Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:47 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
OK, I rode about 50 miles today after extending the spring all the way out to achieve a sag of 1 inch. I also had the damper set to ‘2’. My first impression: about $700 overpriced. So far, I am very unimpressed. The usual waviness of the road, minor imperfections, etc. are better but anything more than that is just as harsh as the stock suspension.

Based on all of the reviews that I have read on this site and others, I was really was expecting something much better than this, especially for $900. I feel like the improvement that I have achieved, I would pay $200 for.
This is with Legend’s walking me through the setup. The person I spoke with said he is my same weight and he gave me his exact set up as well. What sucks is, if we suspect these are defective, per the warranty I will have to pay shipping to send them back just for them to look and see if they are defective.

I am not done making adjustments, so I will update with any further news. I am at the airport right now and will not be back until Sunday night, so it will be a few days.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (05-10-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

I also forgot to mention that since the change to the Legend shocks, I have vibration in the right foot board only: the left is buttery smooth. This may not be something new, it could just be more visible now that I've removed a lot of road "noise" with the new suspension. I have also not checked drive belt tension since the suspension upgrade change.

For those of you with Legends on a Street Glide, how are you setting up your belt tension?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Ok, so I've adjusted more and more. I've made adjustments leaving for work and then again heading home. I'm adding more and more preload and it's getting better. I started with as little preload as I could based on the 1" sag rule, HOWEVER, while Legend says 1" sag is recommended, the appropriate encumbered LENGTH of the shock is what they target: 12" for 13" shock. So, when I'm sitting on the bike I need to target a 12" center-to-center length between the mounting bolts and hope I'm in the ballpark of 3/4" to 1" of sag.

Priorities.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Alright, I've now worked my way up to justifying about $400 of the cost! LOL I'm slowly getting closer to the setup I've been looking for: plush ride disconnected from the road. All the while, I've realized that if anyone would want a 'sport' suspension for their bike, the Legend Suspension will surely live up to that.

More and more preload is helping. You can see how I'm measuring preload in the picture below. I started with 2" from factory and it was too harsh. I then went all the way down to nothing. Now from the picture you can see I'm at 1" of preload. I've been increasing preload by 1/4" before every ride, and then during the ride stopping a couple times to adjust rebound setting. I'm guessing one or two more adjustments will get me what I like, and hopefully justifying the full cost!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

sounds like you're getting it dialed in..I always follow the 30% sag / preload setting with my weight on the bike dictating what that ends up at..usually pretty spot on and a one and done exercise

Old 05-17-2019, 01:06 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
sounds like you're getting it dialed in..I always follow the 30% sag / preload setting with my weight on the bike dictating what that ends up at..usually pretty spot on and a one and done exercise
Thanks, mj. I bet if I measure I'll be somewhere around that 30%...

Yeah, I'm getting it dialed it. One major find was the rebound setting. The instructions say that the lower the number on the dial, the softer it is. Well, I was going back and forth between 1, 2, and 3. I put it on 4 and now we're starting to glide over bumps. I put it on 6 for the heck of it and it was WAY too much dampening - started bottoming out. So, I've got to get in touch with Legend to figure out why the numbers are backwards, or why I don't understand what the instructions say.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-17-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Thanks, mj. I bet if I measure I'll be somewhere around that 30%...

Yeah, I'm getting it dialed it. One major find was the rebound setting. The instructions say that the lower the number on the dial, the softer it is. Well, I was going back and forth between 1, 2, and 3. I put it on 4 and now we're starting to glide over bumps. I put it on 6 for the heck of it and it was WAY too much dampening - started bottoming out. So, I've got to get in touch with Legend to figure out why the numbers are backwards, or why I don't understand what the instructions say.
I've got an email sent to Legend to understand why 6 is softer than 1, when the instructions say the opposite. Hoping to hear back tomorrow. Also, I only hear one shock hiss when I bounce on the bike... Wondering if one shock is bad.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Well, was planning on riding to Myrtle Beach and back today, but the pre-ride inspection found a nail in my rear tire... We'll see how my first DiscountESP experience goes tomorrow! I have about 6,000 miles on the American Elites.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Well, was planning on riding to Myrtle Beach and back today, but the pre-ride inspection found a nail in my rear tire... We'll see how my first DiscountESP experience goes tomorrow! I have about 6,000 miles on the American Elites.
I made my first call to Discount ESP First Extended Service Corporation this morning to open a claim for the nail in my rear tire. Spoiler Alert: Nothing negative to say so far, the following is just my boring personal account containing all the details I can remember from the call.

Per the Extended Service Agreement, "To ensure coverage under the terms of this Extended Service Agreement authorization must be obtained prior to repair." So, I gave them a call, pressed "1" for the agreement-holder option, spoke the last eight digits of my VIN, waited for three minutes, and then Pedro answered. Pedro asked for my name, the last eight of the VIN, and the make and model of the vehicle. After telling him, "Harley Street Glide" he asked me if I had purchased the contract from the Harley dealer in Janesvillle, to which I replied, "yes", since, technically, I did (as it is written in the agreement). Pedro mentioned he could see the coverage, and asked me if I was having a problem with the vehicle. I told him that I have what looks to be nail in the rear tire. Pedro looked over the agreement, asked me if I was near the Janesville dealer and I said, "No, I'm in Georgia at the moment." I was put on a brief hold while Pedro looked over the contract and upon his return he said the agreement says that I am that far away, I can take the vehicle anywhere for repairs, and he then asked if I will need towing or if I will be riding the motorcycle to the repair facility (with a nail in the tire, mind you)... I stated it probably wouldn't be safe to ride there with a nail in the tire. Pedro informed me that the agreement allows for reimbursement for pickup (i.e. towing) for up to $100. Pedro now informed me that once I get to a repair facility, I need to inform them of the service agreement and give the repair facility all the information and have the repair facility call First Extended so they can "work out the parts and labor." I asked if any sort of pre-authorization number was needed and Pedro said no, just the last eight of the VIN.

That's it... so far. Now time to figure out if Timms of Augusta can get me in this week to mount an American Elite (and maybe get the clutch recall work done?).

Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

I made my first call to Discount ESP First Extended Service Corporation this morning to open a claim for the nail in my rear tire. Spoiler Alert: Nothing negative to say so far, the following is just my boring personal account containing all the details I can remember from the call.

Per the Extended Service Agreement, "To ensure coverage under the terms of this Extended Service Agreement authorization must be obtained prior to repair." So, I gave them a call, pressed "1" for the agreement-holder option, spoke the last eight digits of my VIN, waited for three minutes, and then Pedro answered. Pedro asked for my name, the last eight of the VIN, and the make and model of the vehicle. After telling him, "Harley Street Glide" he asked me if I had purchased the contract from the Harley dealer in Janesvillle, to which I replied, "yes", since, technically, I did (as it is written in the agreement). Pedro mentioned he could see the coverage, and asked me if I was having a problem with the vehicle. I told him that I have what looks to be nail in the rear tire. Pedro looked over the agreement, asked me if I was near the Janesville dealer and I said, "No, I'm in Georgia at the moment." I was put on a brief hold while Pedro looked over the contract and upon his return he said the agreement says that I am that far away, I can take the vehicle anywhere for repairs, and he then asked if I will need towing or if I will be riding the motorcycle to the repair facility (with a nail in the tire, mind you)... I stated it probably wouldn't be safe to ride there with a nail in the tire. Pedro informed me that the agreement allows for reimbursement for pickup (i.e. towing) for up to $100. Pedro now informed me that once I get to a repair facility, I need to inform them of the service agreement and give the repair facility all the information and have the repair facility call First Extended so they can "work out the parts and labor." I asked if any sort of pre-authorization number was needed and Pedro said no, just the last eight of the VIN.

That's it... so far. Now time to figure out if Timms of Augusta can get me in this week to mount an American Elite (and maybe get the clutch recall work done?).
no discussion of tread wear depth playing into a yes / no coverage?

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX