Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by simplysql
I ordered a C&C seat last week - should arrive late this week or next - they are awesome to deal with and very responsive. I could not find one bad review on them anywhere. My only complaint is that there are too many choices!!
show it when you get it, and tell us what you think of the seat.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Borrowed my neighbors wind splitter tonight and it was a win for me. For ME. Not my wife. She doesn’t like it. The wind is hitting her in the top of the helmet sitting behind me. We will have to try again because there was a really heavy crosswind tonight that didn’t really help anything.

But as for me and the shield, really felt great. Nice clean air paired with my fangs. Pointed the vent right at my face and had virtually no buffeting up to 85mph. And that’s good with me. Will be returning the Freedom shields as of right now and ordering a wind spitter. Of course, no one has one for sale when I’m a buyer. Hahah. As far as the wife, we’ll either go shieldless when she’s on, or I may consider looking into Laminar making a lip for me to see if that will help her. We’ll see tho.
What helped me with my windsplitter and riding two up was pointing the vent at the top of my head instead of my face. Hold a steady speed and point it at your face while gradually directing it up until you get buffeting. It should in turn go over your passenger's head too, assuming your passenger isn't significantly taller than you.The only thing the windsplitter is really good for is keeping the wind off your chest, the bugs off your face, and it looks better than any of the other shields. I used mine for roughly 8k of the 12k miles I rode last year and I don't think I'm going to put it back on at this point. It's not going to be as good on long hauls as a taller shield would be, and I wear a full face helmet anyways, so I'm not worried about rain or bugs on my face. If you use a rider's backrest or have a passenger to lean against, you won't really notice any more fatigue on long rides without it.

The following users liked this post:
jlb2782 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 AM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
What helped me with my windsplitter and riding two up was pointing the vent at the top of my head instead of my face. Hold a steady speed and point it at your face while gradually directing it up until you get buffeting. It should in turn go over your passenger's head too, assuming your passenger isn't significantly taller than you.The only thing the windsplitter is really good for is keeping the wind off your chest, the bugs off your face, and it looks better than any of the other shields. I used mine for roughly 8k of the 12k miles I rode last year and I don't think I'm going to put it back on at this point. It's not going to be as good on long hauls as a taller shield would be, and I wear a full face helmet anyways, so I'm not worried about rain or bugs on my face. If you use a rider's backrest or have a passenger to lean against, you won't really notice any more fatigue on long rides without it.
Thanks man. I will keep that all in mind. I have a CVO seat with no backrest. So this will help a lot on trips. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work 2-up, I'll go without. I have her to lean back on. Looking at new ones now, unless you want to sell yours

Update: Scratch that, just found one on ebay!!

Last edited by jlb2782; 05-16-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:12 AM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Received 596 Likes on 343 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
wow thats nice, looks great, where did you get it and price. thanks.
Originally Posted by OscarN
Wind splitter does look cool on RKS. I still get some buffeting, but decided that style is worth some comfort loss.

Originally Posted by SkullsAndChrome

The Wind Splitter is installed. It fits the RKS perfectly. Very happy with my choice.

Does the windsplitter mount at a certain angle , can that be moved around, my apes are pushed forward and not sure if it will hit. Mine came in and i will try and mount it today and i guess i will find out :-)

Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 AM
TStew1
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the windsplitter mount at a certain angle , can that be moved around, my apes are pushed forward and not sure if it will hit. Mine came in and i will try and mount it today and i guess i will find out :-)
Your shield will likely hit your bars. Options are:
1) modify the shield you just bought by cutting it to fit around your bars
2) make brackets that extend the top mount point out so the shield is more vertically angled
3) roll your bars back to make it fit

Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM
astromikey
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2019 flhrxs

Couple hundred miles into my new road king special ... ventilator intake and khrome works slip ons (and tuner). Ordered some KST renegade bars ... hoping they fit well. Anyone else have the renegades? Anything I should be ready for with installing them? I did order the electrical extension with them ... KST said I would need to.

Oil, Gas & Leather (05-08-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:51 PM
SkullsAndChrome
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
Your shield will likely hit your bars. Options are:
1) modify the shield you just bought by cutting it to fit around your bars
2) make brackets that extend the top mount point out so the shield is more vertically angled
3) roll your bars back to make it fit
Yep. What TStew1 said. Easiest thing to do without modification is to roll the bars back. Had to roll mine back a half an inch.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM
tdoggz
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by astromikey
Couple hundred miles into my new road king special ... ventilator intake and khrome works slip ons (and tuner). Ordered some KST renegade bars ... hoping they fit well. Anyone else have the renegades? Anything I should be ready for with installing them? I did order the electrical extension with them ... KST said I would need to.
You should consider KST's Vanguard series bars. I have the Vanguard Spearheads which are similar to the Renegades.

Oil, Gas & Leather (05-08-2020)
Old 05-18-2019, 02:07 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Received 596 Likes on 343 Posts

Added my windsplitter last night, first ride was on my way to work this morning . Still need to play with it but was getting buffeting and I’m 6ft. Still much better than no shield .

had to pull my handlebars back about an inch .

The following 2 users liked this post by GreenMonster:
jtb4ever (06-29-2019), OscarN (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:47 PM
DenisLM
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have one windsplitter on my way and I'm already looking for ways to change the bracket angle to improve the expected buffeting and powercoat it black..
I'll find out how bad is this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD