Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Rented M8 Road Glide 340 mile review.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

I got a new loaner SG while my RK was being serviced. Put a little over 400 miles on it in a day and 1/2.. It had 1900 miles on it when I got it.. The clutch worked much better than the clutch in on my 17 RK. When I got the RK back the operated the same as the SG as far as the friction zone goes. Before it would grab and jump if you changed the throttle while in the friction zone. They used Syn 3 in all holes.. I suspect that oil type might have helped.. Clutches on both bikes still clunk on lower gears.. The nice thing is that there is no compensator rattle like on the 6 speed TCs.. I wonder if the new comp will fit the TCs..

Handling and suspension are great.. It can get a little flexy if you push it hard enough.. As stated the front is a little stiff. For me the rears have damping quality same or slightly better than Works but not as plush in sharp bumps as Ohlins. I wonder how the fronts will do with lighter Oil and possibly springs.. I like the stock tires.. Yeah I know HD fixed the tires in 09..

For guy that like to keep the RPMs low the power is real good on the stock M8.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Unless a magic happens in the next 2k miles or so the rear shocks will have to go for sure. The clutch is fine.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Unless a magic happens in the next 2k miles or so the rear shocks will have to go for sure. The clutch is fine.
How much do you weigh?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
the RGS and SGS only have 2" of rear travel and the other Touring bikes have 3"..you'd be surprised what a difference an extra inch makes..at least that's what my wife tells me when we're 'two up'...whatever the hell that means..LOL
I definitely agree the "RG/SG special" shocks, which are 1" shorter than the regular 13" shocks are nothing I would attempt to ride for more than 50 miles at a time due to the harsh ride from reduced suspension travel.
The Specials work so much better with std length 13" shocks (air or coil-over) it's not even comparable...especially when riding a passenger and/or loaded for travel.
Bob

Old 04-30-2017, 12:55 AM
cponline
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch feedback

Originally Posted by Dale Cummings
I also noticed some kind of feedback sound(thunk) and feel in the clutch whenever you shift. Annoying yes, but I guess you could get used to it.
I rode 3 RGS before I bought mine today. One had that transmission clunk and feed back into the clutch lever, but only on the downshift. The other two had nil. They clicked when downshifting and almost nil feedback to the clutch. I talked to the service manage and a tech about it. They acknowledge they too noticed it on bike number one, but since it was within specs they said there was little to do about it. Harley assured them that it's not a defect and it will smooth out with usage.

Mine is smooth as butter on the upshift, but it too has a just a click on the downshift. No feedback in the clutch.

I don't care for amount of effort needed to hold the clutch full in. My solution was to just pull it enough to disengage and hold it their. Then it's not so bad.

I think the handling is great. I find low speed maneuvering even easier than the Super Glide I traded in.