Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Did you know? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1156548-did-you-know.html)

Larry Davis 01-31-2017 07:55 AM

Did you know?

Most of you probably are/were already aware of this, but just in case some of you are like me and did not know ........

First time in my life on a recent ride a rock or something hit the headlight of my 2017 Ultra Limited. Just like hitting your car windshield you could clearly see the point of impact which caused two large cracks to form. The Daymaker headlight functioned fine and I did not notice it until I took it into my dealer for 5,000 mile service. That's when I find out it is a one piece, sealed unit. Just can't replace the lens. Since the 2017s came out Harley now offers an upgraded Daymaker headlight. Old model $524. Upgraded model $574. Dealer only had upgraded model in stock, so I had them install that one. With tax and installation that ran the cost up to about $675! Progressive, being a smart insurance company, only reimburses me for what the old model cost. Cee Bailey's got a protective lens designed to fit the Daymaker and prevent this kind of damage. For $30 I think I'm going to order one!

Now, I've got a 2017 Daymaker headlight with 5000 miles on it with two cracks in the glass lens, but works just fine. Any offers????

scorpion6 01-31-2017 08:08 AM

What is the difference between the two headlights? Have you ridden in the dark with the headlight to see if there is a noticeable difference/improvement?

SWThomas 01-31-2017 08:12 AM

Doesn't surprise me. That's exactly why I try to keep my distance behind cars on the road. Imagine if that rock had hit you in the face.

bradn 01-31-2017 09:32 AM

On my 2017 RGU, there is a protective lens over the headlights that can be replaced without having to replace the headlights. I'm really glad too, because those dual LED's are $900.

Larry Davis 01-31-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by bradn (Post 15888972)
On my 2017 RGU, there is a protective lens over the headlights that can be replaced without having to replace the headlights. I'm really glad too, because those dual LED's are $900.

Did you install those protective lenses? If so, where did you get them. I am looking at some product from Cee Bailey's.

bradn 01-31-2017 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Davis (Post 15890108)
Did you install those protective lenses? If so, where did you get them. I am looking at some product from Cee Bailey's.

I actually called the HD service guys after reading this post to get confirmation, and they told me there is a stock removable cover over the headlights on my '17 RGU. They have my bike, so my comments are based on what they told me.

riknbeth 02-01-2017 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Davis (Post 15888638)
Most of you probably are/were already aware of this, but just in case some of you are like me and did not know ........

First time in my life on a recent ride a rock or something hit the headlight of my 2017 Ultra Limited. Just like hitting your car windshield you could clearly see the point of impact which caused two large cracks to form. The Daymaker headlight functioned fine and I did not notice it until I took it into my dealer for 5,000 mile service. That's when I find out it is a one piece, sealed unit. Just can't replace the lens. Since the 2017s came out Harley now offers an upgraded Daymaker headlight. Old model $524. Upgraded model $574. Dealer only had upgraded model in stock, so I had them install that one. With tax and installation that ran the cost up to about $675! Progressive, being a smart insurance company, only reimburses me for what the old model cost. Cee Bailey's got a protective lens designed to fit the Daymaker and prevent this kind of damage. For $30 I think I'm going to order one!

Now, I've got a 2017 Daymaker headlight with 5000 miles on it with two cracks in the glass lens, but works just fine. Any offers????

I will have to ask my service manager about this. But would not be a surprise, costs about $200 to manufacture, another way for HD to make money. Smart for them, shitty for us.