Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Clutch Lever

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM
cemike
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 103luckygreenDude
I'd like to see reduced effort clutch, I swear my 2013 Dyna had a lever feel...
The Softbrake clutch lever reduces reach by about 1 inch. Which is great, but this also reduces lever effort by a large amount! It moves the lever in so that all your fingers can grab the lever. It also allows your hand to stay further out the grip and thus further from the pivot point.
I did need to file away some metal to allow the start lockout switch to extend enough for a in gear start. When I called Softbrake, their service is great, prompt and friendly!
I highly recommend Softbrake for a easy reach and easy effort clutch lever!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Nothing. The lever movement, which activates the neutral switch, remains the same except for the additional free-play at the "clutch engaged" end of the travel. This is a benefit of this approach vs. the bending the lever approach which could affect neutral switch operation.

If you do bend your lever be sure to check the neutral switch function before you call the job done. Bending the lever decreases lever movement. Depending on how much you bend it, you may need to modify the cam, or ramp, that interfaces with the neutral switch.

I bent my lever approx. one inch and had to file the ramp to allow for neutral switch function.
Did you heat the lever in order to bend it?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I was all excited about getting the Softbrake clutch lever. I ordered a +1W brake lever as well. (2017 Road Glide Ultra). After install, I liked both of them. I do not need a reduced reach clutch, but coming from a cable clutch to this hydraulic clutch, I wanted a more "middle" friction zone, which the Softbrake gave me. I also wanted grips with a palm swell, so I got a set of Avons. The clutch lever still worked, however, starting the bike in gear was a 50/50 shot. That didn't really bother me, but several times while slowing down to park, the bike stalled.

I took the Softbrake lever off, and since I had sent mine back to them for exchange already, I got a set of Boss Blades. Problem solved. The Softbrake lever is great, but only for stock grips. So, mine (which has about an hour of use) is for sale if anyone wants to try one without the exchange.

I love the brake lever.