Sponsored by:

SE Street Cannons - W00t! Questions Though

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:09 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts
Default SE Street Cannons - W00t! Questions Though

As many of you may know I've been waffling over what slip-ons to go with since I got the RK last Sep. My plan was to hold off til I got the chance to see/hear more after market offerings come spring/summer. Well, needless to say, I couldn't wait. Got a chance to ride a RK with the torque cam and the Street Cannons last Friday. Wow, was really impressed all around. So, I broke down and got the SE slip-ons. Pleasantly surprised at how good they sound and look forward to them breaking in and opening up some more. Which leads to my questions. Right now they're very tame at idle. Will they stay this way or get louder/deeper (at idle) after break-in? Also, they sound like a 2 into 1 with most of the exhaust coming out the right side. Do they open up on the left to give it a more balanced sound? I assume so since I didn't notice it at all on the RK I rode last Fri. But it has the torque cam, so I wasn't sure how much of a player that is on the sound coming out of both pipes.

TIA - Yammy

Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2 into 1 will not change much. If you noticed the opening from the X pipe is much larger on the right exhaust. This by nature, and with a small crossover bike will route most of the exhaust pressure out the right side. That is by design.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

mine sound the same after 2000 miles..I like the 'tame' sound at idle and cracking open when I get on it..best of both worlds for me...I've had obnoxiously loud pipes and don't enjoy being a menace to everyone anymore in the neighborhood and around town

The following 4 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bradn (02-12-2017), cmashark (02-12-2017), crazytown (02-13-2017), YammyDrummer (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:55 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

What MJ said. I really like that I can baby it out of the neighborhood, and then bring it to life once out in the open.

I got to ride mine for the first time yesterday since doing a stage II back in December. I am thrilled with the entire setup, stage II really pulls, and the Cannon's are perfect for me. Plus, the cam really put more bark in the Cannon's. Still only have 80 miles on the bike, so couldn't really burry the throttle. But going to Bike Week, so as long as the weather cooperates, I'll have a full review when I get back home.

The following users liked this post:
YammyDrummer (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 01:07 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
mine sound the same after 2000 miles..I like the 'tame' sound at idle and cracking open when I get on it..best of both worlds for me...I've had obnoxiously loud pipes and don't enjoy being a menace to everyone anymore in the neighborhood and around town
I agree with MJWEBB. I am surprisingly happy with my Cannons. Mine got 8% louder (decibel meter) after about 700 miles and was told they will continue to get louder through about 2,000 miles, then they level off. Will do another measurements once the temps get above freezing! 2 more months...

The following users liked this post:
YammyDrummer (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

You will get tons of replies saying why you should or should not put cannons on. The only thing that matters is that YOU like them. Every one has different taste in sound so make sure you are happy and don't worry about pleasing others. I put cannons on my 17 SGS and knew from the very first start up I was not gonna be happy with them, again, just my opinion. I ate $200 on them with less than 100 miles but at least the guy who bought them got a sweet deal!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

once I get my bike back from the shop (doing stage II torque, vance and hines power duals, 10" LA bars, and fan assisted oil cooler) I will compare exhaust sounds.

before going in, bike had a stage I w/heavy breather, SE tuner, SE cannons on stock head pipes. When the bike comes back it will have the V&H power dual headers with VH eliminator slipons. The rest will stay the same. Plan is to take a sound clip of the V&H slipons, and then swapping back to the SE cannons for comparison.. obviously leaving the power duals. My gut tells me they will sound similar with the power duals. And if they do I may just keep the slash up cannons, which look better IMO, and sell the new VH slipons. both slipons are pretty much straight through..

Old 02-12-2017, 09:04 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

MJ, Brad, & Rick...thanks for the replies guys! Actually, your posts early on about the Street Cannons played a big part in my final decision. All of your positive reports, along with riding the owner's RK while they were doing the 5k, pretty much sealed the deal in the end. Happy with them so far, and can affirm they're a solid improvement in tone and volume over the stockers. Can't wait to get some more mile in so they really open up!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by YammyDrummer:
mjwebb (02-12-2017), riknbeth (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:31 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Im with MJ. I'm over the "look at me" pipes. I see bikes with loud pipes now and think to myself, "that dude ain't gonna be able to hear **** when he's older". I got the Cannons primarily for looks. And I'm very satisfied with my decision.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 PM
artie2908
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Street Cannnons VS Rineharts

thought you guys might find this interesting. I had a set of Rinehart slip ons on my 2017 SGS. About 2-3 weeks ago I had the dealer do a Stage II with a 447 torque cam. He dyno'd the bike before and after. After seeing the results of the Stage II, I was exactly thrilled. Thought it was short on both HP and torque. Not what I expected. Tech told me I was leaving a lot with my choice of slip ons. I always thought slip ons were for looks and sound. Sure, you might pick up a little but nothing to write home about. He had a set of SE Street Cannons in the shop and put them on to show me. Dyno'd the bike again. The only difference is the slip ons. Rinehart vs Street Cannons. While I like the sound of the Rineharts a little better-- deeper sound. The Street Cannons actually sound pretty decent. Considering the difference in the results--- I left the street cannons on. Now I know the tech could probably fudge some of the results on the dyno but I know this guy and trust him. Never would have believe there could be that much difference. (I used SE ventilator a/c, and SE Pro Street Tuner along with the Street Cannons)

Attached Thumbnails SE Street Cannons - W00t! Questions Though-img_2417.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by artie2908:
SirWraithe (02-13-2017), YammyDrummer (02-13-2017)

Quick Reply: SE Street Cannons - W00t! Questions Though