Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal review of the SG M8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Glad you liked it. I know every mile keeps getting better for me. With the vent open I think the wind turbulance is much better though

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Tony P, nice review. I see in your signature, you're coming from a Dyna. Any comments on the handling difference between the 2? I'm on a Switchback, but made the very stupid mistake of test riding an M8 RK and was very impressed with it. I'm wondering how livable the additional mass is to manage day to day.
My Dyna is at least 150 pounds lighter, thus, it's much better in parking lots and u-turns. The Dyna is just a great all-around scoot. The SG is superior on the interstate. More stable. It gave me a feeling of security when running down the highway at 80. Honestly, if you have a lot of miles under your belt, the SG (or RK) will be a short learning curve and would suit your need for a variety of riding scenarios. All this being said, my Dyna makes me feel like I'm on a Harley. The M8 is great, but it's so refined it reminded me of a good metric.

rauchman (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:27 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,237 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
My Dyna is at least 150 pounds lighter, thus, it's much better in parking lots and u-turns. The Dyna is just a great all-around scoot. The SG is superior on the interstate. More stable. It gave me a feeling of security when running down the highway at 80. Honestly, if you have a lot of miles under your belt, the SG (or RK) will be a short learning curve and would suit your need for a variety of riding scenarios. All this being said, my Dyna makes me feel like I'm on a Harley. The M8 is great, but it's so refined it reminded me of a good metric.
Excellent info! Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Good write up. I'm only 325 into my SGS as the weather has the roads either snowed or salted, but so far I like it better than my old Super Glide and much more than my 103 Road King. The only thing I'm not a fan of so far is the clutch, I may have to roll the whole thing forward some, but it seems like a harder pull than the RK and the friction point is right out at the end of the travel. Once I'm used to it, I'll probably forget it bothered me.

Also, it might just be me but with a 7" LRS Recurve - turbulence is reduced when I open the vent. ( I also have the fork fangs and a between fork deflector and the air pocket is dead quiet, I think I could probably light a cigar )

Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
They keep an engine in production usually around 17 years. They would not have invested as much money in the M8 just to toss it out in two or three years, especially since it was a completey new design, not a simple refresh or displacement increase of the twin cam.

I think some people are reading too much into the Euroweinie bullshit and internet rumors.
Don't forget that there is an air cooled and liquid cooled version, and the differences are minimal. From an engineering and manufacturing standpoint, these changes are insignificant. Really, what is needed to go from air to liquid cooled on the current M8? Based on the internals and cutaways I've seen, very little - nothing would need redesigned or reworked.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a 2015 street glide and turbulence is definitely reduced with the vent open. The only time I close it, is if i get caught in the rain, it seems to keep me a little drier

Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Exactly, the vent should be open to reduce buffeting.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
The M8 is great, but it's so refined it reminded me of a good metric.
I rented an M8 SG last month. I agree it was just a bit too refined, and I ride a softail. I didn't care for the clutch, but got used to it. Right at 60, my glasses bounced around, but at 75 the windscreen worked well with slot open.

On long sweepers, I could feel just a hint of that bagger wobble. The bars never shook, never wobbled, but just undulating feeling that I comes more from the batwing than anything else. Brakes were great, so great I noticed how lacking mine were in comparison when I got home. Handling was good, predictable, and easy to ride. Good seat, but the GF says my Fatboy seat is way more comfy. Needed a bit more motor shake and some pipes. Had fun on it though.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2017 SG very nice handling bike , clutch is different as most people or saying but I'll get use to it . Good bike planning keeping it a long time . I really like the motor .

Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Funny thing is when I rode a 2017 Street Glide I didn't even notice the clutch or give it a second thought. I wonder if it is because twin cam guys were used to a faster idle compare to the M8 idle speed is close to an Evo?

I ride an Evo Heritage so the Street Glide was a lot different for me, but I liked it. I liked it a lot better than the twin cam bikes I finally tried. I really didn't like those but can't point to a specification or anything that demonstrates why. I do like the M8 and it has the immediacy that my well tuned Evo has. That is what I find is lacking in a stock twin cam but is present in the M8. Just a preference and not a slam against twin cammers.

The suspension and brakes were so good on the 2017 Street Glide that I ended up ordering some upgrades for my old bike afterwards.

Tony P (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Personal review of the SG M8