Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm hopefully headed down to La. sometime in the next few weeks. Son lives in Breaux Bridge between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. He has a 17 SGS now. Actually some good riding down there if you know someone that knows the roads. I was completely lost the entire time down there lol. 2 years ago somewhere down on the coast.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

This thread I have watched since day one of post.. I have friends that are very close to decision makers at HD and have given me info as info was coming in from HD on things I question then on concerning warranty. There was small confusion on slip-ons early on which was a gray to red area.. now slip-ons can be used, but never has there been a relief of head pipe (none cat) or tuner.. tuner such as power commander does have a box to check, but that has not been fool proof if they really want to see they can, by process of elimination (downloads).

I do feel the Dealer messed up by tearing the bike down, without first doing their best to protect the customer (if worthy of protection). I do know going into 2017 bikes that HD was tired of these dealers giving deals that other dealers could not match. HD was aware of the problem and they were cracking down on these wary dealers.

I also feel the OP was going into this bike with the attitude I will do what I want, F HD and they will just shut the F up and fix my ****.. that came to a reality check and lost.. now his vin# is tagged in HD's system and it is never coming out. Something to consider when purchasing a 2017 and up bike, to ask the dealer if it's been warranty flagged, and then a private sale still under said warranty may not be true at all.

Personally I feel bad for the dealer for being so brazen to think there dealer # is above reproach w HD. The OP took advantage of their ignorance and made them fork the bill, at the very least w the OP attitude going into the purchase of a 2017 he should have volunteered to pay 50/50 .. both knew better and the dealer lost more, money and credibility w HD. HD made it very clear to all dealers in AUG. NO Tuner or warranty is red flagged and tagged.

Last edited by Ultra61; 04-30-2017 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (05-02-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
This thread I have watched since day one of post.. I have friends that are very close to decision makers at HD and have given me info as info was coming in from HD on things I question then on concerning warranty. There was small confusion on slip-ons early on which was a gray to red area.. now slip-ons can be used, but never has there been a relief of head pipe (none cat) or tuner.. tuner such as power commander does have a box to check, but that has not been fool proof if they really want to see they can, by process of elimination (downloads).

I do feel the Dealer messed up by tearing the bike down, without first doing their best to protect the customer (if worthy of protection). I do know going into 2017 bikes that HD was tired of these dealers giving deals that other dealers could not match. HD was aware of the problem and they were cracking down on these wary dealers.

I also feel the OP was going into this bike with the attitude I will do what I want, F HD and they will just shut the F up and fix my ****.. that came to a reality check and lost.. now his vin# is tagged in HD's system and it is never coming out. Something to consider when purchasing a 2017 and up bike, to ask the dealer if it's been warranty flagged, and then a private sale still under said warranty may not be true at all.

Personally I feel bad for the dealer for being so brazen to think there dealer # is above reproach w HD. The OP took advantage of their ignorance and made them fork the bill, at the very least w the OP attitude going into the purchase of a 2017 he should have volunteered to pay 50/50 .. both knew better and the dealer lost more, money and credibility w HD. HD made it very clear to all dealers in AUG. NO Tuner or warranty is red flagged and tagged.

That's pretty brass'y to be so bold without knowing the ENTIRE story, which none of us will really know. That's the story from beginning to end of the charges to the settlement.

As for the dealers and HD warranty, actually any warranty, Past years there has ALWAYS been nomenclature in EVERY HD warranty that gives HD the Corp, the ability to Void Warranty for just about ANY reason. In the past it's RARELY been exercised. Now? you expect because at a dealer meeting they give yet again a very common speech, it's to be taken more serious? Trust me, not all dealers fully got it. And if HD really wanted to paint something so Black and White, why not put a red tag/insert in the warranty book, no different than my Maytag washer came with, that specify changes to the warranty from previous years. If not for the dealers, for the customers that have been buying for years, changing tuners and headpipes and didn't get it either. Especially a change that would impact the customer vastly on a 20K? to 45k+ motorcycle!

Don't be so quick to judge. There is a lot more to this story than what your friends have told you..

Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead59

Don't be so quick to judge. There is a lot more to this story than what your friends have told you..
Well spell it out.. I'd be interested.. I'm sure others would too..

Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

As for the dealers and HD warranty, actually any warranty, Past years there has ALWAYS been nomenclature in EVERY HD warranty that gives HD the Corp, the ability to Void Warranty for just about ANY reason. In the past it's RARELY been exercised. Now? you expect because at a dealer meeting they give yet again a very common speech, it's to be taken more serious? Trust me, not all dealers fully got it.
So because the dealer has been told this before they shouldn't take it seriously? I mean why should harley have to play by the same rules as every other manufacturer. You can't be serious.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

That's pretty brass'y to be so bold without knowing the ENTIRE story, which none of us will really know. That's the story from beginning to end of the charges to the settlement.

Now? you expect because at a dealer meeting they give yet again a very common speech, it's to be taken more serious? Trust me, not all dealers fully got it. And if HD really wanted to paint something so Black and White, why not put a red tag/insert in the warranty book,

Especially a change that would impact the customer vastly on a 20K? to 45k+ motorcycle!

Thread started Jan. 30th, it's April 30th, my first post on this thread.. no quick to Judge here. It's ok to disagree w me it was stated as I think or IMO.. why are you yelling?

This had to be far from a common speech (crystal clear is what was relayed to me).. They (HD) just had there asses handed to them by the EPA w fines.. You would of had to not give a **** about HD to ignore it.. especially a Dealer.

I agree there should be a Black and white, red flag, whatever in the warranty book, I know Honda say's you put a chip on our/now your bike warranty is gone.. but is that clear in the warranty? or just verbal?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Hammerhead59
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra61
Thread started Jan. 30th, it's April 30th, my first post on this thread.. no quick to Judge here. It's ok to disagree w me it was stated as I think or IMO.. why are you yelling?

This had to be far from a common speech (crystal clear is what was relayed to me).. They (HD) just had there asses handed to them by the EPA w fines.. You would of had to not give a **** about HD to ignore it.. especially a Dealer.

I agree there should be a Black and white, red flag, whatever in the warranty book, I know Honda say's you put a chip on our/now your bike warranty is gone.. but is that clear in the warranty? or just verbal?
Bottom line is there are people today buying 2017 HD's that have no idea of what happen.. that HDforums exist... or even check the web for information. They just know the warranty literature looks no different from the previous bike they bought. Look at the 2014 book and look at the 2017 book. There is NOTHING that sticks out obvious as different. This is on HD. Not the dealers. HD is the Corporation.

Maytag doesn't rely on Bestbuy to get their information across. They put it on the machine (attached sticker) and it's on a warranty card that is outside the 50 page booklet. Why, because it's a critical change to previous policy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti HD. I wouldn't own another brand of bike. But that doesn't take clear blame off of them. They didn't and still aren't making this warranty issue transparent. It's grey. same color as last year which is my point and case.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Hammerhead. Nothing has changed since 2014. It was just as illegal in 2014 as it is now. The difference is Harley is now enforcing it.

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (05-02-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Well, the MoCo could add one more line to the existing warranty...

"And THIS time we REALLY REALLY mean it!"

Old 04-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Bottom line is there are people today buying 2017 HD's that have no idea of what happen.. that HDforums exist... or even check the web for information. They just know the warranty literature looks no different from the previous bike they bought. Look at the 2014 book and look at the 2017 book. There is NOTHING that sticks out obvious as different. This is on HD. Not the dealers. HD is the Corporation.

Maytag doesn't rely on Bestbuy to get their information across. They put it on the machine (attached sticker) and it's on a warranty card that is outside the 50 page booklet. Why, because it's a critical change to previous policy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti HD. I wouldn't own another brand of bike. But that doesn't take clear blame off of them. They didn't and still aren't making this warranty issue transparent. It's grey. same color as last year which is my point and case.
95% (educated guess) of the people buying HD go back to the dealer while under warranty. 3% likely go to their indy. 2% think that they are smart enough to do it themselves. Numbers change when warranty period ends.

Only possible effected are 5%.. Provide you own estimates if you like..

Now for the 2%, it seems to me that they should be aware what the limitations are.. If forums help.. good.

We've all been having to worry about emissions stuff since the 80's. How many put a tuner in their car/truck now? Government has been clamping down on it for awhile..

Hd needed to draw the line somewhere. They had too. US government is still bigger then HD. Anyone aware of the Epa settlement should be aware that there was a line drawn. Yeah sure, the text about warranty exclusions have been in the owners manual for a while.

Maybe HD should have added free warranty information tattoos on the forehead (in reverse) for those needing confirmation. IIRC the place I bough my bike has a Tattoo Parlor..

It's all about being informed..

Quick Reply: M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter