Sponsored by:

New M8 oil cooler cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta52
A friend of mine just put one on his 17RGS in chrome. Looks good. However I plan to take the stock cover off & have it Carbon fiber dipped. Harley wants $150 & tax. for the chrome cover. I can get the stock one dipped for app $100 & just re-use it.
Just me but there is no way I would put $100 into that stock cracker jack cover. It offers zero protection and I do mean it is a cheap flimsy piece of plastic. For $50 more you get a metal cover with metal mesh that actually offers protection and is not just for looks. Yeah $150 sucks for it but if you are going $100 bucks in anyway why not go ahead and get a real cover. But that is just me, it's your money and your bike so do what makes you happy!

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I guess you could just add some mesh to the stock cover. That shiny paint and chrome stuff may end up ruined (sand blasted) after some good use and is more to keep clean.

Looks nice though.

Last edited by lp; 02-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I guess you could just add some mesh to the stock cover. That shiny paint and chrome stuff may end up ruined (sand blasted) after some good use and is more to keep clean.

Looks nice though.
Anything you put down there is gonna get tore up. At least this is one Harley product that offers practically along with being "shiny"

Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Hephaestus
Anything you put down there is gonna get tore up. At least this is one Harley product that offers practically along with being "shiny"
I agree and that's kinda my point. You're putting something down there that is going to get sandblasted and prob look like *** in a bit. Think I would keep the stocker and put some steel mesh in there for a buck - you know for "protection".

Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Before I put it on I put 3 coats of wax on it. Thats just the way I am, I wax/polish the whole bike every time I wash it, done this with every bike I've owned. I have put about 600 miles on the bike since I installed the cover and there is not so much as a bug splattered on it. The front fender is actually a little below it so nothing should hit it coming from the front tire. Not to say it wont get banged up but so far so good with a mix of back roads and interstate.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Before I put it on I put 3 coats of wax on it. Thats just the way I am, I wax/polish the whole bike every time I wash it, done this with every bike I've owned. I have put about 600 miles on the bike since I installed the cover and there is not so much as a bug splattered on it. The front fender is actually a little below it so nothing should hit it coming from the front tire. Not to say it wont get banged up but so far so good with a mix of back roads and interstate.
my wife and I have ridden together on some crappy days with roads full of wet leaves and pine needles, etc. her freewheeler with the sportier front fender allowed her oil cooler to become covered with debris, my Road King on the other hand pretty much was debris free..that fender skirt makes a big diff protecting the cooler from road grime and debris

Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by lp

Looks nice though.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Oil coolers have hung down there for ages, so I can't see getting excited about a cover now. In 40+ years I've never holed one. If extra protection is wanted just cut a piece of mesh and tie it on.

Plenty of other bling I can spend the SS checks on.

Nickatnyt (04-02-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:53 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Took the words right out of my mouth. Oil coolers have hung down there for ages, so I can't see getting excited about a cover now. In 40+ years I've never holed one. If extra protection is wanted just cut a piece of mesh and tie it on.

Plenty of other bling I can spend the SS checks on.
I can't make that claim, shovel ate 2 of them over the years and they were much higher up than my RK. I'm covering it one way or another, maybe drop a hint on mama about a late Xmas present.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Maybe you can protect it with a piece of cardboard.

mjwebb (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I can't make that claim, shovel ate 2 of them over the years and they were much higher up than my RK. I'm covering it one way or another, maybe drop a hint on mama about a late Xmas present.
My FX had a (Lockhart?) cooler; it was mounted in the same location as yours probably. Never had an issue with that, but DID suffer two bird strikes in as many years. PIA cleaning toasted bird goo from the front jug...

Quick Reply: New M8 oil cooler cover