pop I'm not concerned with having to toss em' after a few cleaning cycles if I have to. I do spend a fair amount of time between 4-5K rpm's and it hauls **** up there no prob! if you think about it, Harley engineers didn't design, develop and test the intake to just barely provide enough air flow for a clean filter only...basically stock engines don't need more than what they provided us with

Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

"Sorry, I don't read all your posts."

oh man, you've missed out on some epic farble garble! LOL
Ha! I have read a few. Good stuff.

I do spend a fair amount of time between 4-5K rpm's and it hauls **** up there no prob! if you think about it, Harley engineers didn't design, develop and test the intake to just barely provide enough air flow for a clean filter only...basically stock engines don't need more than what they provided us with
I had this huge reply kinda countering this opinion but the forum ate it.

Bottom line, I don't think HD designed the stock filter as a performance filter, it's not bad though, and I think if you really like the feel of those higher RPMs you would be a great candidate for having a truly high flow intake system of some sort to complement what you've already modded. You'd probably feel the difference and actually use it. I think the M8 is much more capable than what the stock system allows. Because you know HD... they aren't going to put everything on the table first time. They either leave performance out due to restrictions (noise, AFR, EPA) or because they simply want you to buy stuff. I dunno, just an opinion. The topic of what HD engineers do an why could fill pages. They do things for a reason and we hope they are giving us exactly what we need in good faith, but maybe, maybe the stock system could use more. Kinda like the reasoning you like that oil cooler fan. I personally don't think its needed because HD engineers didn't put it on the stock bike. However some think it's a must include item and HD should have made it stock. Who knows. Maybe HD does.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I hear ya' and totally get it. (I've had many Harleys and they all had the SE intakes) and I've had this discussion with our dealership service techs, the same guys that were part of a national championship crew for Harley's top fuel drag bike...just think there's a general consensus, perception out there that this stock intake is woefully inadequate so thousands of folks spend hundreds of $ to buy a SE intake that is what is used for even their Stage 4 performance kits..one could reasonably surmise that same intake is way overkill for just adding slip-ons and recalibration..comes down to what's good enough is good enough I guess..the ever so slight gain isn't enough to offset the extra annoying noise and poorer protection for me...agree the fan assist isn't necessary for perhaps the majority of applications..but cooler oil temps running conventional oil for me seems wise with the heads heating up that oil now..millions of us Harley owners doing all kinds of different things..heck I may very well be completely wrong on all my OCD logic here

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-27-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:58 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Certainly there is no reason NOT to use synthetics in this engine...considering the heat over the head.
All it takes is 1 time overheating Dino oil and you are running crap oil until you change it again.
That said, synthetic will also fail (at higher temps) but IMO, the additional heat protection insurance is worth the diff in costs.
Bob

Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Certainly there is no reason NOT to use synthetics in this engine...considering the heat over the head.
All it takes is 1 time overheating Dino oil and you are running crap oil until you change it again.
That said, synthetic will also fail (at higher temps) but IMO, the additional heat protection insurance is worth the diff in costs.
Bob
yeah, synthetics have their advantages without a doubt..but I'd want to run it 5000 miles for the extra $ and prefer to change oil every 3-4K or even sooner in the Winter and keep it fresher, and with the up to 50 degree oil temp reductions the fan assisted oil cooler provides I think I'll be fine..if it proves otherwise I won't hesitate to switch

Old 01-27-2017, 08:38 PM
MysticPurple
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

could have sworn the street cannons info in catalog said no re-cal needed, wonder if they changed that or if I'm just getting old or saw that somewhere else. Double checked and it does say to re-cal. or they changed it to get more money outta your pocket?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 gains. Bang for the buck isn't what it used to be.