Sponsored by:

Tpms with no gts radio but Dakota dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 05:11 AM
gros21
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tpms with no gts radio but Dakota dash

Well Im running a Sony radio on my 18 road glide special, I've ordered a Dakota 8414 dash which will display tyre pressure and I presume show warnings if it runs low.

Is it as simple as running tpms and programming them. Can I program it myself?

32700096 would be the tpms part number but I'll need to check my talon rims valve size and might need to run adaptors or similar.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:25 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 670 Posts

You should have the right BCM (#41000341x) in your bike that is TPMS capable, so get the sensors in the tires, and hardware wise you're there... But what I don't know is how it interacts with your hardware. My thoughts are either you'll have to get a dealer to do the computer stuff (DigitalTech), or to do it yourself you'll need the software/cables like Diag4Bike. This is to enable TPMS in the BCM, pair the new sensors, and enable Instruments TPMS Options to gauges... if you had a Boom stereo, you'd enable TPMS under Radio Customizations to get that screen on the radio.

I don't see any reason it won't work with your setup (you're not going to get it on the radio obviously), your gauges are made to get the signal from the HD system so I think you'll be good to go... although I don't remember hearing about someone doing it with your setup. But if you had a bike with TPMS, and just switched your gauges to Dakota's you probably ain't talking about the TPMS lol

There's a thread thats been going for 2-3 years where the guys originally figured all this out, I assume you've probably seen it. I had watched that thread during that time, but just recently did this to my2016 RGU & posted in that thread my experience with doing it.

The wheels always seem to be the one thing that causes people the most anxiety... is the hole going to be 8.3mm or 11.4mm??? I mean that 1/8" can be worrisome lol
My wheels were stock Impellers (just chromed) with the 11.4mm so I had to do bushing or "adapter" thing because all of HD's valve stems that I have seen are for 8.3mm holes. I think with the adapter the way I had to do it, it actually seals better because instead of just having the o-ring on the outside of the rim (which is all HD's has), I have an additional seal on the inside too because of the "adapter"... but anyways, once mounted its solid as a rock. Had them on for a couple months now and I have had to add air only once so far, and that was because the morning temps ares now in the 50's instead of the 70's each day.
Here's that thread in case it'll help and starting at Post 159 I took pictures of using the adapter/bushing with the 11.4mm hole and the HD sensors. Just be sure whatever sensor you use (HD has several different styles) will suck down tight on the front without the sides of the groove it sits in while snugging it down. There's lots of room on the back.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-16.html

EDIT: here's what I mean about the sensor and the from rim...
If you see my pics in that post, on the front rim there's a groove the sensor sit in/near. Would you be able to screw this sensor in without hitting the sides as you tightened it down? I haven't used this style, so that would be my only question. Because you hold the stem still and screw on the sensor it looks like, and I don't know how far down the sensor needs to go. May be fine, but its the only thing I see that I'd want to check out first.

This is the style I used, the sensor slide down on the stem's post, then you tighten the breather bolt down.

then there's this style, which is a slight change up from what I used, and I think are the newest style.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-07-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:43 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

You do not need a dealer to set up the Senors. Any good indy with Centurion technorearch can do it or you can do it your self if you have one.
The big question will be the sony.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Centurion TechnoResearch I don't think can do the stereo part... Radio Customizations/Enable TPMS to the stereo where you get the screen on your radio, it can do the rest though. I had it, and tried like hell to get instructions on that one part from them and couldn't get any good info from them on that very specific thing. If you know of a way that it does it, please share! cause my brother has it now lol and I'll share with him. It could be part of a process that it does when you enable something else (like enabling TPMS in gauge cluster) and it also enables it to the radio, but I couldn't find anything in their "instruction" or from calling and talking to them. This one thing with their software stumped me, couldn't figure out how you'd be able to do everything else, TPMS wise, but not that one part??? Always figured there was an answer, just could never get it lol

In this situation, I don't think there is anyway in the world he'll ever get that screen on the Sony, but that would be cool... the Sony would have to have been designed to receive/intercept that signal/data from the bike and then know what to do with it. So the Centurion TechnoResearch software/cables would be great too for this install.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-07-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:56 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

On your gauges, I was checking out Dakota Digitals gauges, I'm not sure you'll get a "warning" light so to speak for a low tire. But you should get I would think the pressure reading. The only reason I say that about a low tire warning light, it is not mentioned on their site with the others under "Indicators" (Turn Signals, High Beam, Cruise Control on/engaged, Check Engine, Security, ABS with Reverse and Parking Brake available for Tri-Glide) but not low tire pressure indicator... but its just a guess, might want to ask them.
On my HD gauges, LCD at the bottom of the Speedo it will display the tire's pressures there, and if the tires are too low or too high it will show LO or HI instead, on the corresponding location. I think thats what you're gonna get on your Dakota's. Which for me, I would be fine with.... just give me a number lol I'd check with them to verify for sure so you know what to expect exactly.

Even on the HD gauges that display doesn't "automatically" change to that screen when/if the condition happens, only if I happen to have it on that screen at the time (its the one where you can toggle thru Trip A, Trip B, Fuel Range, Front Tire, Rear Tire). But the indicator light (Low Tire dummy light) on the Tach lights up, and a warning screen kicks up on the radio for a low tire, supposedly, but I haven't had a low tire yet while riding to actually see them.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-07-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:48 PM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,262 Likes on 433 Posts

If I had a 2019 or newer Electra Glide Standard without a radio I would still be able to add the TPMS and see it rolling through the odometer displays?

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

First thing... I don't know "For Sure", I just hadn't seen it done yet, but...
Didn't the Standard start back up in 2020? I think it did.
But I believe they're using the same BCM (#41000341x) as the rest of the touring models... and the current replacement part number for a 2020 Standard's BCM is showing 41000341F. So TPMS could be enabled in that BCM. Btw, I think this BCM, HD# 41000341x, has been in all the touring models since 2017. The first model it was used in, that i've seen, originally was in 2015 or 2016 CVO's with factory TPMS. The rest of the touring models had a different BCM, but in 2017 they were all using this same 41000341x BCM. Apparently with some "feature" disabled lol The first year it was just #41000341, now its up to "F" on the end, the one I just put in my 2016 RGU a couple months ago is 41000341F.

Then it would depend on the gauge cluster they used in them... just curious do their gauges have the Low Tire indicator on the Tach on the 2020's gauges in them?
Might be a hint right there.
I know on other 2019's touring bikes gauges (Non CVO's) that guys have added TPMS to, some of them had to have the gauge's firmware updated to get that readout on those speedometer. On previous year models 2014-2018 you're not going to get the readout on the stock Non CVO gauges.

Then there's the valve stem hole issue to be dealt with depending on if its 8.3mm or 11.4mm, but its not that big of a deal.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-07-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Goose_NC (10-07-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Centurion TechnoResearch I don't think can do the stereo part... Radio Customizations/Enable TPMS to the stereo where you get the screen on your radio, it can do the rest though.
yes, the centurion will. i did it on my 2019. there are 2 options under bcm enable, tpms. the radio display and the gauge display. unfortunately, i've got to see if i can get the dealer to update the firmware on the gauges cause i don't have that part functioning. just the radio portion.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member

Skratch, Ultra 99 talked about this spring having his gauges "updated" on his 2019, in the original post about TPMS that was started about 3 years ago by the guys originally figuring this TPMS stuff out.
You probably have seen it, but just in case you hadn't...
Post 147 of this thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...1-tpms-15.html

Old 10-09-2021, 08:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

thanks. i had seen that. but i live about 50 miles from my nearest dealer so i don't make it by there often. one of these days, i'm going to try to make it over there and see if they can hook me up. hopefully, it isn't gonna be one of those, '1/2 hr minimum labor' jobs.

Ssitruc (10-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Tpms with no gts radio but Dakota dash