Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Clutch Lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I ordered the Oberon earlier today and just got the email that it's shipped! That's way faster than I expected - looking forward to this!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

I ordered an Oberon adjustable clutch lever for my '17 RGS last Thursday night, 4/20. It arrived today, 4/25, while I was installing new grips. I installed the lever, set it on the second closest setting, perfect. The clutch disengages perfectly and engages at about 3/4" off the handlebar. It fit very well, not any more slop up and down the the original lever. It does seem to be designed for smaller hands, but it is comfortable enough with my average size male hands. I took it for a ride. Caught a red light going up a steep hill. When the light turned green it was so much easier to take off with the clutch grabbing so quickly. Slow speed maneuvering is so much easier. This thing costs around $150.00 but it's worth the money to me. I could not get used to the way the stock setup engaged so far out. I doubt I'll get a matching brake lever at that price, but it is a nice well made piece.

I'd recommend the Oberon if you are like me and just can't get used to the action of the stock set up on a '17 Touring bike.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Ordered 1 myself last week due to the positive reviews here. I'm thinking this thread alone has boosted their sales some.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
Ordered 1 myself last week due to the positive reviews here. I'm thinking this thread alone has boosted their sales some.
There has been a fair number of people waiting for one that would fit the 2017. Word traveled fast , many of us have been waiting for it.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
There has been a fair number of people waiting for one that would fit the 2017. Word traveled fast , many of us have been waiting for it.
My only hesitation on getting one was I really want it to match brake lever, w/o having to replace it too. Not all that crazy about the ****, but in due time it'll be a non issue. Not like I see myself adjusting it all the time. Set it, forget it.
Bought some new take off levers off ebay to try to bend, but seller cancelled out stating he is out of stock. I think his $18 selling price for $250 levers changed his mind. lol

Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My only hesitation on getting one was I really want it to match brake lever, w/o having to replace it too. Not all that crazy about the ****, but in due time it'll be a non issue. Not like I see myself adjusting it all the time. Set it, forget it.
Bought some new take off levers off ebay to try to bend, but seller cancelled out stating he is out of stock. I think his $18 selling price for $250 levers changed his mind. lol
Softbrakes makes some stock clutch levers that are bent in for better reach. $50 or so. Not adjustable, but still an improvement and it matches the brake side.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 AM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I received both sides yesterday and the install for both was a total of 20 minutes including tool put away. Start with clutch side cuz it's the easiest and the handle removes with just the pivot pin. Brake side, I removed mirror and only loosened the switch shell after removing the reservoir clamp. Comes right out. You need T 25 and T 27. Easy peasy.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:17 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Bending does not work the same way. They hinged section on the adjustable lever. Kind of changes the pivot point. If I word that right.
I tried a bent lever before was not happy with it. The adjustment also come in handy if you change grips. If I had thick ones like on my FB on the RGU I would not be able to use the 2 setting. It is not for everyone.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Can't say enough for how much better the clutch release range is with the bent clutch lever.
Matches the brake lever and is all OEM.
IMO it's the way it should have come from the factory!
What do short-fingered females do for clutch control?
Bob

Old 04-26-2017, 04:29 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
I ordered an Oberon adjustable clutch lever for my '17 RGS last Thursday night, 4/20. It arrived today, 4/25, while I was installing new grips. I installed the lever, set it on the second closest setting, perfect. The clutch disengages perfectly and engages at about 3/4" off the handlebar. It fit very well, not any more slop up and down the the original lever. It does seem to be designed for smaller hands, but it is comfortable enough with my average size male hands. I took it for a ride. Caught a red light going up a steep hill. When the light turned green it was so much easier to take off with the clutch grabbing so quickly. Slow speed maneuvering is so much easier. This thing costs around $150.00 but it's worth the money to me. I could not get used to the way the stock setup engaged so far out. I doubt I'll get a matching brake lever at that price, but it is a nice well made piece.

I'd recommend the Oberon if you are like me and just can't get used to the action of the stock set up on a '17 Touring bike.
I received mine about 5 days ago-YUUUGE difference, although still deciding between setting 2 and 3. Don't care if the clutch lever doesn't match, in fact, I sort of like that asymmetric look. And yes, the M8 hydraulic clutch will make Oberon a Harley "Household" name.

Quick Reply: Reduced Reach Clutch Lever