Sponsored by:

2 Weeks In with New 2017 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2 Weeks In with New 2017 Road King

Weather has been hit or miss, and work has been hectic, so I've only accumulated 200 miles. But, here are my thoughts on my first touring bike -

- Bike is HEAVY! Last Harley was a 2001 Fat Boy, but spent the last 4 months riding a 300 lb dual sport. Hard transition into a 800+ lb cycle. It's the slow maneuvering that's tricky.

- Stock seat and bars cause me pain. I'm sitting too far forward with the seat, so I'll switch to a solo fairly soon. Opting for Mustang Wide Tripper or the Harley Touring Solo. Bars have an odd wrist angle that has my left wrist hurting a good bit. It'll be a while before I pony up the dough for new bars, so I may adjust them some to see if it provides relief.

- Although I haven't had the bike above 3500 rpm, yet, the new motor does feel strong. My Fat Boy had a 95" setup with high flow heads and high compression pistons, and the M8 definitely feels stronger down low.

- Suspension is too firm. I've adjusted the shock to the softest setting, but it still feel extremely rough, especially since all I've read claims that the Road Kings ride like a Cadillac. My Fat Boy was a much more plush ride. Having said that, though, the handling is surprisingly nimble for a large bike.

- Loving the bags. Plenty of room for miscellaneous stuff I would ever need to carry. It'll be nice once the weather warms in the afternoon and cold weather gear isn't needed.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

You sound unhappy with your purchase. Did you actually test ride some before making your decision or just read others reviews?

It is a nice bike, congratulations. I hope long term you enjoy it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
jamala00 (06-01-2017), RATFINK53 (06-25-2017), Wmoor004 (06-01-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

"The bike is HEAVY" - OMG - you're riding it, not bench pressing it....

The following 5 users liked this post by JMC22:
Johnny Goodlife (01-01-2018), shorelasHD (02-04-2017), Tony P (02-17-2017), vaham (02-04-2017), Wmoor004 (06-01-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I saw in the recent past that you had some foul weather but shortly it will improve. Went through Monroe last year and visit fairly often as my sister livers there.

You have a fine machine and will grow into it soon. The Fat Boy is a smoother more comfortable ride but with the changes you are going to make you will come close.

Just like the motor the suspension has resistance to movement which like the engine loosening up the suspension will also.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,282 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Have you thought of loosening the handlebars clamp and adjust the bars and controls to you. The bikes are built to a generic fit. Your dealer should have spent more time with you in fitting your bike to you. Maybe if you take a trip back to the dealer and express your concerns about your fitment I'm sure they would help you out. I don't have a Road King but I know of several people that went from a R/K to another touring bike and back to a R/K. They're not called King of the Road for nothing.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Gibler77
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

These are just initial impressions. Even if I wanted to praise every aspect of the bike, I wouldn't with having only ridden it 200 miles. I'm expecting the bike to break in and loosen up over the next few hundred miles, and I'll have a more objective opinion of it then.

I did test ride the Road King, and I thought he same thing about the suspension being stiff, but I figured I could adjust it accordingly. Perhaps my Fat Boy was just set way too soft, and I had an unrealistic idea of what the Road King should be.

I'll tinker with the positioning of the bars and controls to see if it eases the wrist discomfort.

I'm also pretty sure some of the weight issue will be resolved once I have a lower and narrower seat. Most likely, I'm just sitting up to high and my legs are too far apart.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no way an RK rides like a Cadillac with the same 3" of suspension travel the Harley touring bikes have.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Well I did the RK also but I came into this from a 36 year love affair with a shovelhead, wanna talk about feeling like a duck outa water. Yes the bikes heavy, 200lbs over what I'm used to but I've also discovered the bike is actually very nimble once you get past the weird new feeling and extra weight and no questions it will be every bit the canyon runner I like once I've gotten more confident on the thing and used to it's handling characteristics. Think the new is making you just as tentative as me right now, that will change will saddle time.

Can't see where you think it's hard riding , I've hit potholes that would have put my shovel sideways and the RK just rode over them without the usual back jarring and clenched teeth. I love the suspension on this thing.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 PM
jai yen yen
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibler77
These are just initial impressions. Even if I wanted to praise every aspect of the bike, I wouldn't with having only ridden it 200 miles. I'm expecting the bike to break in and loosen up over the next few hundred miles, and I'll have a more objective opinion of it then.

I did test ride the Road King, and I thought he same thing about the suspension being stiff, but I figured I could adjust it accordingly. Perhaps my Fat Boy was just set way too soft, and I had an unrealistic idea of what the Road King should be.

I'll tinker with the positioning of the bars and controls to see if it eases the wrist discomfort.

I'm also pretty sure some of the weight issue will be resolved once I have a lower and narrower seat. Most likely, I'm just sitting up to high and my legs are too far apart.
Most of us change the bars and seat right away, stock does not work for most. The newer bikes 09 and up do ride harder and so a shock upgrade may be necessary as well. You will get used to the weight, it is all about balance and planning your stops and turns. Always back into a parking spot. Once you get it set up you will love it, takes a little more money and work. I bought my 2011 RKC brand new and spent another 5 grand right off the bat but it fits me perfectly and is worth it.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Don't know what's your experiences are with new Harleys, as my 2012 Road King was a completely different bike after 4,500 miles, I mean major changes. The breaks seated very well, stopping was much improved. The suspension was smoother not as rigid. actually the exhaust became a little deeper in sound as well. I really liked my FLHR when new, but after 4,500 miles this bike is simply awesome. Second phase got even better around 10,000 miles, especially with the clutch, is this possible?

I'm not sure what to expect as this scoot at 15,000 as for now every ride puts a huge smile on my face. When I pull it into the garage my sweet wife brings me out an ice cold beer, she looks at my face and says why are you smiling, where have you been? I said it was a great day and you made it even better...

Suggestion, don't be so critical about your scoot out of the box, give it time to break in, you will glad you waited. Your scoot is like a fine wine, it improves with age.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

Last edited by B Bop; 02-03-2017 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (02-03-2017)

Quick Reply: 2 Weeks In with New 2017 Road King